Akali Help - Click Timing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daalm

05-18-2011

So I really like Akali and have had some success with her, but I don't play her unless my team really needs an ap champ, mostly because I know I'm doing something wrong and not putting out as much damage as I know she's capable of.

So here's where I need advice. I know that she's huge burst damage, but I find that I'm just not activating her burst as often as I feel I should. What I usually will try do is to drop her Q on someone, wait a sec, then R in, auto attack (to active the Q extra damage), then hit Q again and try to get in another auto attack for the full burst. I'll follow up with either an Crescent Slash or Twilight Shroud, depending on the situation.

What seems to happen at some point in there is her auto attack gets interrupted and I don't set off her Q or Sheen/Lichbane extra damage and leave people with way more health than they should have.

So, does one of her abilities interrupt auto attacks? Or should I be right clicking my target to start moving (and engage auto attack) and then hit abilities so that after my abilities execute, I still continue to auto attack (and thus apply my supposed-to-be-huge burst). Or do I just need to spam right clicking after every ability I use to keep up the auto attacks?

Thanks!

3lmi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2011

OMG I also have the same problem, I usually have to R up again to get one auto attack with ~400 MS ...

Mejakallu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daalm View Post
I'll follow up with either an Crescent Slash or Twilight Shroud, depending on the situation. Never use crescent slash when attacking a target unless it will guarantee the kill and your Q/R are on CD

So, does one of her abilities interrupt auto attacks? Or should I be right clicking my target to start moving (and engage auto attack) and then hit abilities so that after my abilities execute, I still continue to auto attack (and thus apply my supposed-to-be-huge burst). Or do I just need to spam right clicking after every ability I use to keep up the auto attacks? Do this as it's the best way to ensure you proc your marks/lichbane/etc

Thanks!
Highlighted in bold.

Crescent slashing is a very energy costly ability and should be used stringently and with great care. Your ability to continue spamming Qs and still have your shroud on standby is vital and the 60 energy CS uses is not worth the single burst of damage that it offers.

Frantic Fey

05-19-2011

It definitely can be difficult, but after applying Q, most autoattacks *should* apply her Q proc. The two instances I've found where it doesn't apply is when the opponent dodges and when you autoattack too early. Dodging actually prevents the Q proc, and in some cases that I've experienced, removed the debuff, which really pisses me off, considering other moves that apply something to an autoattack have been corrected to be undodgable (Trundle and Poppy's Q for example.) You said that you wait before autoattacking, so it's probably not this, but it does take half a second for the debuff to apply (although not always I've found), and that sometimes using R immediately after will bring you to them too fast.

Also, even with high MS, it can be difficult to autoattack after her R if you don't have some sort of slow on them, either with Rylai's or from a teammate. Rylai's really helps in this respect, as it ensures that you get that autoattack in, unless it's a Ghosting/Highlandering Yi, or something. Without that Rylai's slow, a lot of champions who are already moving can avoid your autoattack.

TsurugiHikari

05-19-2011

It seems we have very helpful advice given to people about Akali play styles and methods to ensure a strong burst. Honestly, the problem with Akali is timing and knowing when you can finish them and when you're not going to be able to finish them.

As the above poster said about Mark of Assassin and activating the mark is right on. You have to make sure it actually marks them or you're wasting one auto attack that won't even activate the mark. Don't use crescent slash as your burst combo to kill your target. The moment you run out of energy and you need a escape. You just put yourself in a bad position unless you know how to juke in the most extreme situation.

Finally, timing your Mark of Assassin and activating them in a rapid session will ensure a new death experience for most champions that is not a tank. That's all I'm going to say for now.

Daalm

05-19-2011

Thanks guys, that's really helpful - I'm thinking it's actually a MS issue, as what you described seems to be exactly what's happening. I'm willing to bet they're out of range before I can land my autoattack. I guess I'm goign to have to dig up Akali farming/last hitting guides so I can get Rylai's asap after my Sheen. My last few games (I'm now level 28 and used to have far more success lvls 10-20 with her) against more experienced players have been ultimately frustrating because as a melee character, I'm stymied early game by longer ranged characters and last hitting with Q doesn't net me nearly enough gold.

What about in teamfights? Do I just pick someone I know I can click on? There's been so many times where I want to kill the squishy, but end up hitting a tanky type because they're larger on my screen. Or do I wait until things have cooled down or a straggler to start running away, like I might with Vayne? I feel like sitting back, I'm just being useless, but if I'm not clicking the right target, I'm also being useless, wasting energy and exposing myself to a team full of angry people who are hungry for my sexy ninja blood.

ComradeHX

05-19-2011

^Use W to zone enemies; place it on the minino wave so the enemy cannot get close without recieving Q + proc in the face, then last-hit.