[Discussion] AP vs AD Ezreal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Project Voodoo

05-04-2010

I think that AD is more effective as solo queue, where you can't realy rely on your team and need to do some consistent damage yourself (most of the time, that is). AP is more effective when its premade, where you can coordinate better and help in teamfights immensely. Especially when you can coordinate heals, healing for 300+ health entire team.

GamBino826

05-04-2010

I don't understand it.... I don't get why people always think that DPS Ezreal is the best. They say that AP Ezreal is horrible, but I don't get why...

I think their logic is pretty faulty but they've been pretty adamant about it...and I disagree with them of course. I think AP Ez is still the best way to go.

Raiden30

05-04-2010

Look at your team comp..... have losta deeps already? go AP, already have nukers? go deeps. Ezreal can be a beast in either role

Morinav

05-04-2010

Whichever build you're comfortable with, really, they're both good. Personally, I feel that AP is stronger than AD overall, but some people have great success with AD builds so whatevs.

One thing to note, I don't often get a lot of last hits on champs with AP Ezreal. Even if I do get massive Mejai's stacks, my damage is so bursty that if I can't kill them in 1 combo (which I really can't unless they're the squishiest thing ever), I'm not going to get the kill. My stats usually end up something like 3/1/25 or something.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2010

First off, theorycrafting ANY 11,000+ gold build is ******ED.

Second, theorycrafting ANY build with the assumption of a full stacked mejais/SoO is ******ED.

What game are you guys playing where every match is 50 minutes long and you never die and you have 500AP or 400AD? Because it ain't LoL...

Build assuming you'll have ~6k worth of items and you might not be level 18 unless you were solo or got a lot of kills. If this isn't your thought process to begin with, then you have more important strategic goals to worry about than what to fill your 6th slot with.

--------

So, that being said, AD or AP?

Q - only good for laning, and shortening cooldowns until you have lichbane or trinity force. Essentially, until the effectiveness that item has on your Q is already somewhat obsolete, however it hits like a truck in the occasional long game so both items are eventualities. Sheen makes it better, but I guarantee the more valuable part of sheen is the 250 mana because it allows you to get off one more "Ezreal Combo"

W - still amazing without going AP. I'd say its 80% as good, because by the time you have enough AP for it to make a big difference (0.6 ratio), the game is pretty much over. But the effect IS multiplied over a POTENTIAL 9 targets.

E - is still amazing without going AP. 90% as good, I'd say. Base damage is still good early game, and the main factor in this ability is the movement, which doesn't change.

R - Base damage is still amazing. You'd need 400AP to double it at lvl 2.

In summation: AD is viable because his base abilities are so good, and what you lose in all of them you gain in auto-attack damage.

So what makes AP better than AD? Itemization, and the usefulness of the abilities. All of his base abilities are so good that you'll be using them all the time (or should be), but their mana cost is high and the only item with mana on it is the 300 from trinity(250 from sheen). And you have no regen worth mentioning. Essentially, if you have to constantly hold back so you don't go OOM, you are losing A LOT of your effectiveness. And AD Ezreal has no decent itemization to include a good mana pool/regen before going AD is already obsolete.

Khaztr

05-04-2010

I've played both AP and AD Ez extensively and have to admit that while I have more fun with AD, they both need to be an option. My Runes are set up to go either way, and I always start by getting Mana regen items, so by the time I'm ready to buy either AP or AD, I'll know which way I need to go that game (I tend to go AD vs. Tanks and AP vs. Casters).

My AP build focuses on his ult. I get Cooldown reduction and end up casting his ult about every 45 seconds to a minute. It can clear a lane and completely turn a team battle (as can his W). Lich Bane can also make very effective use of his Q (besides the cooldown benifits).

My AD build involves mainly the Bloodthirster and the Frozen Mallet. Farm with the Thirster to get your Lifesteal and AD up, then watch your opponents try to run away as you kill them from a distance with your Q while slowing them with the Mallet.

The problem with AD Ez is that his Ult and W aren't near as effective, but they still can be put to good use by using them to increase your AS, which is obviously very good when you have very high AD and a bit of lifesteal.

Morinav

05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingledot View Post
First off, theorycrafting ANY 11,000+ gold build is ******ED.

Second, theorycrafting ANY build with the assumption of a full stacked mejais/SoO is ******ED.

What game are you guys playing where every match is 50 minutes long and you never die and you have 500AP or 400AD? Because it ain't LoL...

