Harsher Punishment for Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ankokutairiku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

2 Weeks Ago

Ahoy there fellow Summoners and Riot.

About a year ago, I stumbled upon this video on YouTube named "League of A**holes - The Ranked Experience" by Elementz. It was definitely a great vlog to listen to and I feel it deserves attention from Riot. We'll keep this on the side.

Now, I haven't played Ranked in a long time. I became occupied with other video games (damn you Gabe) that I spent thousands of hours on. Every once in a while, I'd jump in an ARAM with my brother and a few friends to have some fun. At one point, my competitive side started knocking at my door again, awakened from his slumber, telling me to play ranked.

Obviously, I listened. I love competition. That and I was tired of the inactivity notification lol.

But before I jumped in ranked, I made sure to play a few dozen normal games in order to get rid of all the dust and rust I had from not playing a proper SR game for a while. When I felt I was ready and prime, I entered the realm.

In only four games, I remembered why I stayed away from ranked.

I do not understand why there are players with such good sportsmanship in normals, but absolute poison in ranked. Everybody is wishing each other good luck, insane invades are happening, the kills are very low, barely anybody is bad-mouthing others (it still happens obviously). Why are people playing so passionately in normals and not ranked? Isn't it also supposed to be passionate in ranked? Where people play to win, gain LP and move up the ladder? Oh no. Players are raging after losing a single kill, missing CS, blaming others, being utterly vindictive, wishing ill will on you and your family. Oh, not to mention the homophobic and racial slurs that are thrown left, right and center.

The list goes on and I won't bother because I know you guys have already been victims to such atrocious behaviour. Needless to say, after the four games, I went ahead and re-watched the video that I mentioned earlier. And you know what? It's true. There SHOULD be a ban from ranked games altogether. They can continue to play their normals and draft, but that's it, not ranked. Ranked has no place for those who are unable to control themselves and who's only intent is to ruin other people's experience.

I do not care if you are not mechanically adept or strong at the game. That's fine, we are still learning. I'm only silver II and an support/adc main, I know I got a TON to learn. But when someone forces others to mute them and creates a negative atmosphere, that's exactly when they should be removed from ranked. And the only way back in ranked would be to make an appeal.

Now don't get me wrong, Riot is trying their very best to deal with such toxicity and negativity, but unfortunately for them, it is difficult to keep their eyes on everyone, hence our beautiful (sometimes sullied) Tribunal system.

They don't even have to ban their accounts altogether, just ban them from ranked. The banning method (2-weeks, month, permaban) for the account can carry on the way it is, but for ranked it should simply be a ban and that's it. You want to get back in? Send Riot an appeal with your story as to why they should let you back in ranked. You should only be allowed a single chance. After Riot agrees to lift your ranked ban, they will let you know via email. Upon login, you will be warned that it is literally your last chance and if you are banned again, that's game over. That should instill the fear that the jerks have been lacking ("LOL REPORT ME, IDFC NOOB." Sounds familiar?)

Fellow Summoners and Riot, please do watch the video. And I hope this truly happens to make ranked a delightful experience. Will this make ranked harder? Hell yeah it will, with all the trolls and jerks out, but I'd MUCH rather have that than roflstomps here and there, simply because this duo queue decided to AFK because their team doesn't reach their expectations.

themaddscientist

2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankokutairiku View Post
Ahoy there fellow Summoners and Riot.
Greetings! However, if your intent is to grab Riot's attention, they seldom frequent these forums, so you might be better off sending your request to them in a support ticket or posting in the new Boards.

Quote:
About a year ago, I stumbled upon this video on YouTube named "League of A**holes - The Ranked Experience" by Elementz. It was definitely a great vlog to listen to and I feel it deserves attention from Riot. We'll keep this on the side.
I will admit that I haven't watched it, and don't have time as I'm typing this to look it up, can you give a quick summary for what it was about, or at least a link to the video if I can spare the time later?

Quote:
Now, I haven't played Ranked in a long time. I became occupied with other video games (damn you Gabe) that I spent thousands of hours on. Every once in a while, I'd jump in an ARAM with my brother and a few friends to have some fun. At one point, my competitive side started knocking at my door again, awakened from his slumber, telling me to play ranked.

Obviously, I listened. I love competition. That and I was tired of the inactivity notification lol.
I can definitely understand being pulled into competition, that's the main reason that this game had held onto me for so long. I don't play as much as I used to, but once I actually jump into Ranked it feels like I'm back in familiar territory.

Quote:
But before I jumped in ranked, I made sure to play a few dozen normal games in order to get rid of all the dust and rust I had from not playing a proper SR game for a while. When I felt I was ready and prime, I entered the realm.

In only four games, I remembered why I stayed away from ranked.

