Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Aces and eights, Stacking the deck with Twisted Fate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pipkin

03-17-2010

With the latest nerf of Twisted Fate, many of the guides are now obsolete since they rely on high AP and the gate ability to kill champions.

Skills:

Q: Wild Card - Twisted Fate throws three cards, dealing damage to each enemy unit they pass through.
Throws three cards which deal 60/110/160/210/260 (+0.5) magic damage to each enemy unit they pass through.
Cooldown
6 seconds
Cost
60/70/80/90/100 Mana

This skill is next to useless now that the Ap ratio is .4 and Mejes Soulstealer only gives you 8 AP per stack. Take it only if you are getting seriously harassed and need to farm gold at a very long range.

W: Pick A Card - Twisted Fate chooses a magic card from his deck, and uses that for his next attack, causing bonus effects.
Cast once to shuffle the deck and again to choose your card, enhancing your next attack.
Blue Card deals 30/45/60/75/90 (+0.4) bonus damage and restores the bonus damage in mana to Twisted Fate.
Red Card deals 30/45/60/75/90 (+0.4) bonus damage plus his attack damage to units around the target and slows their movement speed by 30/35/40/45/50%.
Gold Card deals half the base damage of Red and Blue Cards (+0.4) and stuns for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds.

This is your bread and butter skill, get good at pulling red and yellow cards, join a practice game if you have to, because if you can't master this skill you can't play TF.

E Stacked Deck - Every 4 attacks, Twisted Fate deals bonus damage. In addition, his attack speed is increased and his cooldowns are decreased.
Passive: Every 4 attacks, Twisted Fate deals an additional 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.3) damage.

In addition, his attack speed is increased by 6/12/18/24/30% and his cooldowns are decreased by 3/6/9/12/15%.

This skill is AMAZING! Attack speed and bonus damage that you can predict, the attack counter does not reset with time, nor does it reset if you die. That means you can save the bonus shot for your initial attack.

Destiny - Twisted Fate predicts the fortunes of his foes, revealing all enemy champions and enabling the use of Gate.
Reveals all enemy champions (including stealthed champions) for 6/6/6 seconds.

While Destiny is active, Twisted Fate can teleport anywhere on the map.

What a great Ult, global sight including invisible and a 1 second teleport. But remember due to the recent patch it no longer slows, so leading running champions is far more important now.

Skill Build:

1.Pick a Card
2. Stack the Deck
3. Stack the Deck
4. Pick a Card
5. Stack the Deck
6. Destiny
7. Stack the Deck
8. Pick a Card
9. Stack the Deck
10. Pick a Card
11. Destiny
12. Pick a Card
13. Wild Card
14. Wild Card
15. Wild Card
16. Destiny
17. Wild Card
18. Wild Card

Item Build

Note this is always situational. If I am facing 1 or more tank I get Maldred's Blood Razor Early. If I need health I will buy Phage early. If the team I am fighting is really squishy I will drop Life steal for Infinity edge. Etc.

**old build**
Vampiric Scepter
Boots of Speed--> Berserker's Greaves
Malady
Dagger + Recurve Bow --> Sword of the Divine
Long Sword + B. F. Sword --> The Black Cleave
Phage
Catalyst
Trinity Force
Maldred Bloograzor

**The build I currently play**
Dagger
Zerker Boots
Sword of the divine
Black Cleaver
Attack speed Item depending on team / Match up (usually Starks, Maldrad's, or Catalyst to build into Tri Force)

Summoner Spells:

Flash - you need this. It will net you kills at level 1-5 and will save you from dying every time you use destiny. Just make sure you port next to a group of trees / rocks so you can flash over them if things get ugly.

Exhaust / Ignite - One of these two will be your second skill, they both kind of speak for themselves. I prefer Ignite if I am soloing mid since it seems to get me first blood most of the time. Otherwise I take Exhaust to slow / blind my destiny target after the gold card wears off.

Runes, and Masteries:

For Runes Use Armor Pen for Red, Dodge for Yellow, and CD reduction per LvL (up to 5% at 18) then Magic pen for Blue.

Masteries are 21/9/0, Getting all of the damage skills, but make sure you avoid the 10% crit damage one, its a waste of 3 points and is a common mistake with new players (if you want to know why there was a really nice post about it recently), then taking defensive skills until I get dodge, and the speed increase after dodging.

I also have been playing around with utility for the increased buff time, and CD reduction so I can change all the blue to magic pen.

Tactics:

The Basics:

With this build Twisted Fate is a master of fast burst damage, attacking 3 times to Stack the deck then either pulling a red card to assist in a team battle / wipe out a huge mob of creeps, or picking a gold card and porting across the board to assassinate champions that have strayed to far from the group.

