Blitztank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Racneth

03-17-2010

Been messing around with tanks, and have started to wonder why I have never seen a tank itemized Blitz in any game I have played (300+). Looking at his stats, it seems completely viable to me. He has good HP, a (albeit somewhat weak) survival passive, can initiate with a well placed grab, and has a low cooldown single target stun...meaning he seems to have sufficient utility to pull of a good tank (better than Gragas for example, which I have seen tank itemized several times).

Now I realize that Alistar, Rammus, Cho, and Singed would obviously be "tankier" (I play my fair share of Singed and a buddly plays tons of Ali), but is there opinions of why this is never done? Even the "tank" builds in Blitz guides I find pretty much do a Trinity rush (which seems to lean far more to the DPS side than tank to me and was the build I would do when I used to play him more).

So, anybody actually build him tank out there? There a good guide I missed that doesn't involve Trinity?

I have a bunch of items that seem to make sense on him to make him tankier than the Trinity build. Some even retain some damage. As with any tank, builds are decided by what will be most effective against the team you are facing, but Frozen Heart, Frozen Mallet, Thornmail (Blitz gets targetted...who doesn't want revenge for a pull and punch?), and Banshee's all seem to make a lot of sense on him. Just grabbing Sheen for the damage boon and mana it gives also sounds good, while avoiding the 4k price tag for the full trinity.

Alucard628

03-17-2010

I almost always build him as a tank, though I still rush triforce first after phil stone. It seems when I build him more tank like I end up carrying the team more than if I go dps.

Pisev

03-17-2010

I've been using blitzcrank as a tank for a while now and this is what I've come up with. It's probably not the best way to go about things, so any suggestions would be better, but it hasn't served me horribly.

Currently if I build blitz as a tank, I initially push glacial shroud and merc treads. Blitz's major drawbacks to me felt like not having enough early mobility and not having enough mana. Glacial Shroud fixes both of those problems since it has synergy with Blitz's W. It will be even nicer when Sage's Ring gets replaced with 2x Sapphire Crystal.

I'll start:
Cloth Armor, 1x health pot, 3x mana pot.
Merc treads or finish shroud
Complete Merc + Shroud set.

At this point, it's very dependent on how the game is looking and I'll choose between items, depending on opposing teams carry/biggest threat.

Priority 1 items will be either:
Banshee's Veil or complete Frozen Heart.

Other later options include:
The other priority 1 option
Spirit Visage
Guardian Angel
Force of Nature
Thornmail
Rod of Ages (not entirely desirable because I generally won't gain full benefit of the time buff, but the AP is nice)

Leviathan is also looking really good post patch, but I haven't gotten to try it out yet. I generally have 10-12 assist minimum, with 15-16 average.

The biggest problem I have is that my early game feels really slow, which is partially due to mana issues. Any suggestions for how this could (or more accurately would) be made better are appreciated.

roythebutcher

03-17-2010

I play Blitz strictly as a DPS/Support/Tower pusher. The reason I stay away from a armor/health heavy build is because other than his mana shield passive, there are no skills that suggest he can tank an enemy team's focus fire. Both his CC's are single target, and his second skill increases his attack/move speed, and his ult is an AOE damage move.

I start building him with a sheen. This item will has terrific synergy with power fist AND gives you that huge early mana pools. I can get off about 4 hooks in before even turning level 2 because I start out with a mana stone. I try to stay in my lane until I have 1300 gold or so to buy sheen and boots at the same time. My next item would be either mercury or swiftness boots, depending on the game progression. If I feel that I'm being ganked/focused a lot, I might start building a phage before my boots. After phage, I choose between brutalizer or shroud. Both items give 10% CDR which makes power fists even more spammable. The game usually ends by then but I will either finish making frozen shroud and trinity if it goes on longer. (Replace shroud with veil if it's caster heavy)

The reason I don't finish trinity immediately is because I don't think blitz really needs attack speed or move speed to make it worthwhile midgame. More importantly, he needs to have a lot of AD to make power fists count more when he uses it.

Scwintz

03-17-2010

The reason no one plays Blitzcrank as a tank is because Blitzcrank is better DPS and AP than he is tank. Personally I lean DPS for Blitzcrank.

I start off with mana stone + health potion + mana potion. Next I get Sheen + regular boots.
Go out fight some more, come back and buy Beserker Greaves. Then I build Infinity edge. After infinity edge I build trinity force going phage first. Then after that I build frozen heart for the cooldown reduction and extra protection it gives.

Sheen > Bezerk Greaves > Infinity Edge > Trinity Force > Frozen Heart

GG Build. With that build everytime your land a grab and burst all of your abilities the champion will be dead.

AmyOverlord

03-17-2010

I play Blitz tank. I also take the mastery that gives you health regen based on your maximum mana. So I need not worry about any health regen items.

I go for:

Sapphire Crystal + 2 HP Pots. Build that into a Catalyst, then Boots. (full boots). Then build into RoA.

After that, I go for Rylai's Scepter, then Sheen. Then I build another RoA, then Lich Bane. If the game is not over at this point, I then get either GA or Frozen Heart. Depends. (I also get Lich Bane before my 6th)

So, in a nutshell:

Crystal + 2 HP pots. Catalyst.
Full boots.
Build into RoA.
Rylai's.
Sheen.
RoA.
Frozen Heart/GA.
Sheen -> Lich Bane.

Jravolta

03-17-2010

Blitz works really well as a tank with some damage. Every time I play him, I go:

Sapphire Crystal + 2 health
> Sheen
Boots of Mobility (for hitting 500 movement with your w and then grabbing someone)
Frozen Mallet

after that it really depends. If survivability is an issue, get a Banshee's Veil/Thornmail/Force of Nature. If not, get Infinity edge or something damage related. Either way, your combo + sheen does plenty of damage and the Frozen Mallet ensures that no one gets away when they get grabbed. Cooldown reduction can be nice if you want to smack someone up in the air every 2 seconds.

Ninja Cyborg

03-17-2010

Blitz is a character that best helps the team. This is not done as a tank. Try:
meki pendant/feindish codex
boots (mercs/ninja)
Rod of ages.

From then on buy wards or support items. Usually I end up spending 1k on wards in a 35 min game. Makes for easy wins.

Lightwrks

03-17-2010

Doran's Shield
Sheen
Boots
Force of Nature/ Frozen Heart
Frozen Heart/ Force of Nature

Win!