Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

MR/Defense vs. HP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NintendoChalmers

05-20-2011

Played a Rammus game the other day and it got to be pretty long. Toward the end, I felt like stacking defensive stats wasn't increasing my mitigation so much. Had Mercs, FoN, Banshees, Randuin, Thornmail. Was sitting at 300+ armor and 180 MR before DBC (I think), but I was still going down quick to focus+burst because I only had about 3k HP. I took out Thornmail at the end and my physical damage mitigation only dropped by like 5%. I wonder if it made sense for me to pick up Warmog at some point cause the synergy between 4.5k HP and 200 MR/Def would have given me much more effective life, wouldn't it?

edit: Oh snap I know what I did. I forgot to get Sunfire... so fail!!! Still, I wonder if it makes sense to replace that Thornmail with something with more HP for better durability. I know armor gives me more damage, but I'm tank Rammus. Not like I was doing damage late game.

Anyway, my original question was under what situation would warmog makes sense, (like when you can reasonably get 200 MR/armor or something like that because of the synergy?) I have never bought warmog because everyone says it's newbie and bad. I guess in my case as Rammus, I should have just gotten sunfire first.

Anyone know any resource where I can punch some numbers in or something? Cause I would rather not test this out in game.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyuketsuki

Recruiter

05-20-2011

Basic Guide to Effective hit points.

Ignoring Penetrations at the moment:
RV = Resistant Value (use either armor or Magic Resist)
eHP = effective Hit Points (how much magic/physical damage it will take to kill you)
% reduction = (RV) / (100+RV)
eHP = % reduction * Hit Point Current

Special Cases:
Flat Penetration
RV = armor or MR - penetration value
then do above calculations

Percentage Penetration
RV = armor or MR * (1 - (1/100 * percentage penetration))

Important Final Note do penetration calculations in this order
runes/masteries flat pen
runes/masteries percent pen
items flat pen
items percent pen

Final point: effective hit points are a combination of flat health and resistance. Since resistances have diminishing returns, and health has linear returns, Late game when resistance values get above 150-200, consider getting more health, or more damage so that the enemy team has a reason to focus you as opposed to teammates.