The synergy with Sword of the Divine and Stack the deck is Priceless in this build, every fourth attack will do 300+ bonus damage as well as applying any de-buffs granted by malady. the black cleaver, Tri / Phage (or Wits end if you are playing against a caster heavy team.)

Beginning (lvl 1-5) :

buy a Vampiric Scepter and head to the middle lane. If you can't get the solo try to find a melee character to lane with, you have a glass jaw so it's nice to have a meat shield.

At level two keep an eye on your Deck stacks, when ever the number hits three pull a red card and aim for the enemy champion, if hes running like mad toss it into a mob of creeps, with the Stacked deck and Red splash damage you can farm a lot of gold with relative ease.

If you do end up hitting the champ a couple times with the red card / stacked deck combo, pull a gold card next 3rd attack and flash in for the kill, this is where ignite really shines. Hopefully you will get first blood.

At level 6 get 3 stacks on your Deck and then port back to town to buy. I Like to buy 3 Daggers if I am farming well, if not I will pick up my boots of speed and a dagger if I can afford it. If you got first blood you might be able to buy Malady and something else.

Early-Mid Game ( lvl 6-16 ):

Once you are done buying its time to get a kill, Pull a gold card and hit Destiny. Scan the mini map for any heroes that may be jungleing, these are by far the easiest kills to get since the creeps will help you finish the job, and if you are lucky you will get a buff too! If no one is jungleing then look to see if any enemy champs are over extended, if so port behind them and get your kill. If the only options you have are questionable just port back to your lane. There is no shame in playing it safe, its better to not die than to get a kill.

At this point you should be farming well with the Stacked deck / Red Card Combo, I always target the casters first since they are easy gold. When Destiny is off CD build 3 stacks and head back to town to buy, Gold card --> Port --> repeat. When you have enough money to buy Sword of the Divine you are going to start ganking almost exclusively. Now your combo looks like this 3 Stacks, Gold Card, Port, Stun, Activate Sword, Basic attack, Gold Card Keep an eye out for Jax he is constantly in the woods getting buffs and he is a really easy kill once you have sword of the divine.

As the game progresses you will have to take Wild Card, and you might be tempted to throw it into the champion killing combo. Don't. By the time you start to level it your attack speed will be at the cap, meaning that the time it takes to throw the cards will not make up for the damage lost from your base attack, this is true even if you hit all 5 enemy champions with it. The only thing that you should use wild card on is mobs of creeps, and then only if you have a 3 Stack Red card on deck.

Late Game:

At this point you have max attack speed, Damage around 300 a hit, and 600 every forth hit (not counting crits), no one can dodge your attacks (this is good since without Sword of the Divine champions can dodge your stuns).

Now come the part that I am going to get flack about....

After you get your 6th item its time to end the game. Have your team push the top or bottom tower while you hang out at base. When the enemy team comes to defend pop Destiny and port right on the opposite tower. You can kill a tower in under 5 Seconds, after the tower is dead go kill golem for the CD reduction and then port to town. Twenty to thirty second later your Destiny will be up, you will be at full health, and you will do the same thing. At that point the game should end rather quickly.

Tips and Tricks

Some of this has been stated above, but I know most of you readers are lazy and just skim through for the Items and what ever pops out.

1. Red card is your best friend!! If you have pick a card up and you are not sure what to grab take Red Card.

2. You are now the best harasser in the game! Red Cards AOE is effected by your stacked deck. So when ever possible get three stacks before pulling a card.

3. The mana Gain from Blue card is less than the cost of the spell, so Casting blue card is like casting a 10 mana damage spell, use it only on Towers.

5. Never Ever use wild card on champions when they are in normal attack range.

6. You can use Destiny to escaped a gank, damage does not stop the port.

7. Your damage is half Magic and Half Physical, So this means when fighting Morgana, or jax (pre-sword) you will do only half damage.

8. Dodge runes and Masteries are almost necessary since you will be porting into some hairy situations during team fights, Also do not be afraid to get a banshees and merc. Treads when facing a team with a lot of stuns.

9. When ever you are going back to buy or heal make sure you charge three stacks. You never know if you are going to need them on the Port / Walk back.

10. Always have your Pick a card cycling when ever it is up. This will help you learn timing as well as acting an anti gank ward.

11. Always get the golem buff, with the CD reduction from Stacked deck, and 5% CD runes you will have max CD reduction. This puts Destiny at 72 second cool down.

12, When chasing a player that is just out of reach pull a red card and hit a creep on the edge of your range. The splash on red card is as big as Zils time bombs, if that doesn't slow him give up, or you will likely die.

now for the most important thing!

