Question on: How to improve yourself as an LoL player.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DropoftheGun

05-22-2011

Basically the topic.

NOTE: Please don't flame, I'm legitimately asking for some help from good players here.

I'm currently level 30, which normally means I should be pretty decent at the game, right?

No. I go from great to terrible like florescent bulb goes from hot to cold (I might be referencing the wrong type but w/e)

I can clearly identify the problem, but I don't know how to go about fixing it.

here's the problem:

I just don't know how to act in certain situations.

There are times when I just go in thinking I can handle a fight, when all of a sudden out of the bushes comes a(n) <insert nemesis champion here> and destroys me.

I then think to myself: "Hey, you knew that they weren't on the map, why did you go in?"

Does anyone know of a good way to stop this from happening?
I'm asking for something like a way to practice this without the pressure of a real match (i.e. Co-op/custom) with an idea of HOW I'm going to practice it in the game.

I feel like the first response is going to be "just remember to double check what you're about to do" but that isn't very instinctive to new MOBA players, and even though I'm level 30 I would still consider myself to be VERY new to this genre of game.

Constructive replies /win

-DropoftheGun

Alyzar

05-22-2011

I hate to say this, but you either have it, or you don't.

MOBAs take a special type of person that can adapt easily to any given situation without freaking out and can analyze a situation without over thinking it. It's not something you can learn, and knowing everything about the game and knowing how to adapt to a situation can only get you so far when it comes to having 1-2 seconds to react.

You need the instinct, and you need to think less and simply KNOW what to do without thinking about it. That being said, none of your scores so far seem incredibly awful or pathetic. Your item builds could use work though. The game that you went 1/6/4 as Katarina had a REALLY bad item build. Something that works for me is to never doubt yourself. Everyone has their own way of playing. I prefer an extremely aggressive approach most of the time and play with people that feel the same. You also seem to value snowball items which are somewhat reliant on luck so that may be why you feel like you are doing awful sometimes and amazing other times.

Etherimp

05-22-2011

Try different characters. If you have a "nemesis" character, try playing as that character. It helps to learn their weaknesses and strengths and how they can be exploited. Play with friends who can also help you along these lines. I used to hate Evelynn... I bought her on whim one day, and tried playing with her. Read a bunch of guides and played several games. Did HORRIBLE with her because of how difficult she is to take advantage of properly.

Same with Vayne. I bought Vayne the first day she came out, and after playing as her I can honestly tell you all of the "OMG VAYNE IS OP" threads make me laugh, now. Like most champs, she excells in certain situations and completely fails in others.

Good players know how to instinctively avoid those "certain situations" where their champ fails and maximize the amount of situations where they excel. You're never going to be any good if you constantly face check bushes as, say, Anivia. But that same kind of behavior is slightly more acceptable with, say, Tryndamere or Xin Zhao.

You just have to be in the right mindset when playing a game. A lot of people go into the game with the mindset, "YEAH, I AM GOING TO DOMINATE MY LANE AND GET 100000 KILLS AND NEVER DIE!", and while it's great to have a positive attitude, I find that it often leads people to become disillusioned and get upset when the round doesn't go their way. Better attitude is probably, "I am going to play as well as I possibly can and make as few mistakes as possible. When I do make mistakes I am going to acknowledge them so I can correct them in the future."

I know it sounds cliche', but it's true. Sometimes you just aren't meant to go 30:1. Some matchups don't allow for that. Some lanes don't allow for that. You have to ask yourself what you overall contributed to the team. This is why tanks and supports are not expected to get kills, but assists instead. This is why assassins are not expected to be in the middle of team fights, but rather on the fringes taking out the enemy carry. If someone ever *****es about you "not being in the team fight", or letting them die, or whatever, your defense can simply be, "I took out Brand and got away.. what more do you want?"

I guess, in summary, you should adjust how you approach each character and each match and try to correct your negative patterns.

It sounds to me like you need more map awareness. Try buying at least 1 ward every time you go back to spawn. Place it in a bush. Encourage your team to buy wards.

Booterang

05-22-2011

#1 tip to getting better would be watching streams. After awhile you start to notice the things these players do that you do not, and change as a result. Easiest way to get better is to copy someone who is better then you. Check websites like Counterlogicgaming.net or Solo-mid.net for high rated players that stream, and try to learn from them.

