@Xypherous Lack of Buyable Utility

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gummibear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-20-2011

One of the things that I find other MOBAs do well that is largely left behind in LoL is the ability to purchase items that add utility to a character. Leaving these out creates a couple of problems:

1) Builds tend to stagnate. This happens in plenty of games, including widely popular ones. Eventually, as players gain more knowledge of the game and characters, a min/max system begins to develop. Take a look at WoW. Players can quantify exactly which talent builds and stats are going to provide the most DPS, and when you compare DPS vs. DPS, you'll always choose the one that maximizes it. It creates a system in which there is no variation, because certain builds are strictly better than others.

This is happening in LoL in certain areas. An obvious example would be building AD on Pantheon over AP, since AD will provide more damage, but that's just the early beginnings of min/max. We're at the point now where we know the exact build that will max DPS for a certain champ. For example, Urgot is always going to be grabbing a Manamune. Tanking, although a much more complicated decision, seems to be heading to the same route. People are starting to figure out which items minimize damage the best on which champions. The only choices left seem to be choosing between early or late game damage, and how much tank you want to build. While this still allows players to vary items, it's much more limited than the system presents at first glance.

By adding in buyable utility options for players (think Shurelya's Reverie), the options open up because the choice is no longer damage vs. damage, it's damage vs. utility (kind of like how weighing damage vs. tank is still a choice because they are completely different). While there are some options, I would like to see more with a wider variety of stats so that there are options on every champions (let's face it, too many champs won't benefit from the stats of Reverie enough to justify buying it just for the active).

Are you guys happy with the current system? Are these the choices that you feel players should be making? It's certainly not wrong by any means, but I'm curious if you would like players to open up builds in more ways or not.

2) It makes supports feel lackluster. Currently, support champs are pretty much relegated to aura items, Oracle's, and wards as their items. I think this is part of the reason why they are unpopular. These items aren't really fun for the player.

I love supports as an archetype. I also feel that Shurelya's was the best thing to happen to support champs in a long time. It gave me another way to interact with the fight and feel more useful. Unfortunately, the other items that provide utility actives (Wriggle's, Gunblade/Cutlass, and QSS come to mind) have stats that are largely wasted on supports (the MR from QSS is the best, but even then not that good of a choice in most games).

Could we see more of this type of item in the future? I'm not asking for anything on the level of Guinsoo's Scythe of Vyse, but just more options for players to be able to grab things that give more teamfight utility in the future.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IanTheDragon

05-20-2011

I would love for their to be more utility/support options