How to own early game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kezzer

05-19-2011

I've played for a while now but I cannot figure out why it is that when I join ranked games, a lot of the times players who use the same champ as me will do double my damage and take half.

For instance, if I take Xin and the opponent takes xin....I hit him and he loses about 1 / 10 of his life but then he turns and hit me and I lose 1 /4

I use mostly armor penetration runes (tier 3) and yet he still does more damage than me and yet still takes less.....how is that even possible? if he went all Armor pen then he should have low defense but yet he has both.

I often see teams of 3s in ranked or outside of ranked where all 3 players do massive damage at level 1 and I just am trying to figure out why they do so much more damage than I do. Do they goo all Attack damage runes accross the scale? Do they go HP? What are the god solid builds to survive and do massive damage at level 1?

Terrorship

05-19-2011

Click on them

-->Starting item.
--> you can see their AD, AP, mspeed, armor, magic resist, etc.

That's usually all you need to do to get a good idea of what their runes and possibly masteries are. Either way you see their AD/AP/resists and health.

Herne

05-19-2011

And while alot of it is runes and masteries, there's also team coordination, at least in pre-minion ganks in 3's, and even the possibility that, in the heat of the fight, maybe you just right-clicked the wrong spot.

I've gone toe-to-toe with another Warwick in the jungle at lvl 1, and won a fight simply because I right-clicked him first. I was attacking first, so I got the last hit before he did. Don't be discouraged.

atsmith893

05-19-2011

In your example there are a lot of what ifs...

1/10 vs 1/4 of your health... I'm sure this may be a bit of an exaggeration, BUT...

If you start out with say 500 health and he starts out with 700 health, if you hit him for 50 true damage and he hits you for 50 true damage, his hits will look like they deal more damage if you are simply looking at your hp bar.

Typically armor pen early game isn't as beneficial as AD, so maybe he has more AD than you, also did his hit crit and yours didn't? Maybe its a matter of luck.

Also were you knee deep in his minion wave and taking lots of extra damage from minions? This is usually what gets overlooked when deciding to engage in a battle of trading blows.

Finally, unless its changed in a while, when I played 3's frequently HP Qunits were a must to control the early monster rush in the middle of the map. You need hp to win that initial fight which usually decided the winner of the first few minutes of that map.

Kezzer

05-19-2011

It was one on one battle(3v3) and we both were top lane. i am confident it was not minions...we were about even in minions. their whole team behaved the same way...they all hit a lot harder than their typical class usually do to me. Im no pro by any stretch but I have played enough games vs all champs to know that this kind of damage was abnormal..basically we were the same level and he could easily afford to chase me off the minions to my tower in 2 hits having almost killed while if i did attack him i would barely dent him. oh I should mention he had purchased only boots and pot so he got no help on that front. I guess someone answered here...i was always under the impression that armor pen early game made up for a lot heavier damage but perhaps i am going about it all wrong and need to invest in AD or AP runes for the char i play.

bob000

05-19-2011

Without a screenshot of their stats we can really only guess. My guess is that he had more early game runes than armor pen.