Physical vs Magical attacks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zedon

03-17-2010

Is there a guide somewhere that specifies what characters and attacks deal physical damage vs which do magic based damage?

I haven't found anything that specifies what counts as what (yet is important when considering itemization). Like would Morgana's autoattack be considered physical or magical dmg? Why are many of Nidalee's abilities considered magic attacks (she claws you FFS, and spears seems more physical than magical to me). Is Cho'gath's rupture physical or magical? Is Corki all physical?

And what does dodge affect? ALL autoattacks and NO abilities?

Brogi

03-17-2010

all autoattacks are phys dmg. All abilities are magic, unless they say otherwise in the tooltip (like parley, corki is all magic). Dodge works on autoattacks, but not abilities, except parley and I think pick a card.

wildfire393

03-17-2010

All autoattacks (of champions, turrets, minions, pets, etc) are Physical.
In addition, any ability that modifies your attack to do more damage (Poppy's Devastating Blow, Siphoning Strike, Sheen/Trinity/Lichbane, etc) is Physical unless it specifically says otherwise (like TF's Gold Card/Stacked Deck, Jax's Empower/Ult)
Any ability that says it deals some % of your Physical damage or your Physical damage + some number (Ashe's Volley, Pirate's Parrrley, Pantheon's Spear and Heartstabber) is Physical unless it says otherwise (like Katarina's Bouncing Blades and Death Lotus, which specify that it deals the damage as Magic damage)
Everything else is magical, and it should also say magic damage somewhere in the tooltip/description.

Also only Autoattacks and Parrrley can be dodged (also possibly Ezreal's Q, I'm not sure because it was on the TR and they said they might change it). However, this means that any ability that modifies an attack like Stacked Deck can also be dodged if the corresponding attack is dodged.

Brogi

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
Any ability that says it deals some % of your Physical damage or your Physical damage + some number (Ashe's Volley, Pirate's Parrrley, Pantheon's Spear and Heartstabber) is Physical unless it says otherwise (like Katarina's Bouncing Blades and Death Lotus, which specify that it deals the damage as Magic damage).
This one is incorrect. Even physical reliant abilities deal magic dmg, unless they actually say they deal phys. They just usually aren't helped by AP.

MrHoohah

03-17-2010

The only ability Dodge affects currently is Parrrley. Pick-A-Card just modifies TF's basic attack, so you can still dodge it.

JunkRamen

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogi View Post
This one is incorrect. Even physical reliant abilities deal magic dmg, unless they actually say they deal phys. They just usually aren't helped by AP.
Volley and Parlay are physical. Not sure about Sivir's bounce.

Zohariel

03-17-2010

I remember you used to be able to block Sivir's Ricochet hits with Black Shield. I don't know about recently though - you used to be able to completely block Ashe's Volley too, but now you only block the slow component and still take the damage.