AP Ezreal - The Ganking Explorer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerethon

03-17-2010

Title, My first guide

This seems to be an under-ran and underestimated build for Ezreal, it's fairly simple, Pretty simple to play, and is EXTREMELY dangerous in team fights, a single cast of Trueshot into Essence flux can turn the tide of a fight in your favor in less than 2 seconds

Without Further Ado: Ezreal, The Ganking explorer

Items at start: I use Meki pendant + 2 HP Potions

Skill Build: Q, E, Q, E, W, R, Q, W, Any - Base it off what your facing and paired with, if you are with a squishy partner, mass-rank W, against other range, Rank E for ganking, Melee/Tanks rank Q for harassment

Item Build: Meki -> chalice, Boots of speed -> Mercury treads/Sorc shoes - see edit, Amp tome -> Sheen -> Triforce, Amp tome -> Fiendish codex, Stinger -> Nashors, Any - also based off team and lane, Infinity edge, Zhonya's, Etc. all work well

Edit: Boots-wise, is lane based, Mercs against heavy CC, Sorc shoes against the rest, Take boots after the chalice

Summoner Skills and powers: 9/0/21, Offense boosted Exhaust and Util boosted Ghost, Exhaust + Resist debuff and a nice long "Noclip" to run through enemy minions to get those last hits for ganks, Combined with Arc Shift, Ghost makes you nearly unkillable, as flashing through a wall and running at Ludicrous speeds gets you out of a lot of sticky situations (Ryze cage setup comes to mind)

Rundowns:

Passive - Rising Spell Force

Your passive increases your attack speed by 15% every time an ability hits, up to 5 stacks, dont be afraid to q-spam to stack this up while pushing towers, it'll make your life easier, your ulti is also a pretty guaranteed 5-stack of this

Q - Mystic Shot

MShot is your Bread & Butter Harassment and farming power, Successful hits reduce all cooldowns by 1sec, Even your ulti, master predicting with this, and hitting running enemies/Nearly dead creeps while on the move, and a good 60% of the build becomes easier to play

W - Essence Flux

Flux is your 3rd power, it makes your lane partner love you, you can heal them with it and harass enemies trying to jump them, at the same time, if you line yourself up right, as AP Ezreal it will be healing and hitting for a VERY dangerous amount (300+) so make use of this to make laning a breeze

E - Arcane Shift

This is basically Flash, on a short cooldown, with the added bonus of an arrow that homes in on the nearest enemy (Ala Hate spike) and does some hefty damage, Scaled off AP, this is your main Gank power, as it lets you hop walls/Jump people at towers/Etc. And thanks to the low cooldown, it's also a heck of a "RUN!!" move

R - Trueshot Barrage

This is your ultimate, it scales off AP, it has nearly infinite range, it does a TON of damage, it hits everything in a massive line, getting good with this and prediction means lots of kills and assists on enemies you cant see - You hit them through the shroud and finish them, it's also amazing for clearing a lot of creeps when people push towers, since it's cooldown is amazingly short with this build, and Q Spam reduces it even more. This combination makes it one of the BEST ultimate's in the game when used properly

Laning And choices:

Alright, this is NOT a mid char, i don't care what Randomperson #993 told you, Ezreal's lack of snaring, Complete reliance on skillshots, and fairly short range, means he gets absolutely EATEN by the normal mid crews who can harass him without fear (Twitch, Ashe, Etc.)

Try to lane with a Heavy melee or Carry, Jax/Nunu/Yi/Mordekaiser/Etc. why? you can heal them, a lot, they do a lot of damage, they are extremely hard to stop, They all get stupid attack rates when you start buffing them, get the idea?

Take top or bot, hang behind them, Nick a Killing blow here&there with Q and E, Harass with Q and W when you get it, Save your exhaust and Ultimate for when people get greedy and/or think they can take your buddy down 1v1 because they don't see you hiding in the bushes/Behind your lane-mate, etc.

As for tower pushing, autoattack it, Boost your attack speed off creeps, and use your ulti to keep the way clear of them if you dont see any enemy champs or you killed them first, since your ulti will 5-stack it pretty much instantly

Team fights:

When it comes to team fights, a well-placed ulti, smart use of Flux and Shift, and a general willingness to run if stuff starts going south fast will give you extrememly good K/D ratios, and keep them from feeding off you easily - You are, after all, one of the squishiest and easiest to gank ranged champs, thanks to your lack of snare, Keep this in mind

Final thoughts:

All in all, Ezreal is my favorite ranged champ, hands down, he's a bit hard to master, but if you're quick on the keyboard (Clicking is way too slow to be effective on it's own) and quick to react, you can easily carry even fairly bad teams to a win with your amazing damage and ganking ability, Just play smart and cautious and you'll go places

-Zere

Edit Dos - Runes:

It was suggested by a friend i should post my rune setup, It's fairly simple, i stack Attack speed/AP/AD/Magic Pen runes en masse since i use the same page for TFate/Ryze/Etc. I find this really rounds out the build, since you're sitting on 1 APS or so from the start of the game, and the Small Spell Pen boost Makes you even more effective early

Chaoticon

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerethon View Post
It was suggested by a friend i should post my rune setup, It's fairly simple, i stack Attack speed/Crit chance/Magic Pen runes en masse since i use the same page for TFate/Ryze/Etc. I find this really rounds out the build, since you're sitting on 1 APS or so from the start of the game, MShot gets a crit boost to make up for the lack of AD and the Small Spell Pen boost Makes you even more effective early
Mystic shot can't crit...so no it doesn't make up for lack of ad. You don't need attack speed as you are stacking passives and nashors...wasted. The only rune you have worthwhile is magic pen. You should change the others to mana regen/ap

Zerethon

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoticon View Post
Mystic shot can't crit...so no it doesn't make up for lack of ad. You don't need attack speed as you are stacking passives and nashors...wasted. The only rune you have worthwhile is magic pen. You should change the others to mana regen/ap
Didnt notice really, Possibly AAttack crits i was seeing then from lag?

