Question on: How to improve yourself as an LoL player.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IkomaTanomori

05-22-2011

As I've been learning LoL, one important lesson I've discovered is, "first learn cowardice, then learn aggression."

It's far more important to know the situations you should be careful and cowardly, because dying multiple times in the early game will feed up the enemy team and really hurt your team mid game. Such as, if you just killed both the people in your lane, and there's no MIAs, then it's safe to push the first tower for sure - but if it's not absolutely sure, you'd be better off hanging back around the midpoint of the river and just focusing on your last-hitting game. If you don't have a reflexive feel for your own champion and the enemy champions you're against, playing conservatively will prevent deaths, and playing aggressively won't yield kills.

Once you've internalized the necessary cowardice that keeps you from chasing and diving and feeding unneccessarily, you can work on being aggressive as appropriate to your character. Carries tend to have some kind of "poke" ability to harass with. Beefy characters can face-check bushes and make a fight of it when they find someone there. Some people, like Morde or Mundo or Jarvan, have the best of both worlds. So on and so forth. Each little aggressive thing you learn to do safely will increase how dangerous you are to lane opponents, and in team fights. Whether this means playing the ranged carry and learning the awareness needed to always stay out of reach while plinking enemies or playing the tank, and building against the other team's damage types to not care what they do, or learning the right moment to go in as Master Yi and carve faces.

Another thing that helped me was having friends who play and are already skilled. Playing with them and listening to what they tell me to do and not to do over Vent really helps. They give me the advice at the time when it applies, which makes for much better association of information.

Melvear

05-22-2011

I'm no pro either, so take this with a grain of salt. I used to do terribly in many games, and do very well in others, as you have described, and now I find I'm much more stable in my playing, and I've changed 3 things:

1: I played the same character for a very long sequence. This means that I actually know what that character is capable of, instead of "having a good idea" about what he can do. I used to play character in small sequence, maybe 3-4 games and switch when I did poorly with them. This lead to me not really having any focus and not knowing where my limits were. This also plays a huge role in what you asked about, when to act how. My biggest failure in team fights was engaging at the wrong time. As a dps, you engage after the tank, always targeting the weakest, and often most dangerous character. As a support, you protect your dps and help in any other way your character is capable of (Storm in with Janna, silence their nuker with Soraka, aoe stun them with Sona etc). It may be tempting to protect the tank since he's taking a ton of damage, but he's not your main concern, since he's not the onw who will be able to kill anything. As a tank, you're there to engage, which means you need to coordinate with your team, and you're there to distract the opposing team into thinking you're a menace. If they're beating on you and your team is actively attacking them, you have succeeded in your role, even if you die. This is of course just an overall idea, but you'll learn what and when to do things as you gain experience with your character.

2: Play carefully. I was always told by friends that I overextended, or that I was taking risks that weren't worth it. And while they were right, I just didn't know exactly how to adjust. But the gist of it is, if you aren't 100% sure you can complete a kill without risking your own life as well, don't do it. This goes for all the game's phases. While laning, harassing is fine, but don't commit to a fight if you aren't sure you can both kill your opponent AND survive (either dying to a tower because you dove or to their laning partner because it took too long to complete the kill). There's nothing inherently wrong with being at the end of laning phase and not having a kill to your name, as long as you also have no deaths. Focus on last hitting (which is a concept that is so hard to get for newer players, until they realize *why* it's so important) and getting experience.

3: communicate. Obviously, this means calling MIA whenever possible, but it also means communicating with your lane partner to coordinate a kill (Asking your Sion partner to stun or your janna partner to shield you and prepare a WW) and also with your other teammates. If you are capable of pushing towers, you can attempt to backdoor while they stall the other team, but they'll be much more receptive to this idea if they know why you aren't with them for the fight (and it may allow you team to not be aced because they know they only have to stall them, not fight them).

This is the basics that allowed me to go from mediocre player to slightly above average. Still a lot to learn, but hey, if you aren't learning anything, it's no fun

rEv3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkomaTanomori View Post
As I've been learning LoL, one important lesson I've discovered is, "first learn cowardice, then learn aggression."
wrong, that's why everyone in this game sucks.

learn to protect your team before yourself. that is all.