Particularly good players that I learned alot from were Roku, Guardsmanbob and Wickd, because these players tend to comentate matches as they play them. (Or you can just Watch HotshotGG.)

2# tip: Work on strategic thinking and map awareness. Know when to push turrets, when to fight, and when to kill baron. Know when to back out of that gank that is waiting to happen. If you are in the top solo lane, and the enemy mid goes missing, you should probably consider playing close to your turret until he reappears. (Or point out that your team should check dragon).

hydrogencar

05-22-2011

Once you get more experience you'll learn how to react in certain situations, don't worry too much about it.
Positioning and making the right decisions are some of the hardest/most important things in this game, it takes a while to learn it.

Zékent

05-22-2011

Read this, it might help. No guarantees though. xD

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=734435

-Zekent

JohnCataldo

05-22-2011

Some of it you do just get better at over time. "Map Awareness" is a hard skill to really develop, *and* knowing what to do with it.

Some of it is just massive vigilance and paying attention.

If you want to practice, what you really need to do is force yourself to change how you play. If this means chanting "Where are they?" to yourself the whole game so you know where all enemy champions are at all times (and really thinking about it), so be it.

Or alter some other aspect of your play. Anything different gives you a new perspective. I'm not saying every experiment is going to be great, but try different champions, for sure.

Ward rant: Try buying a LOT of wards, and thinking about where to put them. (It still amazes me how often people don't understand how to use wards... or how few people buy or think they buy 1-2 and they have contributed their share for the game...) Many games end with me having bought 20-30 wards, or more in long games. Have some on you almost all the time, and remind yourself constantly that you have them -- don't just walk into that bush (even in your own jungle), if the enemy might be there, throw a ward down. The most valuable thing a ward can do is show you where an enemy is, but the second most valuable thing, very close behind, is showing you where the enemy isn't.

Try some "extreme" builds (or just champs) to see how it works. 3x Phantom Dancer someone to see what moving REALLY fast does for you (take speed 3 or speed 5 boots). Build lots of health or a tanky version of someone not tanky... or vice-versa.

Watch videos of high ELO play or streams or whatever. See what other people do, think about why they are doing it, etc.

Backsword

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2011

I'm not level 30, but I'm not all that new to these things either.

There are a lot of good gameplay tips here, stuff I'm going to follow myself,

My best advice is: Watch your ego. Etherimp and a few others touched on this. I play a lot of melees myself, in all games, and I was always tempted to go after someone who kicked my butt rather than doing the rational thing and going somewhere else where I could succeed more easily. Don't fight losing battles, and if you die, that doesn't mean you're a bad player.

Chiefly, though, there are a lot of tricksters in this game, so if someone looks like they're an easy kill, always assume they're not. Baiting is such a common strategy in this game.

I don't think it's a matter of you either have it or you don't. Good judgment can be developed and so can instinct.

rEv3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booterang View Post
#1 tip to getting better would be watching streams. After awhile you start to notice the things these players do that you do not, and change as a result. Easiest way to get better is to copy someone who is better then you. Check websites like Counterlogicgaming.net or Solo-mid.net for high rated players that stream, and try to learn from them.

Particularly good players that I learned alot from were Roku, Guardsmanbob and Wickd, because these players tend to comentate matches as they play them. (Or you can just Watch HotshotGG.)

2# tip: Work on strategic thinking and map awareness. Know when to push turrets, when to fight, and when to kill baron. Know when to back out of that gank that is waiting to happen. If you are in the top solo lane, and the enemy mid goes missing, you should probably consider playing close to your turret until he reappears. (Or point out that your team should check dragon).
#1 tip, don't watch streams. high level players are playing against high level players and are often too scared to do the things that you would need to do to get better at the game. they'll often refuse to leave their lane even if it would break up a gank and give your team the advantage. they'll refuse to turn back and help their team by taking that one death which would lead to an ace and instead ineffectively try to defend their tower in a 1v5. dont be afraid to die if it helps your team. easiest way to get better is to make a mistake and learn what you can and can't do.

JeryC

05-22-2011

TS sounds like he really wants to learn ^^

as u said "out of the bush" ....looks like u/yr team aren't using wards.

protect your ass/back with wards when u push/run to places without vision