[Discussion] AP vs AD Ezreal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChaosGopherSucks

03-20-2010

if you're going AP Ezreal, what abilities are you going to use in order to "take them down quick"? W? Are you going to be using W to heal, or to attack? If you're positioning to do both, you're wasting time in a team fight. And W cd is too high to be doing both in a teamfight as well. E is about all you have, but you're saving that to chase/escape no? And your ult fires only once. I fail to see how his abilities are "nuke-like".

Secondly, what items would an AP Ezreal build around? Besides snowballing Mejai's, I don't see how Ezreal can possibly "dominate midgame" if his farming sucks early game with AP (which it usually does). And we all know that Mejai's is unreliable.

As for AD/DPS problems:

- it only scales with Q

well that's the only skill Ezreal really needs. It's cost-efficient, spammable, increase AS, and decrease cd. For all that, you'd be doing 400-500 or more depending on how far your build goes with just Q

- do enough dmg fast enough

how does an AP Ezreal propose to do that? By using W? I honestly believe Q dmg>W in everyway until late game. E is used for chasing right? And if you're blowing off Flash just to position E for one shot (and also going into the middle of the teamfight prob)...well, why not just snipe with Q multiple times? The only thing AP Ezreal has is his ult...

- squishy

I never understood this concept. AP Ezreal would take what..? Rylai's and RoA to avoid being squishy? While AD takes frozen hammer, can someone explain to me the difference?

- It leaves his other 3 abilities under-powered

Q is more useful than W or E. The only skill that's gimped is really your ult. However, the damage from Q makes up for that imo, but that's just me.

- he becomes good only for ks'ing

A sustained DPS from a far-ranged skill and increased AS for Q...i don't consider that ks'ing

baalzy

03-20-2010

If you can't line up your W to hit 1-2 of your allies and 1-2 of your enemies, you're doing it wrong. If you cant last hit minions early game for gold, you're doing it wrong. If you cant rely on your team to keep you from getting ganked during a team fight, they're doing it wrong.

The biggest detriment to the AP build is simply the fact that it takes more player skill to use abilities on slightly higher recasts then it does to spam Q and auto attack.

And people, seriously, look at his skill-set. That W screams Healer/Nuker. If you want a hero that is going to take someone from 100% to dead in 2 seconds, play Ryze. If you want someone who is going to take several enemies to 50% in 2 seconds and bring your own team up by a good 20-30% while buffing attackspeed/debuffing their attack speed, play Ez.

dankclimes

03-20-2010

I'd like to introduce Zhonya's Ring to this discussion. I just wrote a guide about rushing to it which can be found here:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=78105

Zhonya's is great for an AP Ez because A) you don't have to rely on soul stealer stacks for AP and B) stasis is ridiculous on Ez. With stasis allowing you to go invlunerable for 2 sec you can easily go into a team fight and gank enemy carries then stasis and flash out. Or just tower dive like mad.

Personally I solve my mana problems with clarity and smart skill use. I have no problem last hitting with level 1 mystic shot so I never get any points in it beyond the first until late. Its so cheap at 35 mana that i dont really have mana problems while farming.

13lackC4t

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunster View Post
The difference to Mystic Shot is its low mana cost and spammability, which effects entire early-mid game.

I can spam mystic shot with my chalice, I can't for essence flux. And by the time I get brutalizer, there's already a huge difference between my mystic shot dmg and an AP Ezreal's mystic shot dmg. And at least in my experience, if AP Ezreal fails in the early game, it's severely gimped mid/late game because of shortage of gold/items.

And that's just it. If you miss on Essence Flux...well, there goes ur burst heal in a team fight and you better start spamming mystic shot to get your recharge back (which will be doing minimal dmg and be quite useless during that time). Meanwhile, if you go AD, missing 1 mystic shot is fine, because you can just keep spamming them.

And as for the healing idea, healing your allies for an X amt of health in AP, while in AD, you can take X amt of health away from your opponent, doesn't that amount to almost the same thing (it might be a stretch, I dunno).

For the sake of a decent early game, i'm willing to go AD to be effective, but yeah, it really depends on playstyle and your opponent.
lol, it's funny because I actually spam mystic shot early game too, I never use essence flux unless it's to heal or gank.

Also because I max arcane shift early game, my essence flux is pretty useless anyway.
And if you miss esesence flux in an early game team fight, hmm lemme think, I can either use my 300+ damage Arcane Shift, or use my 150 damage sheen-powered mystic shot, or pull off a 500+ damage Trueshot.

Who said I'm out of burst damage?

Trondiz

03-20-2010

Sheen, Boots, Mejais, Lichbane or Trin Force, Gunsoos + Brutalizer or Deathfire + Zyonas- I like lichbane/death/zyonas the best but both work.

Runes move 2 speed quints, 1 mana quint, ap pen red, cd reduc blue, half dodge half mana regen yellow

9/0/21

Cleanse/Flash.

Flash is still good on Ez even with is self flash.

1 point in Q, 1 point in W, Max E and ult with w/q last.

The reason you leave 1 point in q is for last hitting. You use q to harass 1-6 and last hit. Later you spam q to help cool you ult faster. In team fights you stay in the back, launch ult, spam q for cooldown reduction and w at allies and foes, or save ult and spam the other 2 and use ult to clean up runners if your team is strong. If they are weaker, you burn it quick to help them take down squishies quick and hopefully turn the fight your way.

I've been kicking ass with Ezreal.

Lumovanis

03-20-2010

I don't really know why people are complaining about mana issues for AP ez. I'm currently running a 9/0/21 spec, and have 2 tier 3 mana/5/lvl quints. Once I get chalice and hit about level 4 or 5, I really stop having mana issues at all. It can dip a little low after an ult, but that's about it. Maxing the passive mana masteries in utility and conserving mana during those first couple levels are the only tricks honestly. Mid to late game you should be able to spam just about everything you have whenever it's up, especially with regen added from Nashor's.

Handbananna

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrnodyn View Post
It's kind of funny, 1vs1 AP Ezreal wins, because AD Ezreal simply has both less survivability AND less burst.
yea well building champs around 1v1 dueling results against themselves is pretty fail logic for building in one direction, especially in a team based game D:/

Silent Reaper

03-20-2010

AD build is much stronger early game. Additionally, AD build is quite consistent.

AP Build gets stronger late game and surpasses AD build late game.
Now some people might say this is blasphemy but think about it this way.
Ezreal with LichBane, and AP items.
Spam mystic shot every 4 seconds = profit.
Also AP build doesn't make you die so dam often, which is something I have a problem with because I usually main tanks.

13lackC4t

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbananna View Post
yea well building champs around 1v1 dueling results against themselves is pretty fail logic for building in one direction, especially in a team based game D:/
Well if you put it that way in a team fight AP Ezrael is still more beneficial =/

congalong

03-20-2010

I seem to like AP better as a support/healer/dps instead of pure carry as AD