Aura Mundo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Modpearl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2010

I've been told constantly that Dr. Mundo is a terrible character for SR, and only useful for your team during the laning phase. While I would argue that the ability to singlehandedly backdoor a tower and get away from a five man gank are good qualities, I do agree that he doesn't exactly excess in team fights. With Sadism and his already absurd health regen he can stay in a fight almost indefinitely, is almost never focused (why the heck would you focus the tank), and provides constant AOE damage with burning agony. He doesn't however, have any CC which means that everyone else really doesn't care that he's there.

I'm curious therefore how viable an aura mudno with be. Theoretically auras would make him a little more useful in teamfights and just generally more useful for your team. Has anyone experimented with this and/or have any comments (please try to keep the comments constructive)?

Possible Aura/similar items:

Definites:
+Starks Fervor: Attack speed, lifesteal, armor pen all great (plus work well with a spirit visage on mundo)
+Aegis of Legion: You're already beefy, why not spread it around a little. Not too expensive either

Maybes/need to be tested:
+Frozen Heart: Costly and the mana is wasted. CDR is nice though (45 second sadism ) and you do slow their carries down a little
+Innervating Locket: Not that powerful an ability, and the mana is a little wasted on Mundo, but I don't know for sure how good it would be.
+Abyssal Scepter: Less MR for them, marginally better burning agony for you...probably better for mage heavy teams.
+Will of Ancients: Actually would probably be ok with your cleaver and burning agony, but that's still untested. Plus unless you team is really mage heavy this won't exactly be very helpful for everyone else.
+Soul Shroud: Mana and cooldowns...decent for your teammates, probably a little wasted on you. I'm skeptical, but I haven't tried it yet so I'll reserve judgement (goes for mana manipulator as well).

Any thoughts/items I missed?
Thanks for your input

godhunter1053

11-17-2010

This idea, while I think its interesting, is probably not going to be great, and you've pointed out the main problems. Only two auras come without mana or ap, neither of which benefit mundo...like at all. Most mundos should be getting starks anyway, so I can see it would be a small leap to Aegis, because as you said it is rather cheap. Beyond that though, the other "good" aura for him would be frozen heart (CDR armor and the aura are all fine), but its a super situational item, contains mana, and is expensive. I think you'd be better off grabbing randuins, as the active is similar to the aura of heart, and its a bit cheaper (if I remember right).

I think the idea of running a mundo with Aegis, Starks, Dorans shield, and Spirit visage could be pretty powerful for pretty cheap in the right hands. The Aegis will probably stick around as mundo is hard to kill, and the bit of resistances are lovely. Starks is a sexy item on him, and he doesn't need AD pretty much at all. If you then add the visage for health CDR and that lovely passive you probably have a solid build. Throw in Randuins and you're much harder to kill, can chase better, and have maxed (or nearly maxed) CDR.

....I think I'm gonna try this in the next few days and see how well it works.

Modpearl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2010

Very good points. Be sure to let me know how it works.

Boomerax

11-17-2010

i tried the frozen hearth with my team and i have to say it : its a good item
but there is something i want to tell u, in 5v5 when u play with a non-premade team u should know that there is a 70% chance ( depends on what enemis u have) that your buddies run like cowards and leave u in the middle cos' they wil say " dude , that mundo is sick , if i go i get killed to"
so that makes the frozen hearth a waste of money, if ur team is comprensive ul do a great job and u wil very happy.

ZOMGTURTLE

11-17-2010

I tend to do well in team fights. But I also get focused ALL THE TIME. As an almost exclusively solo queue player, often people think that, as Mundo, I'm the tank. Many people fail to realize that he's not a very good tank. If I build health and mitigation, they have ZERO reason to attack me, as I don't do enough damage to be relevant. If I build damage, I'm too squishy to tank.

I tend to build right in between. Rush Warmog's, get boots (usually Merc or Tabi depending on team), then SV. Makes me hard to kill early with good damage, but by mid-game the damage has really tapered off, yet I still often get focused first in team fights (I tend to harass with Cleavers and be one of the first into engagements). Often I'll eat a good bit of damage and CC, run out of the fight while Sadism ticks me up, then come back in. As I said, rarely do I do much damage at this point mid-game.

