Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Making my own builds and figuring out viability of items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lasci

03-16-2010

So, I have a bit of a history with DotA and after several insisting friends decided to get me into LoL, I very recently started to play that. The trouble is that I'm having issues adapting to the new selection of items and developing builds. I've been playing DotA for longer than I could possibly remember, so it's not particularly difficult to stay up to date with different fluctuations in builds and identifying the worth of certain items in certain situations was always easy. Now that I'm playing LoL, I feel entirely overwhelmed. I've done very well so far (at least in my opinion), but I haven't really done much else but use bread-and-butter builds that other people have come up with. So, what's the best way to learn the ropes of the items and start to make the foundation of builds?

It probably seems like a silly, nonsensical question, but I'm a tad overwhelmed.

roninsm

03-16-2010

There isn't really much variety. In dota there is a point to varying builds and strategies depending on the game, but to be honest, you're better off just following cookie cutter builds in LoL. No 5 man dagon or 5 man necro-book teams.

AutoSponge

03-16-2010

Quote:
roninsm:
There isn't really much variety. In dota there is a point to varying builds and strategies depending on the game, but to be honest, you're better off just following cookie cutter builds in LoL. No 5 man dagon or 5 man necro-book teams.

That's not true. People play "non-standard" builds all the time and can be very successful. Much of the strategy at high levels of play is doing something the other team doesn't expect, catching them off guard, and getting the kill/win. The only way to do that is to be flexible and open-minded. Anyone who builds the same character the same way all the time will eventually get countered at higher levels of play and cease to be a factor.

Morzas

03-16-2010

I'm working on a guide that'll try to help people do this sort of thing. It's gonna take me a while to write it, but you can take a gander at it right now if you want: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Aa2rHOioDYNcZGhndmI2NjRfMzlmcGQ5azlmeA&hl=en

It's not even close to done yet. I plan on going over every relevant item and explaining what that item's purpose is.

nicosharp

03-16-2010

hmm, i transitioned from Dota just fine.. It just takes a little time and to find a champion you enjoy, you can devise your own item builds and understanding as you play. I found the items in this game to be far easier to pick-up learn then dota, as they are branched into specific categories, and can be merged together to form better items quite easily. (although that function still needs a bit of work, to accurately capture all the recipes for said base item)

oh and hi Morzas.. stop queuing into games with me as I am tired of carrying you with Gragas.

LaloHao

03-16-2010

Probably checking your champion database(for hp/mp/as/etc ratio), then you'll see what build could work with the camp, also depending on your enemy team you'll probably use different items. You can do builds in this website and check the stats for each champion:
http://leaguecraft.com/champions (http://leaguecraft.com/champions)

roninsm

03-16-2010

Quote:
AutoSponge:
That's not true. People play "non-standard" builds all the time and can be very successful. Much of the strategy at high levels of play is doing something the other team doesn't expect, catching them off guard, and getting the kill/win. The only way to do that is to be flexible and open-minded. Anyone who builds the same character the same way all the time will eventually get countered at higher levels of play and cease to be a factor.

The builds themselves may vary slightly from game to game, but not in any significant way. The decision of whether to get a bloodthirster or an Inf Edge on your ranged carry isn't really that big of a difference. Every tank gets aegis. Just about every caster gets mejais. And regardless of what route you take with your items, you always form a 5 man gank squad around lvl7-8 and go roaming.

My point when I mentioned the 5 man dagon/necro-book teams is that whereas in dota the are unorthodox strategies that can work if you excecute it properly and outpick the other team, in LoL there is no viable alternative to the 5 man gank squad in semi competitive or competitive play.

PatMcGroyne

03-16-2010

Read a lot of guides look at the theory of the champion's then check out the viability of the theory and adjust your build to the way you need it...

For example I play nidalee and I'm pretty sure I have read every guide on the forums on here and league craft and then I tried them all found which ones I like best and then I modified them slightly to my play style and there you go... I just made my own Alistar build and I had a lot of success with it after failing a few times.

Morzas

03-16-2010

Quote:
nicosharp:
oh and hi Morzas.. stop queuing into games with me as I am tired of carrying you with Gragas.

I love you too

TechYS

03-16-2010

Quote:
roninsm:
The builds themselves may vary slightly from game to game, but not in any significant way. The decision of whether to get a bloodthirster or an Inf Edge on your ranged carry isn't really that big of a difference. Every tank gets aegis. Just about every caster gets mejais. And regardless of what route you take with your items, you always form a 5 man gank squad around lvl7-8 and go roaming.

My point when I mentioned the 5 man dagon/necro-book teams is that whereas in dota the are unorthodox strategies that can work if you excecute it properly and outpick the other team, in LoL there is no viable alternative to the 5 man gank squad in semi competitive or competitive play.

Here's two things I want to point out that might be a flaw in your argument:

1. There's not always 5 people on your team, when you get a leaver, now its 4 people. And that usually is when you try some crazy stuff.

2. Not everyone is high tier and play this game as competitive play. What about those who play for fun? They're part of LoL too, aren't they?

A couple of days ago I had this game. We have a Teemo, Malphite, Ryze, Udyr, and me as Chogath. Udyr decided to quit early. Ryze pretty much fed the other team with 6 kills and 24 deaths. He sometimes go afk at the summon circle too. Well, our Malphite decided to go 1 thornmail, 1 boot, and 4 sunfires. He later ditched the boot and got another sunfire. He literally raped the other team who had Jax, Morgana, Twitch, Ashe, and Teemo. 38 kills for him.

We were originally behind, but then pushed back once Malphite got most of his items. We pretty much did all we could so that our Teemo could backdoor their base (which I had to yell at him a few times to get his priorities straight, why was he attacking that creep and not that tower...). We eventually won, and by that time our Malphite also decided to sell all his items and get 6 Warmogs lol, in the case that the game didn't end (it did, though).

What I'm trying to say is, yes you can pull off some crazy item build that no one suspects. Any guide told you to build Malphite with 5 sunfire capes? I checked, and the answer was no. Yeah, here comes this giant rock with a ton of HP that hurts you for 200 dmg/sec just by standing beside you? Not to mention your lifesteal item don't work too well on him (thornmail) and he still has his ult that hits like a truck? Probably don't see it in most games, but its out there, and it works in desperate situations.