Build assuming you'll have ~6k worth of items and you might not be level 18 unless you were solo or got a lot of kills. If this isn't your thought process to begin with, then you have more important strategic goals to worry about than what to fill your 6th slot with.

--------

So, that being said, AD or AP?

Q - only good for laning, and shortening cooldowns until you have lichbane or trinity force. Essentially, until the effectiveness that item has on your Q is already somewhat obsolete, however it hits like a truck in the occasional long game so both items are eventualities. Sheen makes it better, but I guarantee the more valuable part of sheen is the 250 mana because it allows you to get off one more "Ezreal Combo"

W - still amazing without going AP. I'd say its 80% as good, because by the time you have enough AP for it to make a big difference (0.6 ratio), the game is pretty much over. But the effect IS multiplied over a POTENTIAL 9 targets.

E - is still amazing without going AP. 90% as good, I'd say. Base damage is still good early game, and the main factor in this ability is the movement, which doesn't change.

R - Base damage is still amazing. You'd need 400AP to double it at lvl 2.

In summation: AD is viable because his base abilities are so good, and what you lose in all of them you gain in auto-attack damage.

So what makes AP better than AD? Itemization, and the usefulness of the abilities. All of his base abilities are so good that you'll be using them all the time (or should be), but their mana cost is high and the only item with mana on it is the 300 from trinity(250 from sheen). And you have no regen worth mentioning. Essentially, if you have to constantly hold back so you don't go OOM, you are losing A LOT of your effectiveness. And AD Ezreal has no decent itemization to include a good mana pool/regen before going AD is already obsolete.
Uh....

Ok man, I hate to break this to you, but 11,000 gold isn't that much for Ezreal. He can farm better than the entire country of China. If I go into a side lane as even candy ass AP Ezreal with 1 point in Mystic Shot until level 14, I can out-farm most champions mid.

Also, stacks. Stacks be easy to get on Ezreal. Dumb easy. You can do damage, you can support, both of which are awesome with the new support system. I got 30 freaking assist in a match a few days ago.

Even if I don't get 20 stacks, I usually get into the teens. Almost every game I end up getting a Chalice, Mejia's, Sorc Boots, Haunting Guide and Zhonyas. Very rare I don't get this far unless we're getting super rolled or the other team gets stomped before 25 mins. It's common for me to hit ~400 AP.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinav View Post
Uh....

Ok man, I hate to break this to you, but 11,000 gold isn't that much for Ezreal. He can farm better than the entire country of China. If I go into a side lane as even candy ass AP Ezreal with 1 point in Mystic Shot until level 14, I can out-farm most champions mid.

Also, stacks. Stacks be easy to get on Ezreal. Dumb easy. You can do damage, you can support, both of which are awesome with the new support system. I got 30 freaking assist in a match a few days ago.

Even if I don't get 20 stacks, I usually get into the teens. Almost every game I end up getting a Chalice, Mejia's, Sorc Boots, Haunting Guide and Zhonyas. Very rare I don't get this far unless we're getting super rolled or the other team gets stomped before 25 mins. It's common for me to hit ~400 AP.

You are just throwing words out there about how good you are, and you also aren't making much sense:

If you go a side lane you can out-farm until level 14 in the mid?

You got 30 assists in a match a few days ago. Meaningless... completely circumstantial. Its also possible to get 30 kills. You can also get 30 deaths.

So its rare for you to not get ~9k gold? I haven't FACED an Ezreal in memory that has done that well, let alone consistently, even if their team wins. I think I've seen an Ezreal with a full stacked Mejai's ONCE(Hell, its rare to see a full stack Leviathan on anyone). Very rarely does Ez get over 10 stacks because they tend to make themselves targets with no HP items and growing stacks.

Really, the types of games you talk about remind me of two recent situations:

1) When I started playing AP shaco and lost until my ELO dropped to a point where games lasted 45 minutes and I would get 500-700AP, only because everyone sucked too much to win. I gave up on Shaco :P

2) When I ATed with my lowbie friends and I could be super aggressive and walk away with a couple kills. The kind of play that got me immediately punished in solo queue.

Essentially what I'm saying is that you play with baddies. And I know this because your examples are what happens when I play with baddies.

Voidgolem

05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingledot View Post
Q - only good for laning

just...don't play Ezreal anymore. Please.

Tonnes of Dmg

05-04-2010

I tried out AD Ezreal, and it was pretty good. Getting Golem buff is great, with CDR runes and brutalizer, you can pretty much spam the **** out of Mystic Hit which hits like a truck without even getting into range.