Question on: How to improve yourself as an LoL player.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rEv3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilifalre View Post
Play 1 Champ for a long time.

learn every other champions combos/limitations, EX Garen can't catch up to you after Q movespeed runs out without a summoner spell so while laning you can always turn around and harass him with ranged auto atks as he runs back to the creep wave.

Items, figure out how you can build ur picked char for the game, with the exception of boots and ur favorite starting item you should never automatically build items, always consider whats best.

Play a game, preferably a custom game in which you ward just about the whole map, teemo is a good char for this game since extra movespeed and mushrooms will help you acheive this. Watch the enemy teams movements using those wards, eventually you should be able to assume pretty closely what the enemy team is doing without wards just by what u see in lane.
here's another tip, never, ever, use teemo. not until your super pro. the rule is that the good teemo is always on the other team.

rEv3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropoftheGun View Post
I think we're talking about running in two different situations, I'm looking at running after a gank or something, but after a bad gank where 2 of your allies go down before you can even start fighting, that's when I think you should run.

also if someone gets picked off while withdrawing from a gank, the only reason to turn around and save them is if you can do so outside the reach of the enemy's zone. Otherwise they're a lost cause and should take one for the team.

I agree, backing away safely to lead someone into a trap is very useful to know how to pull off.
they aren't a lost cause. if you have more hp than them, you can try to grab some focus and that might make the difference between them living and dying. i dont mean you should make a stand, just make sure they can't concentrate entirely on your ally or that they will doubt that they can turret dive... which can even make the difference if you have another ally on their way to reinforce you.

letting your ally die alone hurts your team in the long run.

unR Mohrisbetter

05-22-2011

Short and sweet: Don't blame others for your losses and deaths. Sure, theres times where your allies completely let you down, but every game you should be asking yourself what you could have done better. What opportunity did you miss? What enemy weakness did you not take advantage of? No one plays a perfect game.

DropoftheGun

05-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrisbetter View Post
Short and sweet: Don't blame others for your losses and deaths. Sure, theres times where your allies completely let you down, but every game you should be asking yourself what you could have done better. What opportunity did you miss? What enemy weakness did you not take advantage of? No one plays a perfect game.
I like it, I used to blame other people for my deaths but then i realized that I should know what I can or cannot do with my current team members.

Pyrinoc

05-23-2011

A note on the playing with one champion thing:

I did this for about a month where I just played nothing but Irelia. It didn't matter whether she really meshed with my team or not (Although Irelia fits into a lot of teams just fine), I just picked Irelia and went in. Not only has my game as Irelia far surpassed my game with any other champions, I found that when I went back to play other champions (Ashe, Katarina, some others) I was far better with them as well.

Playing only as Irelia allowed me to train myself to instinctively react to different situations and use her abilities correctly (most of the time, I'll never be a master of any champion). Because of this, I was able to spend a lot of time training up my map awareness, last hitting, teamfight positioning, etc.

If you switch champions a lot, you have to spend a lot more time thinking about their abilities, which stops you from being able to practice the other things you really want to learn.

DieWithKaos

05-26-2011

i agree with alyzar. dont doubt you self. if you do then you'll only end up losing. keep practicing a specific situation over and over that you have trouble with and eventually it will work its self into your memory and you'll react faster than a fat kid on a chocolate cake. practice makes perfect...if you can perfect this game....so far it seems like no one can fully master it...but that could just be my opinion

Angelbelle

05-26-2011

Im a 1350-1400 player so don't take me so seriously. I find that there are many times in a game when I need to make an educated guess->risk. I often watch high ELO streams and sometimes they push at low lvls. At first, I think, wow wouldn't you get ganked? And surely, sometimes it does happen, but since they know the timing of everything (i presume they know approx what lvl and where the jungler is), they can correctly evaluate the risk:reward and make the right decision. Sometimes even HSGG gets ganked from bushes or when he overextends, but more often than not, he doesnt.

YourRoleModel

05-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropoftheGun View Post
paraphrased... NOTE: Please don't flame, I'm legitimately asking for some help from good players here.

...No. I go from great to terrible like florescent bulb...

...I just don't know how to act in certain situations...

There are times when I just go in thinking I can handle a fight, when all of a sudden out of the bushes comes a(n) <insert nemesis champion here> and destroys me.

I then think to myself: "Hey, you knew that they weren't on the map, why did you go in?"

-DropoftheGun
Let me guess. Some games, you are on a team with effective teammates or the opposing team is less effective and you win. After, one of the guys on your team says something like, "My Champ, FTW! Celebrate MY greatness!"

Other games, the opposing team is just better, and in the heat of the moment, you make a few mistakes. You'd apologize, but, before you can, someone on your own team is typing "ALL: DropoftheGun = Noob, feeder."

