Philo Stones

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CobraKais

05-19-2011

I've been playing a Brand build that goes 2 quick philosopher stones followed by boots, soulstealer, deathcap, void staff and then whatever the game calls for... I get raged on quite a bit for it, but the philo stones do add some nice income and allow me to farm like mad without worrying about mana.

is this that big of a problem? people complain because of the lack of damage, but the extra farming and constant harrassment seems to pay off more often than not.

Thoughts? I get a little bored just doing the same build over and over and its been kind of fun anyway, but its amazing how much people rage about it like there is only one way to do something.

Sophyne

05-19-2011

Try grabbing like a Blasting Wand, then a Philo.

Two is too much, imo.

CobraKais

05-19-2011

I only grab the second one so I can continuously farm and harass. Even if I don't get kills, my opponents get no kills and no farm while I get tons of farm plus the extra 5 per 10. It also means I don't have to get something like tear of goddess first to keep enough mana to fight an entire team fight. When I've done other builds I always run out of mana to soon and have to back, or i have to take mana runes instead of AP/Pen runes.

OptimusPrimate

05-19-2011

Depends on who you're laning against, as you will be extremely squishy. A catalyst is much better against anyone who can nuke you down after level 6, which many of the solos could easily do. If they're just a poke champ, though, it's viable imo.

Hedgemonster

05-19-2011

I'm not a brand player, but here are my thoughts (based on Karthus mostly, so adjust as needed):

You say you take 2 philos so you can continually farm and harass, and so you don't have to get a tear first. I find with Karth at least, if I start building towards a tear right away I only have to go back once for mana even with pretty solid harassment (this coincides with me getting a tear; that, plus a mana pot or two, is enough to keep me spamming lay waste until my mana catches up and I never worry about it again). Teleport means I lose pretty much no lane time, and going tear over philo stone means I start building towards that extra 1000 mana asap.

Additionally, since you have pretty low health as brand, I should think that a couple health pots can easily take the place of health regen items.

My recommendation is to always start with a tear, and then if you really want, grab a philo stone after. I would only do this on a caster (or anyone who can farm well) if I was planning to build it into a miracle later for the tenacity. That's my two cents, anyway.

Domitan

05-19-2011

Idk about philo on brand.. maybe if it's gonna be your source of mana/hp regen till late game, but otherwise you'd be better suited getting some power for mid game. Dunno

Stinglock

05-19-2011

Sacrifice Early-Mid Dmg.
Gain Spammability and Survivabilty.

Considering his passive, this would be a good idea.

VerumVenari

05-19-2011

As teemo right now, I run boots > double phillo, which allows you to be one of the greatest harassers of all time. Pillo can just keep you in lane so long. I have always found them useful, but I could see why people wouldn't like em.

Reamer

05-19-2011

I just grab one on him my slef, but saing its for the gold is kinda lane its for the health and mana Regen the gold it add is in a word sad.

2 of them seems like much seeing as Brand is strongest mid game, i personally would like my rylais by then, but i can see how the Mana woudl help greatly early fights

CobraKais

05-19-2011

The health/mana regen is the biggest component for me. The gold is jsut nice because once I hold onto them for about 5-10 minutes, the extra 5/10 and crazy farming I can do more than makes up for the cost of the philosophers themselves.

I'm just a little amazed at how angry people get when they see it. I usually assume there are at least 3-4 different ways to play a character, but it seems like a lot of people only want to see super fast AP brand and high AP might not be the best route to go every game, at least early. I prefer to farm twice as much and most likely get 1 or 2 kills in the first 15-20, then be super strong with great mana regen in the mid game (20-35 minutes) and usually be far ahead of everyone else in damage in the late game because i've farmed much more, and have a much higher income.