[Discussion] AP vs AD Ezreal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pwnacus Maximus

04-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstoise View Post
I think AP works great on him for a few reasons:
1) If built with the correct items, he can have over 3k health, with high burst damage and slow
2) He is not supposed to be the main carry, but rather the one who follows the carry, constantly healing and buffing the main carry. (Works great with a jax)
3) His ultimate will do cray high damage, and become an amazing move to use in the beginning of a team fight.
That playstyle can work, but if i wanted to play a buffer i'd play soraka. I like to be cleanup, throw in an essence flux at the start when they are bunched up, to buff my teammates and do heavy damage, and wait for the first person to die, then arcane shift in and kill whoever's left. i like to save my ultimate for when they're retreating at close range, because it has a better chance to hit them, instead of sniping unless i KNOW i can hit them.

Jigokuro

04-05-2010

AP is definitely better.
I have no idea what you all are talking about with mana issues, I go AP and start with that +20 AP tome, and never get any mana regen, and yet do just fine. Granted I play TT not SR, so healing is a lot easier there.
My build is:
Kage's lucky pick
Catalyst
boots
RoA
Sorcerers boots
Rageblade
Lichbane
Then if it isn't over (normally is)
pick > Deathfire grasp (if they have a fat tank)
and/or some other AP; Z ring (400+ AP is lulz) or Void staff (Magic res? pfft).

No mana regen, and yet of 5 game today, 4 I won, mostly getting fb and generally assassinating anyone that is solo instantly.
Item justification:
Pick is the only gold item thats ever really worth it, since it is the only one that is an ingredient in a fine late game item.
RoA gives enough Mana that I don't run out, enough HP so that I'm not squishy, and more AP, great item for ez.
Rageblade is sweet as Q hitting gives 3 stacks instantly. so open with that and then the rest of your attacks have a great AP boost.
Lich is obvious. I normally am just finishing Sheen as I get the level to make Q 2.

AP ez is great in team fights with buffing and whatnot as said, but also almost no one can solo him like this, his burst is to high.

Potions

04-06-2010

Both are very viable, I have found. AD does more damage overall but you take a much bigger risk in doing so by having to be in autoattack range, and AP does quite a bit more burst damage and has a slightly more utility with a stronger heal but doesnt have the raw sustained damage AD Ez does.

They both have Pros and Cons and are tailored to slightly different playstyles, just try both and see which one you like more.

Doxylamine

04-06-2010

It's kinda expensive but i've been having AWESOME success with this;
http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/E...52b4de5b40262a

Consider this, Mystic shot has a 3.56Sec CD, your AD is 493 and Trinity will whack an extra 120% on top of that.

each mystic shot does ~103 *2.2 + 393+140 (759.6) dmg before resists.

Now, one of the biggest arguments I've seen against AD is that it lacks burst damage.

I disagree, consider the following (which i have had awesome success with also);

Mystic Shot +759.6 (2.56cd left after -1cd)
Arcane shift +280+38.1 (lets say you can do this in .8s)
Essence Flux +275+30.48 (lets say you pull this off in 1.2s if you're quick),
1 Auto attack +619.6 (because of trinity, you do 2.2x your AD... .6sec if youre quick)
Mystic Shot +759.6 (cd should just be finished)

This is burst damage of 2762.38 damage and will only take approximately 4 seconds to execute.

This will scare even the beefiest tank.

Practice it by using mystic shot on your target, then move your mouse just a little to the side or even right in front of them.

Then have your mouse ON YOUR TARGET BY TIME YOU TELEPORT, essence flux, then right click for the auto attack, and lead them just a little more again for mystic. They key is to move your mouse as little as possible to do this as fast as possible.

Your farming abilities will be godlike and if you're being harassed a lot or you're worried about being squishy, you can just spam mystic shot for huge damage, if you're a little more bold, your auto attack hits like a locomotive and god forbid some poor guy gets a crit strike for 1240 dmg...

Edited to fix math...
----
D

DayInTheSun

04-07-2010

I would get every single BF sword item in the game too if I was playing against bots.

Voidgolem

04-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxylamine View Post
It's kinda expensive but i've been having AWESOME success with this;
http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/E...52b4de5b40262a

Consider this, Mystic shot has a 3.56Sec CD, your AD is 493 and Trinity will whack an extra 120% on top of that.

each mystic shot does ~103 *2.2 + 393+140 (759.6) dmg before resists.

