A Lesson in Victory from Sun Tzu - Why Team Fights are bad!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-17-2010

Many classic military doctrines apply to a game like this. You covered the broad scope of Sun Tzu.

For me all that applies in a broad sense and you can of course make it apply in the micro sense.

He also advises to attack where the enemy is not. Which you have listed trying to hold them at a tower while 2-3 peel off to another tower. I'd advise only one it is easier to disguise 5 with 4 then 3 as 5. Now the one that splits off needs to be someone that can chew through minions fast and also hurt a tower fast. Also the lane of choice needs to be a quick decision based on tower health and if your minions are on a winning push already at the moment.

Case in point a game yesterday that I was playing as Teemo. Both teams had all reached a meeting point on their 2nd tower top. I had originally been bottom and knew the bottom tower was all but dead and minions were about to finish it off so I took off for bottom lane. As I get there the team is screaming come join them wtf and such I ignored them. I could see the whole other team still at that tower. So I kept going and dropped the next tower. Of course at that point the other team decided to split some off. I went to brush and stealthed waited till they went back top and got the minions rolling again for the last tower in lane.

The whole time my team kept pressing the top tower. Twice more first halfing the last tower in bottom lane and then taking it and inhibitor after. I dropped back stealthed as they came looking and grabbed minions back up each time wiping the lane solo. While both teams engaged for a long time on the top lane. Now during their searches for me it allowed the top lane to eventually take that tower. They surrendered shortly after I imagine it was quite demoralizing.

Jagrazor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-17-2010

This is pretty much what happened to me, several times. I decided to write this to get the word out. Sometimes what you did is a good idea. Sometimes it isn't. Clearly in your situation it was, and I think most of the time it probably is. If you can keep the other team running around looking for people or scrambling to defend then you'll win simply because you kept them busy doing nothing while your team makes progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikhan View Post
He also advises to attack where the enemy is not. Which you have listed trying to hold them at a tower while 2-3 peel off to another tower. I'd advise only one it is easier to disguise 5 with 4 then 3 as 5. Now the one that splits off needs to be someone that can chew through minions fast and also hurt a tower fast. Also the lane of choice needs to be a quick decision based on tower health and if your minions are on a winning push already at the moment.

Case in point a game yesterday that I was playing as Teemo. Both teams had all reached a meeting point on their 2nd tower top. I had originally been bottom and knew the bottom tower was all but dead and minions were about to finish it off so I took off for bottom lane. As I get there the team is screaming come join them wtf and such I ignored them. I could see the whole other team still at that tower. So I kept going and dropped the next tower. Of course at that point the other team decided to split some off. I went to brush and stealthed waited till they went back top and got the minions rolling again for the last tower in lane.

The whole time my team kept pressing the top tower. Twice more first halfing the last tower in bottom lane and then taking it and inhibitor after. I dropped back stealthed as they came looking and grabbed minions back up each time wiping the lane solo. While both teams engaged for a long time on the top lane. Now during their searches for me it allowed the top lane to eventually take that tower. They surrendered shortly after I imagine it was quite demoralizing.

Kikhan

03-17-2010

My feeling is that a tower is the equivalent of another player maybe 2 depending on team levels and a teams survive ability.

Back dooring is another thing you can add to this discussion as I have seen a BD stop many a push and win some games. It readjusts the Schwerpunkt or focus of the enemy military abiility. Generally by just reducing the pushing groups effective offense you have stopped or at least stalled a push.

haaaaaaaalp

03-17-2010

I think you are getting long-term and short-term strategy mixed up. Most games focus much more on short-term victories than actual wars. Short-term victories go a long way in LOL because of how much impact one hero or tower has. Keeping all three lanes pushed and waiting for a perfect setup to fight is good long-term strategy. However, due to the way LOL is made, one large 5 man push can easily do more than 20 minutes of defensive pushing and setting up.

Jagrazor

03-17-2010

You're right, sometimes.

But if your team is doing the 5 hero push, and my team can just slow you down a lot with 3 or 4 heroes then my high dps heroes can go and cruise through your undefended towers and inhibitors until you fall peel off to go defend.

This is my point. There isn't one answer to the question, "What should we do to win?"

xrats

03-17-2010

The same things i have stated long ago(with some good points missing).However,its a real pity i cant work on them since i play mainly solo que and sometimes i play with friends we play only for fun since they dont care to be good players at this game.

Very nice post and informative.Well done.