Last Whisper vs Sword of Divine

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

12obert13oyle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-17-2010

So since jax is extremely popular these days i've been getting SOD on all my attack damage heroes instead of my last whisper. The active ablility on SOD is really nice and i was curious how the two items match up to each other. Has anyone done any mathcraft on these two items for a comparison?

Attack speed: SOD has 15% more attack speed

Damage is a bit more tricky: Last whisper has +20 damage (physical hard dps that hit's crit multipliers recieves bonus from armor penetration) Where SOD gets 100 magic damage every 4th attack. (so in 4 attacks LW will do 80 dps, where SOD will do 100, but like i said that 100 damage is magic not physical and as such isn't quite as good in most cases)

Armor pen: last whisper attacks penetrate 40% of all armor ALWAYSA, where SOD penetrates 30 armor for 5 seconds on a 60? sec cd . the more armor they have the better 40% becomes, so as long as their armor is >75 LW will penetrate more armor and is better. And it's always not just for 5 seconds.

And last the ability to always never have your attacks dodged, (i'm pritty sure you can still miss, when blinded or exasusted havn't tested though) this is an added bonus when fighting folks with high dodge *gaze jax* but also udyr or any tank who's gone down the tank tree and gotten ninja tabi to avoid a team of all physical dps solo quers.

in short if I don't have to worry about my attacks getting dodged I typicly go for LW, dispite the 15% less attackspeed. But if i need to be able to put the hurt on someone with high dodge I get SOD.

However for all those folks who get 2xlast whisper please stop, the armor pen dosn't stack, get one SOD and one LW if your heart is set on maxing your attack speed. (I don't support this either, but it's better than getting 2 last whisper)

So is one item "better" or are they just situational? I havn't done any testing other than just playing. But on paper would SOD add more DPS output than LW or vice versa in more situations than the other.

aaaaannnnd go: comments/feedback/mathcrafters

Multisingularity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-17-2010

I like SOD a lot and think it is an underused item for how good it is. But opinions aside.

If you have other armor removing items or runes, remember the % reduction goes AFTER the flat. So say you want to get a black cleaver or the cheap 15 armor one, the SOD is definitely better.

I think you underrate the can't be dodged factor.

Aslo, how do they compare in price?

AutoSponge

03-17-2010

SOD is really good. But if you don't have magic pen (and how many DPS champs carry that), you're also hitting the average magic resist (~36). That reduces the proc to about 73 instead of 100.

SOD, on Ashe for instance, will post DPS of:
140 vs. 30 armor (early game),
113 vs. 70 (avg mid-late game),
and 75 vs. 200 (tanks).

The LW on the other hand, will perform 142, 118, and 76 against the same targets. Since a DPS champ will also likely take some armor pen in runes, LW will be even better for scaling damage and crits.

Once you activate SOD, the boost performs even better: 175, 132, 80.

It's one of my top value items. But it's value comes in burst damage during a team fight or taking down a difficult hero like Jax. Overall higher DPS comes from LW.

12obert13oyle

03-17-2010

SOD is 2170 and LW is 1965

that's an almost negligible difference of 205

and with everyone getting dodge runes yes the ability to make a good chunk of someone's expensive runes useless for awhile is really really good. I'm just not sure that 5 seconds of awesome is worth the always working LW, except in specific instances.

but yes i also feel that SOD is underused.

roninsm

03-17-2010

SOD should be taken only for countering jax imo. The armor pen is much more valuable otherwise.

Kajitii

03-17-2010

I've gotten SoD for when I was trying to counter squishy dodgy DPSers. I had no idea what kind of dodge an enemy Teemo was packing, but when I used SoD on him, he went down like a brick. But really, I would have rather CCed his ass if I had the choice.

Ragias

03-17-2010

I really like SOD on TF. I go with an attack speed build that has been doing pretty good. It is hybrid and relies on his new ability, Stacked Deck. SOD is the highest attack speed item in the game meaning using on characters with lots of on hit effects will make it better than LW. The armor-pen on LW is a lot less attractive when about half of the damage you do is magical anyways.