During the laning phase, when is the best time to harass and zone your enemies?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyndikate

05-19-2011

I know how the laning phase works, somewhat. I know how to last hit, and everything. I know when and when not push whenever it's appropriate. The issue I'm having is when it's appropriate to harass and zone your enemies, and when it's a good time to play defensively.

I had an issue with Yesterday's game. I was playing Vayne and was trying to harass Heimerdinger. I almost 'zoned' him, but he had his turrets up. It took me about 2 deaths to realize that there's no point in harass.

I usually either play Ranged Carries or Support champions. And I'm curious to know the right time to harass, or play defensively. I'm usually careful not to overextend, and when the jungler's missing, I drop a ward somewhere.

Any tips?

Etherimp

05-19-2011

Basically, any time you have an advantage, you want to be aggressive and zone UNLESS you want to set up a gank. Any time you're in a lane vs people who will drop you, you want to stay closer to your towers and play more defensively. It's important to note that when you are playing aggressively and zoning, you should not get too cocky, because it's often a long way back to your tower if they decide to get ballsy and charge you. You have to take their CC into account and what level they are at. As soon as people hit 6, often times they can use it to great effect and retake the lane if you're not careful.

bob000

05-19-2011

Heimer is kinda hard to zone because of his rockets.

IkomaTanomori

05-19-2011

The best time to zone is when you have a very strong lane vs. your opponents. For example, in a recent game, my lane was Mundo and Alistar vs. Ashe and Nidalee. We were beefy, had plenty of control from alistar, and could dish out lots of damage. They could deal damage, but not much once we started out-leveling and out-farming them.

In that same game, our bottom lane of Caitlyn and Singed was getting owned by a Mordekaiser/Karma team. Probably someone from top and someone from bot should've switched up, because those two (M & K) ended up carrying their team to victory (just barely). It was a similar situation down there - between Morde's shield and Karma's shield and healing, and both having strong damage, with Karma's speed control, they just shut down the pair of squishies they were against - particularly since they were able to deny Singed any opportunities to flip someone into the turret early.

iP1ayJarvan

05-19-2011

you can play aggressively if you have some sort of sustainibility, e.g with a healer like soraka with you, you can trade blows but eventually you will have the upper hand because you're getting healed while the enemy isnt. and the zoning can start when 1 side has high hp, and the other side are both low.

Etherimp

05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkomaTanomori View Post
The best time to zone is when you have a very strong lane vs. your opponents. For example, in a recent game, my lane was Mundo and Alistar vs. Ashe and Nidalee. We were beefy, had plenty of control from alistar, and could dish out lots of damage. They could deal damage, but not much once we started out-leveling and out-farming them.

In that same game, our bottom lane of Caitlyn and Singed was getting owned by a Mordekaiser/Karma team. Probably someone from top and someone from bot should've switched up, because those two (M & K) ended up carrying their team to victory (just barely). It was a similar situation down there - between Morde's shield and Karma's shield and healing, and both having strong damage, with Karma's speed control, they just shut down the pair of squishies they were against - particularly since they were able to deny Singed any opportunities to flip someone into the turret early.

I just laned with a Karma a few games ago as Mordekaiser. That's a pretty nightmare lane for a lot of champs. Heals, shields, AOE all over the place, and some hard hitting pokes. I had 2200 gold before I went back, and I only went back because we had killed both enemies and took the tower.