Even if you're barely down in the game, this guy is so busy criticizing you and not paying attention to what he's doing that it throws off your game, his game, and your whole team in a painful loss that he blames you 100% for.

Right?

Just know that I don't really think any of this makes you bad.

For these players, when they try for a move but miss or fall just short or get bested... THEY were good but just misclicked or had lag or, even though they are god's gift to League, they got "slightly" outplayed by a pro.

For these same players, if you make ANY mistakes, it's because you're a noob who should uninstall. You could make the exact SAME mistake that he just excused himself for, but, do these griefers have a friggin nanoparticle of perspective, or people skills, or leadership? No. But that's probably your fault too. Right? Are you feeling like I'm understanding exactly the problem yet?

After playing League, do you walk away with less respect for humanity in general and have to struggle against those feelings?

Yeah...

Ok. Before each game, tell yourself that this gaming community literally has a reputation that is deserved of being one of the worst in any game ever, in spite of this being one of the best games available.

Then, tell yourself that they've got a tribunal out, and maybe it'll slowly get slightly better.

Finally... just keep playing. You know the right stuff to do. Buy wards, watch the mini-map, learn the champs.

You're level 30, you're decent... but to learn every champ and always remember the basics in every situation takes lots of practice. Sometimes you'll get caught up in a moment and get jumped.

You'll keep learning and getting better and by the time you have 300 wins, you'll be wrecking most "new" level 30s.

But when you get there, a whole new level of elitists with 800 wins will be telling you that you're a worthless noob who should uninstall because you misclicked a ward placement during a winning effort.

There are people with decent character who play this game... but the percentage of ignorant jerks is very, very high that your chances of playing a game with all decent human beings is very low.

Keep that in mind before you play and try to remember that it's not that you're a bad player, but that you're playing with unreasonable people who only forgive their OWN mistakes in a game and never anyone elses.

Then keep hoping that the tribunal will eventually cause these people to try to display the slightest attempt at being a good teammate and take comfort.

Hope that helps.

The level of frustration you can feel with this community is unmatched by almost anything else in life.

paShadoWn

05-26-2011

Hehe. A good question indeed XD
Well, hulloa tiny people there, i am that Warwick out of nowhere.
If you lack pride and patience to refrain from begging for tips, here they are. With a high (possibly lethal) price of your self-development attached. Though you shall die most likely regardless.

First source of a sharp decline of fresh-baked level30 Riot Bots is a mental corruption. So-called Elo Hell is populated by many people specializing at insidious mind-control aimed at turning their opponents into insane, twitching, babbling prey they call "re_tar_ded n00b". (This paradigm works quite well on office, plantation and s_e_x slaves-from-birth, but, as War of North and South had revealed, comes with drawbacks. Namely, the slavers faring not much better than their prey when someone takes it to slaughter them en masse). Counter to this is quite simple: forget about trusting "guidance" and shut your mind tight (go watch "The Phantom Menace" to see what happens to guidance-abused). And throw multi-layered barrier over it. And never ever read the chat. After all, as the Warhammer saying goes, "an open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded". There are people like Japanese warlords who held their castle gates wide open, but they have their reasons.

Second, there is an advice from Darth Vader and Udyr: TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. Not your mortal enemy who randomed in same "team".

And third, a hint from Aranthir: life is a great dance, some people simply danced its figures for longer. When you shall learn to dance on the map, there would be no "nowhere" any longer.

PathlessSage

05-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEv3 View Post
they aren't a lost cause. if you have more hp than them, you can try to grab some focus and that might make the difference between them living and dying. i dont mean you should make a stand, just make sure they can't concentrate entirely on your ally or that they will doubt that they can turret dive... which can even make the difference if you have another ally on their way to reinforce you.

letting your ally die alone hurts your team in the long run.
Except that, depending on your champion, they can be a lost cause. If they're getting ganked, regardless of whether it's 1-5 champions killing them...even laying down a stun or trying to provide a distraction can backfire on you. The advice on this matter is situational of course, but you're making it sound like it's a given. I'm still fairly new, with most of my experience being with AP burst champions whom have stuns...and I've had a number of times where I tried helping out a teammate from as far away as possible with a stun, and just died along with them for it.

Yes, letting your ally die alone can be a bad thing, but on the other hand, so is dieing by their side without accomplishing anything, just because you were trying to help.

My piece of advice is to watch for the patterns in how they're playing their champions. Are they moving up to use a skillshot against you every time it comes off cooldown? Do they start backing off just after using their harass skill? How much damage will it take for them to move back? You know, stuff like that. It'll give you a feel for how aggressively or how safely they're playing, when you should back off, when they might be preparing to go for the kill, etc.