Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Trinity force on Garen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IMSOJUICY

05-19-2011

I've been on a Garen fetish for the past few days, and I was usually going tanky dmg items like frozen mallet + atmas with a brutalizer. a friend suggested yesterday that i build TForce on Garen so his Q does massive damage. i balked initially cuz TF is a bit more expensive than mallet, and the AP + mana is wasted... but then i thought about the speed bonus, and Q doing massive damage, and i'm tempted to try....

TF on Garen or not?

Soren37

05-19-2011

Try using Leaguecraft. It has a handy champion builder tool, so you can compare how much damage you'll be doing with your Garen build with and without a TF.

http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Garen

Lizto

05-19-2011

Does leaguecraft even take stuff like that into account? Last time I checked if you put BT on the builder it wouldnt even take the extra 40 AD and 10 lifesteal into account. And other stuff like buffs, and such.
As for what the OP is asking, I loved building TF on Renekton, it was pretty good. However, the cost for only 150% of your AD in extra damage for garen doesnt sound like a good idea to me. Especially when garen doesnt benefit from much anyway. Hes already faster than most people, especially with Q. His main source of damage is als his E, which ehhh doesnt allow you to proc the sheen effect. Garens cooldowns arent that short, and we dont wanna use W for the mere purpose of proccing sheen. So he wouldnt be giving it too much use. Renekton is a champion that can proc much more efficientlyand he does actually benefit slightly from the AP TF gives (HEY, who knows, that AP while ulting might mean the difference between life and death or between a kill and an assist -laugh-)

Soren37

05-19-2011

It doesn't take things like Bloodthirster's buffs into account, but I'm sure you can use some mathcrafting to figure it out.

If you use TF and use your Q, it's just a simple matter of looking at your AD at that level before bonuses, and then add it on to the number they show you. It's not that hard.

Larson McMurphy

05-19-2011

Garens cooldowns are too long to make good use of trinity force. I'd say its a bad call.

Angelbelle

05-19-2011

Quote:
IMSOJUICY:
I've been on a Garen fetish for the past few days, and I was usually going tanky dmg items like frozen mallet + atmas with a brutalizer. a friend suggested yesterday that i build TForce on Garen so his Q does massive damage. i balked initially cuz TF is a bit more expensive than mallet, and the AP + mana is wasted... but then i thought about the speed bonus, and Q doing massive damage, and i'm tempted to try....

TF on Garen or not?

Like you said, i don't like it when theres wasted stats. I'd rather go for an IE

Ronson117

05-19-2011

Does anyone know how to compute the damage for this? Does the passive of Trinity 150% the the bonus from his Q? If trinity force is the only item garen had how much would his Q do at max level?

IMSOJUICY

05-19-2011

according to builder, he has 112 base dmg at 18. so about 170+ bonus dmg on his Q, i think? probably not worth it, although the extra movespeed and crit chance from TF helps him chase and proc his spin, i guess.

Ronson117

05-19-2011

TriForce says "base attack." Does that mean only what you have before items?

If so:
It is at least 288 damage. Like you said if TriForce only applies the 150% to base damage that is (112*1.5) is 168, then another 90 from his Q and 30 from TriForce stat bonus is 288.

If TriForce applies the 150% to his overall attack damage (112+30)*1.5 = 213 then the 90 from his Q is(213+90) = 303

If TriForce applies the 150% after his Q damage is added (112+30+90)*1.5 is 348.

Larson McMurphy

05-19-2011

Quote:
Ronson117:
TriForce says "base attack." Does that mean only what you have before items?

If so:
It is at least 288 damage. Like you said if TriForce only applies the 150% to base damage that is (112*1.5) is 168, then another 90 from his Q and 30 from TriForce stat bonus is 288.

If TriForce applies the 150% to his overall attack damage (112+30)*1.5 = 213 then the 90 from his Q is(213+90) = 303

If TriForce applies the 150% after his Q damage is added (112+30+90)*1.5 is 348.

Trinity force only adds base damage, which is the damage you have without any bonuses. So you're right that that would be an extra 168. His Q adds 1.5 times his attack damage (including bonuses) though. So that would be:

1.5 * [112 (base) + 30 (ad from trinforce)] + 90 (decisive strike) + 168 (trinity proc) = 471

You also get a little crit chance off the trinity force which this isn't taking into account. The bonus from the trinity proc can't crit. I'm pretty the rest of the damage is subject to crit though.

Anyway, that's a decent burst, but like I said before, Garen's cooldowns are too long to make very good use of trinity force. Just get ad and crit. If you need movement speed get FoN.