And i like my attack speed/AA crits, it gets kills and makes dropping towers almost too easy, and since i only have a bit of attack speed from items, ~1.7APS beats ~1.1APS when it comes to Towers and finishing off runners/Flashers who try to mask with mobs

And mana regen? Between Nashors, chalice, and the mana boost from Sheen/Trinity i never have mana problems, even when Q/E spamming to kill Creeps/Neutrals, Wasting slots on it isnt worth my IP

i may set my (Currently, blank) second page to be AP/MPen/AD for Hybrids, But, i'm waiting to see how the field plays out over the next week or so to see what will work best if i start mainly running Ezreal instead of my usual singed or yi

liketheplague

03-17-2010

I have yet to see this in any Ezreal guides, but would Rylai's Crystal Scepter be any good on him? It would solve some HP issues, give a pretty large chunk of AP and every one of your spells, including the extremely spammable Mystic Shot would slow on it. Heck, if the enemy is running away from a push all at fairly low health but your team can't quite catch them, you can send your ult down the lane and slow all of them, take their hp down even further and your team can probably get some kills.

Zerethon

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheplague View Post
I have yet to see this in any Ezreal guides, but would Rylai's Crystal Scepter be any good on him? It would solve some HP issues, give a pretty large chunk of AP and every one of your spells, including the extremely spammable Mystic Shot would slow on it. Heck, if the enemy is running away from a push all at fairly low health but your team can't quite catch them, you can send your ult down the lane and slow all of them, take their hp down even further and your team can probably get some kills.
Rylais isnt that good, if you want AP go Zhonya's or something, He only slows on TP Arrow and Flux and his ulti, it costs wayyy too much, and comes in too late, when a lichbane comes in earlier and does many of the same things

If you want it, go frozen mallet instead, it slows on Q hits, buffs his Q hits, and his auto attacks, while still giving him health, but it's pointless because...

Trinity force does Chance-on-hit slows, Has the sheen buff, and a bunch of other helpful effects

Envihon

03-17-2010

I was having a great deal of trouble with playing Ezreal because of his squishyness but this guide actually helped me. I am getting more assists than actual kills but what matters is that I am effective now.

Zerethon

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envihon View Post
I was having a great deal of trouble with playing Ezreal because of his squishyness but this guide actually helped me. I am getting more assists than actual kills but what matters is that I am effective now.
Assists are his specialty, my current average is roughly 5-1-13 out of 25+ games in the last 2 days (lots of practice games, Kudos to anyone i've stomped or been shut down by)

It's good for stopping low-health runners, and breaking up team fights, not so much 1v1

Glad i could help, at least

myroprax

03-17-2010

like the guide not the item build :/ but your guide gives good insight on how to use his blink and line yourself up for his skillshots

Zerethon

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by myroprax View Post
like the guide not the item build :/ but your guide gives good insight on how to use his blink and line yourself up for his skillshots

The item build has Several reasons behind it:

Mana regen: Chalice gives you an absurd MP5 boost, and MR to boot, this lets you spam skills a LOT, so does Nashors

Mana: Sheen and Triforce both give mana, More mana + chalice = More MP5 which = More Effectiveness

AP: Lots of this, everywhere, Healing for 500+ and hitting for 800+ is always good, especially with...

Cooldown Reduction: Yep, quite a bit of this

On-hit effects: Lichbane, Triforce, sheen, Need i say more?

~5mins in with a good group, you have boots and a chalice

~10 you have a sheen, and possibly a Codex

~15 you have a nashors

~20 you have a triforce

~25 you have a lichbane

30mins or more, you should be utterly dominating the field, but if the game goes longer, you cant go wrong with a zhonyas/Archangels/Void staff/Abyssal/Etc.

With that item build, even against premades i do very very well, and in premades i absolutely dominate the field, and Dominate the numbers in assists and on occasion, kills, AP is just such a versatile carry build, you have healing, buffing/Debuffing, and good damage and survival, it makes my head hurt to see AD Ezreal's, they're stupid squishy and only have one heavy easy-to-avoid skill, and 3 lackluster ones

After all, any time i've 1v1'd an AD Ez, my Shift -> Flux -> Mystic -> Ulti has instakilled them, and with CDR and Creepsniping, that combo is up roughly every 40s for upwards of 2.4k damage mid/late game, early game with a tank lane-mate, my buffed heal and debuff, Hard-hitting ulti and tele arrow, and smart use of Summoner skills, more or less shuts down an enemy duo

but, as always, Your Mileage May Vary, i prefer being able to both nuke decently and heal and generally be an insanely hard to drop nuisance who farms assists and turrets like nothing, over being a one trick pony with a gimped ulti and tele, Let alone the gimped heal

Wakim

03-18-2010

Wow this guide is made by a noob.