[Discussion] AP vs AD Ezreal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2010

Sheen is 1k gold cheaper then Guinsoo I sometimes forgo the chalice till later for a Sheen first. Boots I do grab first though. Sheen is definately something I would get first unless you got a pretty large farm on to begin with.

dankclimes

04-02-2010

Screw sheen. there are way better items for ezreal. Most specifically zonyas ring. Rylais also I find much more useful than sheen. 80% of 200-300 physical damage really isnt that much dmg when compared to.....

Lich Bane, now that's an item i can USE on ezreal. +100% dmg based on AP. And with AP ez i can easily get 350-500 AP by the time an AD build could hit 200-300 damage. so +100% of 350 AP is +350 damage. +80% of 300 damage (im being kind here) is only +240 damage (110 damage less and thats conservative). And then late game with ~ 500 ap lich bane will proc for full damage and your q shot will hit for about 500-600 damage. I really don't see how you can proc for that much damage with an AD build and only 80% on sheen (i guess you need trin force for the 100% proc, but its still only like +300-350 vs +500 or +600 or +700 if ur 1337 and got ur full mejais).

EDIT: Ok so i haven't used trin force in a while and just checked and it seems its now 130% damage. That is a lot more useful. So, +390 from 300 base damage is definitely comparable to Lich bane damage, although I still feel its a bit less (then again with good armor pen on AD ez... well i guess its pretty close).

I'm not saying sheen isn't useful (it give a nice amount of mana some AP and the increased damage is definitely helpful), there are just better/more efficient ways to build ez if you want to maximize damage output, especially early game (i like to rush zonyas which gives me around 200 AP, but thats just my style).

ExpertHotdog

04-02-2010

Lol. To play Ezreal outside of AP is dumb. For one as an AD Ezreal all you can do is get mediocre damage with an attack speed boost. His auto-attack is weak and is puts you within killing range cause you're a squishy Ezreal, his Q is even worse when you go AD... If you go Soulstealer to Lichbane to Zhonya's your Q will be hitting well over 600 damage... not to mention all your other skills will have the equivalent damage. Your R has a 1:1 to ratio, so if your Q is dealing 600 then your ult in total has damage of over 1.2k.
There's just no debate. The total burst is enough to kill almost anyone. Banshee's aren't a problem, you have a skill that has a 3 second cooldown. You have an AOE heal/IAS spell that hits and heals for over 600.. There's no debate.

Rushing a sheen is STUPID. A bonus 50 damage on your Q, woopee! Okay, I thought you were an AP Ezreal? The only reason you should get a Sheen's if your 1) AD, or 2) Getting your Lichbane. And reason number one... is practically void considering anyone opting to build a hero around ONE skill is likely not a good idea. The goal is to increase ALL your skills potential giving YOU 4 skills to rip apart their team, as opposed to 1 weak long-ranged skill.

Mana Regen - Why do you need so much mana regen? Unless you're trying to solo the whole team you'll find you'll have enough mana to deal and heal damage, to finish off a kill for your Mejai's with E and lv. 1 Q costs 30 mana at which point you finally level it to 4 you should have enough mana to spam it as you please. And when you're low go back to base like everyone else. You don't need to stay in combat 24/7. You can even get killing blows from base with his ult.

Lerry's right. As far as "farming opportunity" Ezreal has crappy farm skills. A global ult that you probably don't wanna waste on creeps unless you've got some good CDR. Q and E help, but as far as farming, it's not one of your priorities. Your priority is killing PEOPLE, hence the Mejai's.

Voidgolem

04-02-2010

You rush the sheen with the intent of turning it into a lichbane after grabbing AP junk, y'know, so you aren't both gimpy and OoM constantly in the meantime.

I guess people don't understand that, though.

Edit: Sheen boosts based on BASE DAMAGE, not item damage. You could possibly skip it if you don't want trinity as an AD build. There's really no reason not to pick one up as an AP build, tho.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2010

For the cost of 3500 gold u can get sheen and guinsoo this allows you u to solo dragon and chew through a large minion wave in less then 10 seconds mid game. Sheen allows for either AP LB or AD TF. I don't see why you would just farm 3 40 ability sceptres for Zonhyas with the bonus of a 2 second immunity. If your caught 2 seconds of immunity isn't gonna save you and as Ez you shouldn't be going in the middle of a team fight anyways. I can see a zhonya's if the game is going long but farming for it mid game is not getting you much to benefit yourself or team at that time.

Especially with the quicker game of TT your barely going to get that one big item so better for the quicker more beneficial ones cheaper.

April Shaw

04-02-2010

I usually end up doing AP/magic pen Ezreal :0 usually start out with some mana regen (chalice or tear of the goddess), then a haunting guise, then i kinda just do whatever the other team isn't countering. I often find myself with like, doran's ring/boots/chalice/guise/brutalizer/rylai's then sell stuff for better stuff. No real reason not to do a bit of hybridization imo.

For skills, I max out E first, make sure I get one in Q and then max out W after E. I do Q before W though if our team lacks physical damage. Works for meh :|

I feel like the bulk of his damage comes from levels more than items. And, being able to spam all your abilities as much as possible, too.

Oh **** I knew I forgot something. I grab Sheen too lol

Longshadow

04-03-2010

Dankclimes, Boresark, you missed the point. You say Sheen is bad and then talk about Lich Bane, forgetting that the game doesn't start at minute 30. The reason you get sheen is that it's extremely efficient in the mid game, then builds into more useful items later. Compare it to Mejai's for a second. for an extra 25 gold, you get extra mana and a big boost to Mystic Shot. You even have more AP until you start stacking Mejai's. Now, if you can stack Mejai's without any other damage boosting items, then of course Mejai's starts to look better. But that will only happen if you're much, much better than your opponents, at which point it doesn't really matter what items you get. Also, how are you going to stack mejai's with no boosts to your mana or mana regen? At level 9, you have 595 mana and your full spell combo costs 350+, so you can have at most two fights before you have to go back to regen, which means missing out on XP and gold from being in a lane(not to mention more opportunities to eat the amazing feeders you're killing with no DPS boost).

The reason that you get Sheen first is that it gives you a strong power boost that you can turn into gold and XP to put yourself in better position for the late game. Then, later, you can turn it into a Lich Bane anyway.

Voidgolem

04-03-2010

On a win streak with Ezreal:

Rush sheen. Begin with Q (Even with magic pen, Q hits harder than your other two skills at level 1, plus you can spam it).

Get rank 1 shift and focus on essence flux afterward. put extra points into shift when you can't boost ult/flux anymore.

Buy soulstealer and boots 1/upgrade as needed after sheen. Consider putting together RoA/Banshees if necessary, finish lichbane otherwise.

Work on Zhonya's once lichbane's done.
~

People typically start with less armor than MR, I've found >.>

pubstar

04-03-2010

the way i build him is best

Pwnacus Maximus

04-03-2010

I'd like to see an AD ezreal go 26/2/3. against same leveled summoners, no smurfs, nothing.