[Guide]'Nother Ezreal guide, who woulda thunk it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xaerael

03-16-2010

Since I first heard about this guy I knew he'd be a character I'd be maining, simply because I love Archer types and Ashe was getting a little old.
So far I've seen 2 major builds thrown around, Ability Power and Attack Damage/Attack Speed.
Personally I'll be going into detail with Attack Damage build.

Summoner Spells:

• Flash, this is a big one, with your E Spell, you can double flash away if you get into a bind, great combo that works well with Ezreal.
  • Cleanse, this again is another great skill that works well, if I get into a bind I find myself going E>Flash>Cleanse>Run, a combo of skills that work together really well, as your Ezreal is rather squishy, this is a great choice as it gives you a fairly foolproof escape combo.
  • Exhaust, great spell that can be used offensively or defensively, this is pretty cut and dry, Slow and a Blind.
  • Ghost, being where you need to be is important, this can also double as a chase or escape skill, not to be overlooked, but Flash tends to work better.
  • Teleport, being where you need to be again, but this is only used more as an enterance skill than an exit skill.
  • Clarity, is great if you're a lower level summoner with not as many Runes at your disposal.
  • Everything, overall the above skills work best with Ezreal, feel free to use what you will however.

Runes:
  • Marks: Armor Pen
  • Seals: Mana Regen
  • Glyphs: Mana Regen
  • Quints: Armor Pen

Masteries:
  • High into the Offensive tree is recommended from me, more Armor Pen, Damage, Cooldown Reduction and all that other cool stuff, the rest I would suggest the Utility Tree, more Mana Regen, more Exp, less Flash delay, longer Lizard and Golem buffs.

Items:
  • 1 - Chalice, Magic Resist and Mana Regen, aka more skill spam and more survivability, can't say no.
  • 2 - Boots of X, I'd recommend Swift only if you're using Sword of the Occult and keeping 20 stacks for the exta movespeed, otherwise it's a multiple choice of Mercs, Zerks or Tabi. Ezreal I find to be more of a hit and run character, his speed keeps him alive and away from other champions, this normally wouldn't hold true if you had a Slow or some form of CC in your normal skills, but you do not, so speed is your saving grace, use it.
  • 3 - Sword of the Occult, great weapon for Ezreal if you're good with him, extra movespeed at 20 stacks[!] and a grand total of 110 damage if again, you keep 20 stacks.
    If you're not confident with using him, skip to The Brutalizer or B.F Sword, both give damage at less risk.
  • 4 - Glacial Shroud, 500 Mana, Cooldown Reduction and Armor, a good solid item for you since you're A) Mana Dependant, B) Somewhat Cooldown Dependant and C) Squishy.
    If you don't want to get this now, go for Bloodthirster or Black Cleaver for Item #4.
  • 5 - Black Cleaver or Bloodthirster, either works, the best way is to check your enemies items and see if they're using armor gears, if yes, go Cleaver, if no, go Thirster.
  • 6 - If you picked up The Burtalizer at Item #3 over Occult, get something that will help you survive, Banshee's Veil, Guardian Angel, Warmogs etc, if you didn't get a Brutalizer at Item #3, get that now.
  • Total Gold cost for my 6 recommended items?: 9391

Skills:
  • Passive - Raising Spell Force: I find this lackluster since Ez's power comes from his Mystic Shot and Trueshot.
  • Q - Mystic Shot: Like everyone else says, this is your bread and butter, there's not much to say about this skill, just use it to hit a lot when your Trueshot is on cooldown to make it usable faster for more kills.
  • W - Essence Flux: I, myself, find this skill leaves more than to be desired, it's ok for a quick heal on your allies if you're in a bind, but really don't rely on it. Abuse it like hell on Attack Speed Champions though if you can.
  • E - Arcane Shift: Mini-Flash, great skill for double jumping in and out of trouble, the damage is totally not worth counting on though, use it purely for movement and solo ganking.(It'll hit then! /wrist)
  • R - Trueshot Barrage: This is basically your last resort during chases where you can't catch them and they're running down a lane behind turrets, it acts like Ashes Ultimate, it's map wide, meaning you can fire it from one corner and it'll reach the other corner, line it up well and it's sure to hurt.