However, I then usually build PD/Vamp Scepter/Atma's Impaler (in whatever order will benefit me most) and start hitting squishies like a truck. But by late game, everyone else's damage has gone up a lot, and I can't survive heavy focus. But if I'm not getting focused, I will tear through any squishy like its nothing (I can usually keep a carry or two just trying to stay away from me and doing little else for most or all of a team fight).

So I don't know how useful Aura Mundo would be. Lower damage, decent survivability but no reason to kill you.

godhunter1053

11-18-2010

So I played one game with the aegis build I listed above, and I have to say it was...inconclusive (as one game should be)...Here is what happened:

I got a solo lane and so was able to farm my emblem and boots quickly (I went boots 3 as I wasn't too worried about them), then got aegis, grabbed bow, SV, finished starks, then started toward randuins, but didn't it get it till the game was over, so I don't know how much of an effect it would have had.

I think the Aegis was actually rather helpful rushed, I literally ran around in an odd skirmish teamfight thing with a couple allies for 3 respawns on their team without much issue (got my ult twice...when it was on a 60 sec cooldown). They didn't have huge damage though, and I'm never really good at telling how well aegis does, plus it really slowed down what damage I could do. The way that it slowed starks was...annoying, and I think it would be better on other champs (alistar, nasus, taric), but it definately isn't a bad call if you're running with two beefy guys instead of a real "tank". I would definately build starks faster though, and maybe even forget about the SV completely if you go aegis...which leaves a bad taste in my mouth as I'm so used to it now.

As for the game I only got 1 kill in laning, and had no gank support against their shen, so I was basically just trying to hold and farm. Then when we did start to teamfight I had aegis and was basically scaring everyone, but had no ability to finish...like at all. They'd swarm me or just straight run from me, and sona is a ***** making everything harder kill. After about 6 minutes of this, they rushed ex's calling and exhausted me almost every team fight afterwards, and my team didn't have the damage necessary to clean up while they focused me, so rather frustrating and why I can't draw any large conclusions about the build.

Though I will say this: My suspicion is that if you are getting really fed or it looks like a short game, getting all three is the way to go, probably going SV last and building starks and aegis at the same time. For the most part though, you should probably pick 2 of them and just forget one. Consider how much magic they have, how tanky your team is, who else could pick up aegis or starks, then build based on that knowledge. If you don't do starks, maybe grab a ghostblade? or sunfire for a more tanky route. Aegis is perfectly viable on him, but realize that he is very easily ignored until he gets some AS or its more of a ganking type game, less of a group up and push thing.

4kk1

11-18-2010

I think going Aegis and Starks is very viable for a Mundo, especially against teams that are phys/magic balanced. In my last TT game I did just that and it worked pretty well. So the build order was roughly: Boots+2, Emblem, SV, Starks Fervor, Aegis.
I wouldn't go so far and make Mundo the aura *****, as he fits the beefy DPS role very well and should be built that way. Depending on how the game goes I'd add a Ghostblade, Sunfire Cape, maybe Randuins/Banshee Veil or even a Warmogs.

Shavebeard

11-18-2010

mundo is dps, i always get trinity force on him, because you can trigger it constantly by throwing cleavers.
I once got 3 towers and the top inhibiter alone with just boots, spirit visage and a trinity force

Boomerax

11-18-2010

Mundo WAS dps, now is more tanky. and what is better than a tank with health regen per second?

NecBromancer

11-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerax View Post
Mundo WAS dps, now is more tanky. and what is better than a tank with health regen per second?
What is better? I dunno, an actual tank that can stack mitigation and still make people attack them (through taunts or CCs)?

Mundo's beefy, but really not a tank. His survivability is based on getting some health and using his ult (which is really hurt by Ignite). Stacking some health on him is a great idea for his ult and passive, but that just leaves you fairly squishy with a large health pool. If you build mitigation from there, the other team has ZERO reason to attack you, and the best you can do for CC is try to keep someone slowed with Cleaver. If you build damage, you don't have the mitigation to survive heavy burst from another team, and they have reason to focus you because you do damage and can actually die.

Mundo is not tank. Mundo can play tank-ish if the other team is dumb and wants to focus Mundo first. Mundo truly shines as beefy DPS.