[Guide]Karthus - The Deathsinger

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Empyron

05-03-2010

Good guide.

I play Karthus all the time and do really well with him. Item build 2 works pretty well.
Masteries 9/0/21 as someone said. Spells: flash/teleport

Get sapphire crystal and health pots to start. (doran's is also okay if you fear for your life)

Farm til you have 1400ish gold. (preferably mid).

Get boots 1, tome, and sapphire crystal, yes that makes 2.

Next time back, get tear and mejai.

Next time back, build to Rod of Ages or Banshee's Veil (depending what you need)
Upgrade boots as needed to merc treads or sorc boots.

Farm up to archangels.

Get Zhonya's.

Lastly, if you bought doran's sell it for Guardian Angel.

Sick sick build. Waste people with it all the time.

Final build.

1) Mejai's
2) Archangel's Staff
3) Boots
4) Banshee's/RoA depending
5) Zhonya's
6) Guardian Angel or if you like Rylai's.

Personally, I like GA because I play more of a flash into the middle of the mix with defile on throw up wall and drain people as they try and beat on me til I die, then come back alive again type playstyle.

Rockopotamus

05-03-2010

Not a bad guide. I agree with a good bit of it, but I disagree on the build. I think chalice/tear/archangel are overkill in most games. They all divert gold from karth's immediate AP and HP needs.

Personally I would go:

dorans ring (optional) -> catalyst -> sorc boots -> ROA -> soulstealer (and or) zhonyas -> void staff -> situational

I play quite a bit of karthus and I find that while mana regen items allow you to spam, they really slow your ability to get AP and HP quickly, which are far more important. I usually waste a summoner slot on clarity, but I think it's justified since I never spend any gold on mana regen.

Just my 2 cents

Keivan

05-03-2010

I've had good success with Karthus, played with a lot of builds, while it all depends on how you play for me what worked best was:
Rod of Ages
Sorc Boots
Mejai's
Rylai's
Zhonya's
Void Staff

Usually the game ends while building Zhonya's. As long as I'm playing well I have enough AP from the soulstealer to make me somewhat dangerous until I can build Rylai's. That item gives you a lot of survivability. Karthus isn't a right click to kill nuker. His ult is deadly, but he only fires it when needed and the CD is lengthy enough that u can't spam it. For me to worked best to get kills and assists from my wall and AOE while nailing them with Req as needed. Once I get Rylai's I get a lot of health, more AP, and a chill which works wonders in the AOE, both for escaping and helping the team in big fights. After that Zhonya's and Void Staff purely meant to increase your damage as the other team begins building resists. Works best for me. But I've seen some great Karthus players with Archangels first in their build. I pick Clarity and have mana regen runes/masteries so mana isn't a big problem.

Although if I were to try an alternate build I'd grab the Tear before the boots, begin building that mana pool, then complete Archangles after the soulstealer. I'd buy it instead of Zhonya's, leave everything else, not as much AP, but it's cheaper and most of the time you won't finish Zhonya's anyway. If that's the case the regen ruins can be replaced with CD or magic pen, and I'd switch out Clarity for Flash or, whatever u personally prefer.

In fact, I just might try this build tonight

Blaggo

05-07-2010

If you think I have too much mana regen.. The reason I get chalice early in build 1 is because its a pretty cheap item that gives more regen when you have lower mana, which is when you need it most. And the MResist is nice. But I usually only go with build 1 when laning against another heavy AP champion, or the other team has a lot of AP.

I also don't like to have clarity as a summoner spell because of the deadliness of flash and ignite. I usually will use flash offensively, flashing in range for defile, WoP, ignite, easy kill. I have gotten many first bloods and kills throughout the game with the flash + ignite combo. Also if they escape, ignite will often finish them off, allowing you to save your ult a little longer.

And I strongly disagree with boots as a first item, sure he is squishy and needs to stay away from other champions, but the range of Lay Waste is longer than any other ranged champion's basic attack. So you shouldn't find yourself in close combat early game anyway.

MagicChicken

05-07-2010

two suggestions:

1) mp5 Runes for yellow (+utility mast) means no early game mana issues (can remove chalice)
2) you suggest defile early to "help get last hits". Waste of mana, imo ... use lay.

Blaggo

05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicChicken View Post
two suggestions:

1) mp5 Runes for yellow (+utility mast) means no early game mana issues (can remove chalice)
2) you suggest defile early to "help get last hits". Waste of mana, imo ... use lay.

1) I'd rather have the health from yellow runes, and get the chalice if going against a heavy AP team. But if the other team isn't heavy AP, I use build #2, which doesn't have the chalice.

2) You should use lay waste, because defile is a waste of mana if you use it to last hit all the time. I guess what I meant was if there is a lot of minions spread out too much for 1 LW to take care of, a quick second of defile for all the last hits takes less mana than using several wastes.

MagicChicken

05-07-2010

Replace the 500 you spent on Chalice, for the 450 you spend on a ruby, and you'll end up with more HP at early levels, and an item you'll actually use later. Don't get me wrong, a chalice can be nice, but what I've found as I've climbed my way against harder and harder opponents is that even the loss of a little gold for something that doesn't reap immediate benefits means that its wasted gold. Getting the RoA faster is of much more benefit. (also, check a live-stream by pendragon or someone like that, who does the same thing ... it's clear the chalice isn't needed if you can manage your mana properly)

TurtleKing

05-07-2010

i will say i played a game where a karthus absoulutley PUB STOMPED ending the game with 30 kills and 800 AP. he said he had Almost all AP runebook. It was teh only time I've every seen a caster take out 3 peopel at once throughout the entire game.

karthus pwns.

Blaggo

06-08-2010

Updated quite a bit..

Captain Shin

06-08-2010

What are your thoughts on Combining a bit a durability [Banshee/Sunfire/Guardian] with Spell Vamp as a late game strategy to maximise defile [note, you don't have to carry the Spell Vamp yourself; someone can get Will of the ancients and shadow your every steps].