Philosophers Stone

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChampionofXmas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2011

So the majority of Characters I play are tanks. Rammus, Shen, Gragas, Maoki, Nasus, Jarvin, and Alistar.

Lately, I've been rushing two Philosophers Stone along with boots to began the game, and have seen my mana troubles disappear, and have great health regen with them. Along with the gold passive of both, it's been working wonders. (except on shen, since he doesnt use mana it seems like a major waste, so he gets two heart of golds.) My two philosophers stone usually become shurelyias, and eleisa's, or get sold for more armor or magic resist.

So my main question is does anyone else have any other suggestion for an early game start that they like on their tanks?

Thanks for the help

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingLion14 View Post
So the majority of Characters I play are tanks. Rammus, Shen, Gragas, Maoki, Nasus, Jarvin, and Alistar.

Lately, I've been rushing two Philosophers Stone along with boots to began the game, and have seen my mana troubles disappear, and have great health regen with them. Along with the gold passive of both, it's been working wonders. (except on shen, since he doesnt use mana it seems like a major waste, so he gets two heart of golds.) My two philosophers stone usually become shurelyias, and eleisa's, or get sold for more armor or magic resist.

So my main question is does anyone else have any other suggestion for an early game start that they like on their tanks?

Thanks for the help
Philosopher stone is great when you can't get anything else, however, I often find two of them is overkill, having one of them and build into a shurelyia is good though.

Powerstoned

05-18-2011

I hate seeing my tanky AP teammates do that (and it's been more and more lately).

Nearly 18-20 minutes go by and I see "Two Philosophers Stone along with boots" on my "tanky" teammates, while my tanky champ just completed an RoA, mercs and either a negatron or chainmail in the same amount of time(and i duo bot lane, so i'm not a huge farmer). They've got a big 1700hp at the same time most supports are at 2000hp, and they are "tanky".

Don't do it. Catalyst fixes your mana problems, and can actually be turned into a really useful item. If most of y/our matches last <25 minutes, take a look at your build between the 20-25 minute mark, and ask yourself "Are you effing serious?"

Bletzkarn

05-18-2011

I don't recommend 2 Philo stones unless you upgrade one to Revery really fast.

It leaves you extremely squisy with no Utility.

I'd only get one.

Sophyne

05-18-2011

So can Philo...
Reverie is a great item. 40% movespeed to your WHOLE TEAM is pretty significant, even if it is only for a few seconds.

Though, I'll admit, two is kinda silly.

TheAsianPlayboy

05-18-2011

Only get philo stones if you are 100% sure can't win exploit your opponents with aggression/harassment. Maybe their lane combo is too strong.

Otherwise you gimp your early game as you can't really do damage.

LaughingWalrus

05-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstoned View Post
I hate seeing my tanky AP teammates do that (and it's been more and more lately).

Nearly 18-20 minutes go by and I see "Two Philosophers Stone along with boots" on my "tanky" teammates, while my tanky champ just completed an RoA, mercs and either a negatron or chainmail in the same amount of time(and i duo bot lane, so i'm not a huge farmer). They've got a big 1700hp at the same time most supports are at 2000hp, and they are "tanky".

Don't do it. Catalyst fixes your mana problems, and can actually be turned into a really useful item. If most of y/our matches last <25 minutes, take a look at your build between the 20-25 minute mark, and ask yourself "Are you effing serious?"
Cata+Blast wand alone is 2185 gold
2xPhiloBoots is 1950 gold along with gold/10

But RoA merc neg cloak is faster (?)

ErgonomicAxe

05-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWalrus View Post
Cata is 1325 gold
2xPhilo is 1600 gold along with gold/10

RoA+ merc + nega faster than 2philo boots does not compute (?)
PS gives you nothing in a teamfight. Not damage, not life (I guess 20+ extra from regen), nothing. A second PS builds into nothing, meaning it's only value is in sustainability. 800g purely for increased sustainability, when you're already around level 6? You basically just do less than someone who bought a real item. A regen rune page will offer you much more if you need regen that badly.

Of course a PS pays for itself with its gold gain....27 MINUTES AFTER YOU BUY IT.

Arisulane

05-18-2011

The thing is gold/10 items are an excellent way of getting fed in the laning phase. One by 3 minutes and the second by 7 minutes means both are paid off by 18 minutes if you intend to sell them off later in the game. If you neither kill nor get killed, then you have a heavy gold advantage over your opponent.

Of course, not all champs are optimized to take advantage of this. Naturally tanky champs like Amumu, Shen, and Alistar make the best use of gold/10 items while characters like Veigar and Leblanc would do better if they upped their early game ability to gank.

Xvilock

05-18-2011

Its actually a lot less considering you could sell it back to "break even" say at 400g (dont have the numbers in front of me) at about 13 minutes. Anything over 13 minutes is profit. Albeit marginal profit.