Philosophers Stone

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Powerstoned

05-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWalrus View Post
Cata+Blast wand alone is 2185 gold
2xPhiloBoots is 1950 gold along with gold/10

But RoA merc neg cloak is faster (?)
Maybe Because the staying power in the lane (early game, catalyst is tops), the added ability that ...o... makes you hit a whole lot harder means more gold via minions, assists and kills. And then look at your stats and items at 20 minutes into the game. come on. I love health regen too, and am one of the few that sometimes use regen runes, but you should know philsopher stones work only if you're getting fed using basicly no damaging items, which you really shouldn't count on.

DailynIX

05-18-2011

Two PS makes for some unstoppable sustain in lane, and makes most pokes a complete waste. I could only recommend this on Janna or Soraka. They have enough utility to get by without ap early on and are better off giving their lane mates minion farm and kills. Also, they can make use of both upgrades paths. Be sure to bring def runes/masteries as regen doesn't do much good if your killed outright. I imagine tanks would have much better item paths.

Bumbah

05-19-2011

Instead of getting 2 of the same marginal item and banking on a small amount of gold, just rush your main tank item and learn to last hit.

Fluffyburrito

05-19-2011

The only time I'll consider getting two is with Alistar, as both the tenacity upgrade and reverie are amazing on him. (The tenacity item allows him to get boots of swiftness or mobility instead of mercs) Besides that, Alistar doesn't really "need" tank items to do what he is meant to do.

malphismia

05-19-2011

I rush Philostone on a lot of my champs now. Since it builds into Eleisa's miracle, it gives me other options for boots. You don't need 2 though, you wanna start building actual tank items. If you still want gold/10, build a heart of gold.

AlexT3HGR8

05-19-2011

they work best on support casters,

Try it out on jana, lux or morgana after Dorans instead

Smellis

05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingLion14 View Post
So the majority of Characters I play are tanks. Rammus, Shen, Gragas, Maoki, Nasus, Jarvin, and Alistar.

Lately, I've been rushing two Philosophers Stone along with boots to began the game, and have seen my mana troubles disappear, and have great health regen with them. Along with the gold passive of both, it's been working wonders. (except on shen, since he doesnt use mana it seems like a major waste, so he gets two heart of golds.) My two philosophers stone usually become shurelyias, and eleisa's, or get sold for more armor or magic resist.

So my main question is does anyone else have any other suggestion for an early game start that they like on their tanks?

Thanks for the help
Honestly 2 philo is just so good for tank champions that are gonna lane. It reduces the stress of scoring last hits and keeps you in that lane for a longgggg time.

I typically do it when im playing alistar and can have 2 philo/boots/sunfire/negatron by 25 mins if my lane partner is any good.

Teldin

05-19-2011

I often stack multiple philo stones on Janna or other supports and then sell them off later. Janna is usually rough on mana (especially early on), and the biggest benefit is that you don't have to last hit. You can let your terrible farmers (ie. Tryndamere, Eve) get all the minion kills while you harass the enemy and keep them healthy and safe while still getting gold (and amazing regen).

ChampionofXmas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2011

I guess the big part about my two philosophers stone is the fact that I take health quints, health reds, armor per level yellows, and MR per level blues. These allow me to stay tanky enough to make use of the regen and stay in lane.

Then with the gold and last hitting, I can usually hard by my next tank item adn finish my boots. With this build more often than not I'm going back with close to 3000 gold, adn then coming back out and being even tankier

Skumbag Owen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2011

Feel free to flag me for this but.....
I play mostly roamers in ranked and normal, it's a little over 300 gold if you buy pendant first. It's very nice to rush a philo stone as Ali. Depending on the team comp as roam Alistar I build 5 philostones and boots of mobility. It gives you amazing regen and completely frees you of having to last hit as you can roam the map setting up turret headbutt ganks. Although depending on the other team I will build HoG to upgrade eventually.
The thing about the stones most people don't understand is that they actually become profitable at 200 seconds. As long as you keep them for 200+ secs they net more gold than they cost.
If you stack g/10 items it's viable as a roamer or support only. I would hate to see them on my carry or my lane partner seeing as how I just babysit them.
Obviously this build has drawbacks I do no damage but as a tank support Ali I don't expect to do damage, I'm there to headbutt them into position and knock them up. I purposely back off to feed my carry/lane partner. With gold per second items it means that I don't need to ks for the 300 gold.

Feel free to flag me and call me a noob.