The Curious Case of Malphite

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IIChopstixII

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2011

I too am a big Malphite fan and love playing him immensely.

Honestly tho I have rarely had games last long enough to get to my 5/6th item.

Usually building Doran's ring (hp/ap and importantly the mana regen to harass with)
Boots > aegis > merc boots are the base early game items.

If they are hitting hard and have adv with AP champs I go for banshees early then sunfire.

If my team is hitting hard and have adv then sunfire then force of nature.

Unfortunately though the initiation is vital for Malphite success, sometimes it's better to save the ultimate in fights so that you can dive their squishies or protect your own.
Hence why I usually take exhaust and ignite with my games.

Exhaust because they will ignore you and go for your carries, so Q and exhaust the targets that are posing the biggest threat to your boys.
Ignite to burn down targets or snatch some early kills.

As mentioned earlier games are usually done before a full build but I do see frozen heart, atma's, abyssal scepter being valid items for him late game. I recommend testing in practice games to find out which suits best.

Good luck!

Lumaca

05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap81 View Post
Sorc Shoes + Abysal Scepter + Sunfire Cape + Hourglass

You now tank, and burst very well into late game. Throw in Mpen Marks and ignite, and you can burst almost anyone who doesn't invest in MR into oblivion, even those who have natural scaling up to 50 or so.

Try it...no really, just try it.

Stay Rock Solid,

-gap81
The downside to this build is that you have 2,3k health, 175 armor, and 109 MR... Malph's base stats are truly sad... Only 1,9k Base health at lvl 18. Still will give it a try though.

Bumbah

05-19-2011

His passive gets nerfed, buffed, nerfed, buffed. Just change it please.

Eddiot

05-19-2011

dude your missing Rylai's an awesome item on many tanks, useful passive(more so in combo with malph's shard) AP and Health.

Lumaca

05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiot View Post
dude your missing Rylai's an awesome item on many tanks, useful passive(more so in combo with malph's shard) AP and Health.
1. He has 0,6 ratio on his Q and 1 on his Ultimate, getting Rylai's doesn't seem worth it.
2. The passive only triggers on his E (ONE skill!).
3. I'd rather get RoA if I were looking for an AP item.

Monkeedude

05-19-2011

I think Malphite is fine in his current role but most people are misunderstanding what that roll is. He's not a tank, if you want to be a tank that plays like Malphite, just go Alistar. What Malphite does is initiate to allow your tanks better play their role. When Malphite ults in, he will have stunned the front person, usually the opposing teams Tank. Your tank should be very close behind. This allows your Alistar/Amumu/whoever to get into position without wasting one of their CC abilities. The opposing teams ranged DPS will be close because they'll think they need to focus Malphite. At this point Alistar can flash in and Q the entire ranged DPS line, then headbutt the squishiest one back into your team, where they and Malphite finish them off. This is the point where Malphite should use his Q, to keep the ranged DPS close and near to Alistar so he can continue to control them.

I think he's meant to be an off-tank support champ. His DPS is moderately low but that's because his abilities are meant to control the crowd.

M4nTiCoR3

05-19-2011

Quote:
The downside to this build is that you have 2,3k health, 175 armor, and 109 MR... Malph's base stats are truly sad... Only 1,9k Base health at lvl 18. Still will give it a try though.
The thing is, i take defensive masteries (AR/MR/HP), AR seals, MR/lvl glyphs, Mpen Marks, and HP Quints when i play Malph, as well as clarity for mana, and ignite for burst. This gives me more well rounded stats and higher base HPs to boot.

This puts his MR closer to 140, his AR closer to 200, his HP closer to 2.5k, and gives him substantial burst damage all for 9,6660 gold.

Your item build of "Aegis, Mercs, Sunfire, Randuin, Banshee & GA" costs 13,825 gold, offers very little advantge in survivability over my build, ecspeically if you tack on an Aegis to mine late, or any other item on your list for that matter....and mine still comes out cheaper in most cases. Not only that, but my burst damage is much higher than yours at all stages of the game.

You do lose the utility of the Omen (unless you take it as a late item), but gain the invulnerble of the hourglass. A fair trade if your fiding yourself dying to burst after you initiate late. That being said, this build still lacks late game burst needed to own all but the squishiest champs late, but you are able to flex that last item or two to get more out of it if you want, like going with Trinity Force or Lichbane instead of a more defeinsvie item for instance.

All in all, it works well for me most games, and is an excellent way to go for intruppting an AoE dps channeler like Kat, MF, or Twitch.

Nerkel

05-19-2011

I agree with the thought that Malphite is an off tank. I just picked him up so I'm trying out different things. I'm considering the following:

Quote:
Starting with a Doran's Ring. His Q is a great ability and using it to poke and run away helps. Mana regen covers that, it adds a small amount of damage (Only really noticable early game I imagine.)
Work through a Sheen/Phage , building a Triforce. I feel that he benefits greatly from almost all aspects of a Trinity Force.
Next item, the Sunfire cape, or should I call it Fun-Fire Cape? Armor and health to help scale with his Passive and his E. No reason why not.

After that, it's a grab bag of anything. Most people don't like the idea of Hexdrinker ,but I think it can be a great item against a heavy nuking mage if you can get it early enough.
It's just my ramblings so far, I'm going to keep trying out different builds and such.

Terrorship

05-19-2011

I feel the same way. But then often on non-carries that's the case...malphite especially so.

Some real reasons for malphite though I'm thinking are:

1. debuff is tremendous, but hard to "see" as a malph player, and not effective against people who don't depend on attack speed. Get Frozen heart and you compound that issue. Very situational.

2. And he's mostly AOE damage, which means you don't have the visceral single target burst. One of his passives is basically like Tiamat. Neat, but underwhelming in practice.

AOE + synergizes w/ Armor, and counters auto-attack, might want some AP <- those are some built-in limitations if he's picked in a random team.

Ability opponents in general make at least 2 of malphites contributions almost irreleavnt (AS debuff and armor synergy), and he's left with a little AD/AOE tiamat and a nifty but nowhere near compensating, ultimate.

WithoutSkill

05-20-2011

With the scaling nerfs, if you want dmg as Malph go AD.

No, dont buy AD item, buy phantom dancers and press W.

When i want to off tank dps malph :

Dorans shield
Omen
Banshees
Phantom

But now that omen armor been nerfed, might as well go sunfire, not sure. But well, you ll notice the dmg boost, specially if u pcik armor pen runes.