Now, one of the biggest arguments I've seen against AD is that it lacks burst damage.

I disagree, consider the following (which i have had awesome success with also);

Mystic Shot +759.6 (2.56cd left after -1cd)
Arcane shift +280+38.1 (lets say you can do this in .8s)
Essence Flux +275+30.48 (lets say you pull this off in 1.2s if you're quick),
1 Auto attack +619.6 (because of trinity, you do 2.2x your AD... .6sec if youre quick)
Mystic Shot +759.6 (cd should just be finished)

This is burst damage of 2762.38 damage and will only take approximately 4 seconds to execute.

This will scare even the beefiest tank.
Or I can buy a Mejai's and Lichbane for less money and still have Mystic Shot do ~700 damage, as well as beefing up my other spells >.>

It all comes down to personal preference.

gB6t0GaSrtYWp5RT

04-19-2010

leaguecraft

This is how I most often build Ezreal. I play very defensive with him and focus a lot on healing and doing massive damage in team fights. Main focus is on W and E.
Even if you don't get a lot of kills with him you will definately get a lot of assists. I very often end up with 20 stacks on mejai's and 550+ AP. You're not a carry but you have the ability to turn the tide on team fights.
There's a big chance that you get focused so stay in the background.

I think the max AP I've gotten with buffs is 667(long game).

IceDive

04-19-2010

I started out playing AP ezrael, and this build is great when you manage to get the right items. 500 AP + MagicPen and rylais make for a huge ult, and add lichbane for total rape. The optimal build would be lots of AP including lich bane. However, AP ezrael is not as good farmer as AD ezrael, and i think this is the main reason i have a hard time getting decent items early, causing me to be subpar as AP usually.

However, I thought I'd try an AD build just to see how that would work. I instantly had stats like 12/4/8. After some tweaking I found a build that really works for me, getting lots of kills even if the rest of my team fails. I have an easier time farming, and I am a bigger fan of the Q skill than W.

How you play Ezrael is a matter of prefernce I guess, even though I'd say it's pretty obvious that a 500AP build with Lich bane is just better than a 500 AD build. That being said, I play a lot better with an AD build, and will stick with this for now. I have seen AP Ezrael players that were really good too, maybe they would fail with an AD build.

For the curious, my build:

Doran's blade
Boots of swiftness
Sword of the occult
The brutalizer
The bloodthirster
The Black Cleaver
The bloodthirster (sell doran's blade)

masteries 21/0/9

Runes:
Blue CDR
Yellow MP5/L
Red: Armor pen
Quint: Flat Health

(I understand people getting sheen, since it helps Ezraels mana a lot, and does add some decent damage to Q. However, I find that with runes and Golem buff I have the mana I need, and that the brutalizer as early damage item works wonders. Sheen loses it's use endgame unless you spend 3000 gold getting Trinity. For 3000 i'd rather get a bloodthirster or BC. Also, the CDR and armor pen on the brutalizer will stay relevant all game long)

TL;DR

I can see how the optimal build would be AP with Lich Bane, AD just works better for me. Matter of preference how you play I guess.

skystream92

04-19-2010

Both AD and AP are viable. I play AD because I don't like AP's early/mid game.

Tonnes of Dmg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2010

I like AP simply because it's more fun. All your skills are augmented with AP, and Lich Bane solves the problem of a weak Mystic Shot while still giving you other essential stats. Overall, I think that the AP build is very good for team fights, as your Essence Flux can heal and damage for about 400, while Trueshot Barrage deals insane amounts of damage while all your enemies are bunched up.

This is how I build him personally

Starting:
2 Faerie Charms, 3 health potions

- Mejai's Soulstealer (get early to build up stacks)
- Boots of Speed
- Tear of Goddess (very useful, since you're going to be spamming skills all the time)
- Sheen
- Sorceror's Boots
- Lich Bane
- Archangel's Staff

Usually, the game ends by now, but if not, some items I like to get are:

- Void Staff
- Rylai's Scepter
- Zhonya's Ring

I haven't played AD too much, so I can't really say how well it works for me.