I do not understand why there are players with such good sportsmanship in normals, but absolute poison in ranked. Everybody is wishing each other good luck, insane invades are happening, the kills are very low, barely anybody is bad-mouthing others (it still happens obviously). Why are people playing so passionately in normals and not ranked? Isn't it also supposed to be passionate in ranked? Where people play to win, gain LP and move up the ladder? Oh no. Players are raging after losing a single kill, missing CS, blaming others, being utterly vindictive, wishing ill will on you and your family. Oh, not to mention the homophobic and racial slurs that are thrown left, right and center.
I wish there wasn't as much toxicity in this game, but it's important to bear in mind the added stress that is in a Ranked game. In normals, it's okay if you win or lose, because you aren't really gaining anything or losing anything. The games are a lot less consistent, and since I usually play to win when I play Summoner's Rift I seldom frequent them, unless I'm in a premade group. However, in Ranked, they have the stress of trying to win going on, so they aren't as willing to take chances (which could be a good thing considering how over-aggressive Silver can be), and are more likely to lash out in anger. I'm not trying to say that their behavior is in any way acceptable, but it's a very understandable response if they do get angry at this game. I get angry at the game too, but I will condemn those who do rage because there are other outlets other than your team to let your frustration out on.

Quote:
The list goes on and I won't bother because I know you guys have already been victims to such atrocious behaviour. Needless to say, after the four games, I went ahead and re-watched the video that I mentioned earlier. And you know what? It's true. There SHOULD be a ban from ranked games altogether. They can continue to play their normals and draft, but that's it, not ranked. Ranked has no place for those who are unable to control themselves and who's only intent is to ruin other people's experience.

I do not care if you are not mechanically adept or strong at the game. That's fine, we are still learning. I'm only silver II and an support/adc main, I know I got a TON to learn. But when someone forces others to mute them and creates a negative atmosphere, that's exactly when they should be removed from ranked. And the only way back in ranked would be to make an appeal.
The Ranked community does not consist of the majority of the people who play this game, and even if that was the case, a Ranked ban might make things a little better for Ranked queues, but it would make normals a lot worse. It doesn't actually solve the problem, it just shifts the problem on what the Ranked players who would be banned consider "filthy casuals." They would be more willing to troll out of anger and be a jerk in normals because, after all, "it's only normals." Banning from any queue would work similarly to a prisoner's island situation, and while such a situation can work for binary behaviors such as leaving, something as subjective as toxicity is never going to be implemented by Riot. Ranked may not be the place for those who can't control their emotions, but neither are normal queues. We've already got problems with those who are time banned making new accounts and harassing new players, do you want to make that situation worse?

Quote:
Now don't get me wrong, Riot is trying their very best to deal with such toxicity and negativity, but unfortunately for them, it is difficult to keep their eyes on everyone, hence our beautiful (sometimes sullied) Tribunal system.

They don't even have to ban their accounts altogether, just ban them from ranked. The banning method (2-weeks, month, permaban) for the account can carry on the way it is, but for ranked it should simply be a ban and that's it. You want to get back in? Send Riot an appeal with your story as to why they should let you back in ranked. You should only be allowed a single chance. After Riot agrees to lift your ranked ban, they will let you know via email. Upon login, you will be warned that it is literally your last chance and if you are banned again, that's game over. That should instill the fear that the jerks have been lacking ("LOL REPORT ME, IDFC NOOB." Sounds familiar?)

Fellow Summoners and Riot, please do watch the video. And I hope this truly happens to make ranked a delightful experience. Will this make ranked harder? Hell yeah it will, with all the trolls and jerks out, but I'd MUCH rather have that than roflstomps here and there, simply because this duo queue decided to AFK because their team doesn't reach their expectations.
Again, a link would be appreciated to the video so I know exactly what he is saying. However, my point remains: a ban from rank doesn't solve the problem, it only makes it worse for those who are trying to have fun rather than be competitive. Not to say we can't have fun with this game, but what we do to have fun and what we do to win are two very different things. I can have a lot of fun on Ezreal in normals or ARAM, but I'm a terrible ad carry in Ranked and am not to be trusted in that role. Besides, if people are as toxic as you claim, and even when I was back in Silver II I don't remember it being that horrendous, then they're going to be hit with 14-day bans inevitably. You're essentially punishing them twice at this point, but for the same crime, and that's a double jeopardy that Riot doesn't want to implement.

Ankokutairiku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

2 Weeks Ago

Here's the video you requested.

Quote:
It doesn't actually solve the problem, it just shifts the problem on what the Ranked players who would be banned consider "filthy casuals."
And you know what? You are right. Shifting the problem doesn't solve the problem in its entirety. I'm not afraid to admit that I did indeed put all my focus on my fellow competitive allies and not the casual players. So I relinquish that thought but do alter it just a smidge:

Instead of outright bans from a game mode, the punishment should be graver, such as one would get a 2 week ban from normal reports and 3 week from ranked reports. That sounds very very basic at the moment, but I'm sure that something can be figured out that spells justice and is fair. AS LONG as the problem isn't being shifted, as per my original post, and Riot is dropping the banhammer like crazy, then I'll be satisfied, but for now, I will deal with it because I know they are trying their best. Just patiently waiting and just letting my voice, albeit not important, be heard.