SullenEyes

05-22-2011

My suggestions would be to play either co-op v. AI games (intermediate does some ganks). With that in mind, I would also suggest the following:
-Play with a mentor - either a friend or one of the friendly people from the new player forum groups who are dedicated to teaching people. They may be able to play against you in a custom game to help let you practice NOT getting jumped from the bushes through various techniques (map awareness, wards, instinct, etc.) or they may play with you to point out when you're putting yourself at risk.
-Pick a ranged carry who doesn't have a lot of escape mechanisms and try solo pushing a lane whenever possible. You will die. A lot. You will also get paranoid and learn the intuitive "run away" timing of when an enemy or three disappears from mid to come gunning for you and when you need to run to avoid them. Point out to your team that you are doing this, which will let them push another lane as a group, to help minimize hate.
-As another poster said, try picking a champ and sticking with them until you get the instinctive reaction for their abilities. Do they have an escape mechanism that you just fail to utilize like you should? Try focusing on that more, even if you do it a little too early, until your fingers do what you want before you really think too much about it.
-Play all the free champs each week in a practice game. I find that playing tanks has forced me to up my game in all areas, including positioning, map awareness and knowing when to lead my team bbbbbbbb. It will also let you fail horribly with champs you are normally afraid of or who seem "super OPzomg!" and give you more familiarity with different champs abilities, skills, ranges a limitations.

tl;dr - Practice in a variety of ways while focusing on what you want to get better at. It will come to you.

Good luck and happy surviving

DropoftheGun

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzar View Post
The game that you went 1/6/4 as Katarina had a REALLY bad item build.

Thanks for the reply, but just to justify that failure: I just bought Kat with IP and just used the best rated guide on leaguecraft, I'm using LC to figure out the general builds for different types of champs and eventually I'm hoping to get my own builds figured out.

DropoftheGun

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEv3 View Post
wrong, that's why everyone in this game sucks.

learn to protect your team before yourself. that is all.
I disagree, if you can't defend yourself, how can you defend your team? The skills you use to protect yourself provide major insight into preventing the enemy team from destroying the 3 other allied champs you're running away with if you know what you can do to prevent them from catching your team as well as surviving.

In any case, all of the replies to far have been mostly constructive, and I really appreciate it.

A lot of what's been said has crossed my mind subconsciously but I've never actually thought about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeryC View Post
TS sounds like he really wants to learn ^^

as u said "out of the bush" ....looks like u/yr team aren't using wards.

protect your ass/back with wards when u push/run to places without vision
I definitely want to learn =] Being bad at something and giving up without trying a new approach is a bad way to approach things in general.

I've always meant to buy wards, but it just doesn't cross my mind, and now it will.

Thanks guys! Keep em comin. I'm hoping this will get stickied or summarized and then stickied in the long run.

rEv3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropoftheGun View Post
I disagree, if you can't defend yourself, how can you defend your team? The skills you use to protect yourself provide major insight into preventing the enemy team from destroying the 3 other allied champs you're running away with if you know what you can do to prevent them from catching your team as well as surviving.
why are you running away? that's what i mean by people playing wrong. you don't run away, you retreat. it's different. but most people run and that seems to be the advice you're getting and the advice you were looking for. but that's the advice that makes people suck. don't ever run. that kills your team. move backwards. bait them. support each other. but don't run.

edit: and most importantly, if you have to leave.. you tell them that you are going b, but don't go far enough that you can't help them if they get attacked.

DropoftheGun

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEv3 View Post
why are you running away? that's what i mean by people playing wrong. you don't run away, you retreat. it's different. but most people run and that seems to be the advice you're getting and the advice you were looking for. but that's the advice that makes people suck. don't ever run. that kills your team. move backwards. bait them. support each other. but don't run.

edit: and most importantly, if you have to leave.. you tell them that you are going b, but don't go far enough that you can't help them if they get attacked.
I think we're talking about running in two different situations, I'm looking at running after a gank or something, but after a bad gank where 2 of your allies go down before you can even start fighting, that's when I think you should run.

also if someone gets picked off while withdrawing from a gank, the only reason to turn around and save them is if you can do so outside the reach of the enemy's zone. Otherwise they're a lost cause and should take one for the team.

I agree, backing away safely to lead someone into a trap is very useful to know how to pull off.

kentuckychicken

05-22-2011

Stick to one champion and learn how to play him good, when to attack and when to retreat, which stuff to buy, etc. After you get bored, play someone else. Eventually you will master a few champions and be able to pwn with all of them.

Ilifalre

05-22-2011

Play 1 Champ for a long time.

learn every other champions combos/limitations, EX Garen can't catch up to you after Q movespeed runs out without a summoner spell so while laning you can always turn around and harass him with ranged auto atks as he runs back to the creep wave.

Items, figure out how you can build ur picked char for the game, with the exception of boots and ur favorite starting item you should never automatically build items, always consider whats best.

Play a game, preferably a custom game in which you ward just about the whole map, teemo is a good char for this game since extra movespeed and mushrooms will help you acheive this. Watch the enemy teams movements using those wards, eventually you should be able to assume pretty closely what the enemy team is doing without wards just by what u see in lane.