Poppy armor or magic pen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

antiform3

05-19-2011

Which would be better for poppy, Armor penetration or magic penetration? I'm thinking armor because of her q attack. Thanks for the help

Smellis

05-19-2011

First off, when you're planning out builds for a champion READ the abilities. Poppy's abilities do MAGIC damage so armor pen is only going to effect your auto attacks ( and if you're playing poppy right you wont be doing that too much).

The fun thing about poppy is that you can build her around her Q in a variety of ways. AD gives her the largest boost to her Q and is why you see people often roll with 2 philo stones until they get trinity force.

AP poppy is more of an assassin, E really hurts and Q is still on par with a trin force poppy but you're really squishy, the trade off of course being that who ever you Q+E + Deathfires is dead meat.

I highly suggest that if you wanna play poppy and not get frustrated with her go with philo stone stacking then rush trin force. You'll want caster runes/masteries so you have as much free spell pen as you can get then most likely you'll want sorc boots or void staff.

Item wise you can get away with trin force/hextech revolver as your only dmg items then build the rest tanky and still MURDER people.

reyke

06-05-2011

i agree with smellis.

i dislike using philo stones though, i roll 9/0/21, with magic pen runes, and ghost and clairvoyance.

rush sheen and sorc boots and ull be a little train. all u have to do is micro ur mana...and learn how to last hit with poppy which imho is pretty easy. Farming is important, surviving early game even more !

Nemozorus

06-05-2011

I usually play AD poppy in 3v3, as ap needs much more farming. I use magic pen runes tough

Rush a sheen, then get boots of your choice. I usually pick Merc's treads or Swiftness depending of other team's CC. Get a Phage, then I like going with a bilgewater cutlass before finishing trinity, as it give me a bit of substainability ( is this even a word?) between fights. When trinity is done, I get a PD, and if I have enough money, I buy IE first.
Crits don't affect your Q, but as most of people pick tanky dps in 3's, you can't just go and OS people. Your ult coupled with E+Q and autoattacks will quickly turn the fight into a 2v3.

I hope i helped

Icarus Penna

06-05-2011

AP or AD Poppy, I still think you profit more from magic pen.

Nemozorus

06-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrallQuisam View Post
AP or AD Poppy, I still think you profit more from magic pen.
Magic Pen is definitely the way to go, as it'll boost your early game damage