Guide: Ezreal The Prodigal Explorer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-17-2010

Let me start out by saying it is a bit early for guides on a new champion unless you're coming from the test realm and have had a chance to play him for a while.

That said, this is a well thought out guide, of decent length and well written including both a build and an actually strategy and tactics section. In cases like these as long as the author is open to feedback and able to edit and modify the guide as needed, I don't see anything wrong with posting a test or post-test build early on to build discussion on a new hero.

Just putting that out there in general, also I hear good things about Ezreal and Guinsoo's Rageblade might want to check that out

jenarelJAM

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aregionius View Post
Let me start out by saying it is a bit early for guides on a new champion unless you're coming from the test realm and have had a chance to play him for a while.

That said, this is a well thought out guide, of decent length and well written including both a build and an actually strategy and tactics section. In cases like these as long as the author is open to feedback and able to edit and modify the guide as needed, I don't see anything wrong with posting a test or post-test build early on to build discussion on a new hero.

Just putting that out there in general, also I hear good things about Ezreal and Guinsoo's Rageblade might want to check that out
I actually started going a hybrid attack damage/ability power, using a guinsoo's rageblade as the 3rd item, Infinity Edge for 4th item, and really boosting my attack speed, but what I found was that, by mid-late game, farming can be taken care of much faster by other champions like sivir and tristana, so attack speed doesn't help as much. Ezreal is way too squishy to sit and throw fire at another champion back and forth until one dies, and I didn't have the raw power increasing my abilities's damage to get in and get out quickly with a kill.

Using guinsoo's rageblade requires a different style of play, (which I tried), where you focus on hitting things a few times to get your attack speed and AP up, then let loose the barrage of skills. But if you're caught all alone, not near minions, or you're trying for a surprise gank attempt, you don't have time to charge up guinsoo's rageblade.

By completely forgoing attack damage and attack speed, and relying on Mystic Shot primarily to last-hit creeps mid-late game (especially after getting lichbane), you become less versatile, but ultimately, in my opinion, more threatening to the enemy.

On another note: Is there a way for me to 'subscribe' to this thread, or something similar, so I can get emails when people post in it? That way I could keep it up up-to-date.

taconight

03-17-2010

i'll take back what i said earlier, despite anything you wrote a well written detailed guide.

my only question as of having played 10 ish games with him would be why not take w first as ap?

e seems like a waste as its random. w at least is consistant from range giving you better choice of damage.

R is painful with a 20 stack mejai and some other ap items i agree. just curious though as e seems more of an escape mechanism if your ap, using e to get in seems like a waste on a focus target fight.

oh and a suggetsion from what i've noticed is that if you build sheen, maxing w+q as ability gives u better damage output than e+w . don't know if you tried it or not.

Teiresius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-17-2010

Thanks for the guide Pretty good work, quite epic. Just did two games with it (my third and fourth real games with ezrael) and came out with 12-3-10, and 12-1-11. Thanks again

Also, shifting through the enemy base walls to pull off a quick snipe with this is pretty hilarious and you get awesome wtf reactions.

Also I think replacing Zhonya's with guinsoo's is viable because it's cheaper and meshes quite well even if you lose the invuln and some damage

Mrtakeiteasy

03-17-2010

This is my input, Ezreal is a Support DPS from everything i've seen. He is squishy as hell, and will get targeted if even remotely close to the heroes. This being, the most i'd ever get in terms for physical output would be the addition of a lichbane.

My idea would be that Guinsoo's Rageblade seems to work well with Ezreal, but him doing damage output by outright auto attacking just doesn't seem very useful as he can easily be charged in, dps'd and killed. Therefore, i believe that he should mostly stick with heavy AP items.

Use his first skill and proc it with lichbane to do damage, his second skill to heal mostly, third skill to do sudden ganks or running away (Not for actual charging in on team battles, you'll just get raped from CC so fast your useless), and your ult will deal a lot more damage like a super powered ashe ult without the stun.

I would say items such as Lichbane, AA staff, Zhonya's, deathfire grasp, either void staff or abyssal sceptor, and sorcerers boots.

this is considering that the opponents realize your squishy and if you go in and try to kill, you will die. if you go ezreal pseudo-tank build, well...your not really going to do much damage, and your heal/AS increase isn't as strong either.

CptSpadge

03-17-2010

First, to the OP, you can subscribe when you reply to the thread, there is a dropdown menu in the additional options thing below the text area that will let you do that.

As far as the build, though, it's fairly similar to builds that I have tried but whenever I go straight for a sheen, I'm always way low on mana. I usually get around this by going haunting visage first because the mana regen, while not amazing, is at least good enough to keep casting q for farming purposes until I can afford sheen and boots. The health regen lets you stay in lane for that long even if you're getting harassed. I'm also considering Chalice and Philosopher's stone for this purpose, but I like the cdr and magic pen that Visage gives you.

Also, guinsoo's rageblade gains stacks off of both autoattacks and spells, and with Ezrael's passive, it takes almost no time at all to get 8 stacks. At that point, even though your attack doesn't do a hell of a lot of damage, your attack speed is so high that you can significantly damage someone pretty quickly, especially because you're hammering them with q, w, and e as well. I like having it because it makes it a lot easier to kill people stacking magic defense because you have two sources of damage that circumvent it.

jenarelJAM

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by taconight View Post
i'll take back what i said earlier, despite anything you wrote a well written detailed guide.

my only question as of having played 10 ish games with him would be why not take w first as ap?

e seems like a waste as its random. w at least is consistant from range giving you better choice of damage.

R is painful with a 20 stack mejai and some other ap items i agree. just curious though as e seems more of an escape mechanism if your ap, using e to get in seems like a waste on a focus target fight.

oh and a suggetsion from what i've noticed is that if you build sheen, maxing w+q as ability gives u better damage output than e+w . don't know if you tried it or not.
You bring up a good point. I haven't compared W vs E yet. I get E second because it's a great escape mechanism, but after that, I max it primarily because W has such a short range. It seemed easier, when you're still in your original lane, to use E to pick off a running target. I'll experiment with maxing W first, and post back.

jenarelJAM

03-17-2010

Replying to auto-subscribe

Orphan Feast

03-17-2010

Think as Ezreal having Clarity is pretty much a MUST HAVE. Seeing as he burns the mana so fast.

Nave222

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by taconight View Post

W first is nice but only for hitting champs so cant really farm with it
its something i should try

E isnt that randomn if you can aim it correctly and even if its random its a great escape move

i go Q E W for first 3 levels and it does not disappoint

*going to try QW or WQ next match*