LEARN TO CYCLE CARDS WHILE AUTO ATTACKING SO THAT YOU CAN HIT "W" THE MOMENT YOUR THIRD STACK APPEARS!!

If you can master that you can be a first class TF.

Enjoy! Please post any comments or criticism you may have.

myroprax

03-17-2010

not a bad guide. been waiting for one since the remake.

Pipkin

03-17-2010

Thanks Man!

I just added a Tips and Tricks section.

Keep the comments coming, I would like to have this guide on the top page when ever possible.

Lyrre

03-18-2010

Originally i rushed infinity edge after boots, but i tried going malady and then sword of divine as your guide suggets and uhh......wow, red card does less damage than my built, but yours has INSANE sustained DPS, i found myself using gold card more late game and nuking ppl down to nothing before the stun was up! might try a slightly different build though...what do you think about going zerkers boots ->divine sword ->cleaver->malady? just for earlier red card dmg

Lyrre

03-18-2010

and have you thought about getting an earlier phage? with this attack speed the slow is probably always up, some nice hp for a squishy carry, and even a little dmg for red cards?

PdXMorpho

03-18-2010

Almost identical to the build i have been running yet i take a rage blade just because at 8 stacks by lvl like 8 - 12 you can have over 2.1 aspd with stacked an red it really hurts also the rune book im making with Armor Pen in Red rather than Crit and Hp at 18 for the Yellow and blue just for extra survivability but still testing stuff. Had some nice games with that build but also had some bad

quad2408

03-18-2010

Great guide, I played 8 games with TF and won 7, stacking E > Gold Card > R > pwn someone's face is ridiculous.

One thing is TF is squishy as hell, vamp scepter early game just doesn't cut it vs good harrassers, I've been using Doran's Shield but I don't know if how good it is.

Another thing is that I've been using teleport/flash since now Gate is your ultimate it is on a longer timer and there is so much utility with both since you can Gate to top/bot, kill a hero, and teleport back to mid without losing your tower, and late game you can use it get almost anywhere (Gate into a teamfight, kill everybody, then teleport and go kill a turret/inhibitor).

I can never remember to use Sword of the Divine in battle though, since I'm always franticly trying to get Gold Cards off.

Pipkin

03-18-2010

@ Lyrre, thats exactly what I do if I am not farming solo for a long time. It's really dependent on how fast the enemy is pushing. I will add that to my guide as the alternative gank build. As for the Phage I find the only time I need the slow is if I am jumping a tank or a really fast player like yi. Most of the time Port gold card, basic attack 3 times, then a red card will ensure a kill, and if that doesn't work I can flash and exhaust.

@ PDX I find the rage blade to be to redundant. Sure its good for level 8-15 but after that your attack speed will be capped, and the AP will be peanuts. For the same amount of gold I would prefer a B.F Sword with the option to build Cleaver, Edge or Bloodthirster.

I agree that armor pen is the better choice for red runes, I just don't have a full book of T3 ones, while I do have all T3 Crit runes. I will note that in my guide though.

On a side note I just edited in a nice story of me owning with a screen shot, enjoy!

pikathunder

03-18-2010

first of all, i would like to give you props for creating this guide as it gives us a basis for guidance on how we should look at TF now.

BUT, the only real problem i see using this build in particular is the lack of survivability especially early/mid game- even life steal will not save you because as we've all mentioned, TF greatest weakness now is his squishyness, and combined with the lack of HP, he'll be an easy target.

as lyrre has mentioned, i've seen players build sheen, boots +1, and phage (part of tri-force) and going for rageblade before finishing his triforce for a total of 4 item build that incorporates some HP, and a increase in move speed for chasing or escaping along with some added mana and dmg that might be useful early game.

just my two cents. good job though.

Pipkin

03-18-2010

@ quad, I am glad to see you winning with TF, just don't do it to much or they will really nerf us this time

As for your comments, I think you are probably just a little new at TF, the scepter is key since it reduces gold waste as you use it for Malady. What heroes were harassing you? I find that I am always the one doing the harassing early game. The key is tossing red cards like they are going out of style, even if you can't directly hit the enemy champ with it the splash range is huge so target the creeps in front of them.

As for teleport it really is a wasted spell on TF, if you follow tip #11 your destiny spell will have around a 40-60 second CD plenty fast to be at any team fight. Try exhaust, it is solid gold when you are Porting in on a Physical DPS character.

And finally I find dragging sword of the Divine to the number 1 or 2 slot is the best way to always use it. That way its above wild card, and since you are never going to use the sword and wild card at the same time you can rest your finger on the button the whole game.