Other info based on lvl 18 stats(as well as Masteries):
  • Armor Pen: 50.73
  • Health Regen: 15.35 per 5.
  • Total Health: 1790.
  • Mana Regen: 10 per 5.
  • Total Mana: 1551.
  • Damage(with 20 Occult Stacks and Bloodthirster Stacks): 336.
  • Armor: 137.38
  • Magic Resist: 65
  • Lifesteal: 25%
  • Cooldown Reduction: 33%

This is basically what I've been using, I really like it so far and it's been effective at killing and running, I'm still kinda new to LoL(2-3 weeks?), so if there's any mistakes in my setups or better options from more seasoned players throw them my way.

HeyJon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2010

for your first guide it seems decent 4/5 +1. a lot of good information but i would change those quints armor pen to Health Runes or movement speed runes.

Kommander Kush

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-16-2010

I've played him a few times today with some great luck, still undefeated but had good teams also, and I feel he has to have a veil, being able to escape is what makes him a good hero.

Xaerael

03-16-2010

He runs surprisingly fast with 20 Occult Stacks and Swiftness Boots which is enough to stay away from most other Champions, unless the other team is heavily burst shot dependent and Veil would justify the cost in the easy game, get it, and if you are slower from buying Veil early and not Occult / Shoes, going with Veil + Cooldown Reduction first is a good choice because you can spam Arcane Shift much more and stay at a safe distance.
Being a good player is part mircomanaging your item selections according to the other teams Champions and applying it to your Champion.

Schn

03-16-2010

How do you deal with being 2shot by casters?

Sure you can run but with the attack build you've got you won't be able to contribute as well at long range.

Envihon

03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn View Post

Sure you can run but with the attack build you've got you won't be able to contribute as well at long range.
This is what I have been dealing with. To me Ezreal is a glass canon. I have been focusing on an AP build myself. Switch out the Armor Pen for Magic Pen and then switch the Glyphs for Cooldown Reduction so you can really spam his abilities. I have been able to really deal out the damage but the biggest problem is that I usually don't stand on my own long enough to finish them.

For items, I mainly focus on ones that give AP and Magic Regen as well as Cooldown Reduc so to keep the spam up on Q to reduce the cooldown of R with using W and E when needed to get champions or escape.

Xaerael

03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaerael
if Veil would justify the cost in the early game, get it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaerael
Being a good player is part mircomanaging your item selections according to the other teams Champions and applying it to your Champion.
^ That, generally casters get nuked first anyway and if they have lots of casters, of course you're going to get more Magic Resist then what I stated, if the game was really caster heavy, I'd go:
  • 1 - Meki > Chalice
  • 2 - Boots > Mercs
  • 3 - Sword of Occult / Bloodthirster / Burtalizer
  • 4 - Veil / Wit's End(depends on casters, slow but steady magic damage take Wits, Burst take Veil.)
  • 5 - Bloodthirster / Cleaver / Burtalizer
  • 6 - Personal choice, most games are over by now anyway. Maybe Spirit Visage?
Which casters are you thinking about though? you should be able to kite most casters, distance is Ezreals biggest advantage and his biggest weakness, you need to be good at judging speed and distance with your skillshots to master the distance game and be good with Ez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envihon
I mainly focus on ones that give AP and Magic Regen as well as Cooldown Reduc so to keep the spam up on Q to reduce the cooldown of R with using W and E when needed to get champions or escape.
Yeah, you're playing the second variation of Ezreal, this is the build I first wanted to play with, but I'm only level 17 and don't have access to the masteries and runes I want to justify this build.