The Curious Case of Malphite

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lumaca

05-18-2011

I used to be an avid Malphite player, he used to be my go to champ whenever I was in a rut and needed a win. However, after many games with him, I have come to realize that his endgame is a bit lacking. Nowadays I have a friend who plays him most of the time, and I begin to see Malph's game from a 3rd person perspective as well.

Between lvl 6-11, he absolutely wrecks any squishy in sight. If you don't have 4 digits health, he'll murder you. However, itemizing to increase his damage output is slightly hard, since his 4 skills have different scaling.

2 scale on AP
1 scales on AD
1 scales on armor
Passive scales on health

Sure, damage might not be the most important aspect of Malph's kit, but often I feel useless in a teamfight. Usually I use my REQW combo, perhaps activate Randuin's, and then basically feel like a cheerleader.

My ideal build for him includes Aegis, Mercs, Sunfire, Randuin, Banshee & GA. That build adds roughly 150 extra dmg on my E making it deal 370 dmg before MR. I feel that skipping some the tank items for AP makes him fragile (and to be frank, his ratios are not that impressive either).

So what I want to ask is how everyone else builds their Malphite to affect later teamfights better. Mummy has his cry (based on max health), Rammus protects his ally with his taunt and does AoE dmg, Shen shields and taunts to protect his allies, but Malphite just gets ignored after his initial combo. He's very reminiscent of Galio, I think.

The False Prophet

05-18-2011

GA is a bad tank item as once you're dead once, you're most likely going to die again very quickly with minimal damage output.

Good point otherwise.

xzymethx

05-18-2011

why play malzhar when u can play alistar who can spam malphites ulti every 10 sec which even stuns longer?

Scila

05-18-2011

try to get an abyssal scepter for lategame even if ur skills scale of differet things theyre all magic and get help from its passive.and it works with sunfire wich is great so just try it it doesnt work wonders u cant carry with a tank but it helps u doing smth and feeling les useless

Lumaca

05-18-2011

I almost never get GA, it's just there as a placeholder, I almost never get that far. I've gotten everything from Atma's to Rilay's on the last slot.

Quote:
why play malzhar when u can play alistar who can spam malphites ulti every 10 sec which even stuns longer?
Malzahar has nothing to do with this!

Also, I play champs that I like. I want to know how to optimize them.

Scepter is interesting though, gives a lot of utility to the team and adds tankiness. Can it replace Banshee's though? I feel that in games against some spammers like Teemo whose shrooms will just pop your Banshee, it might be even better.

Coltane

05-18-2011

When it comes to MR I usually go Force of Nature on Malphite, hard to pass up.

As for damage...if the team doesn't require me to be all out tank then I'll do the following
- Cloth armor + Health pots
- Boots
- Madreds Razor
- Phage
- Merc Treads
- Trinity Force

Then build tanky as necessary. Trinity gives a small boost to all stats but the 150% damage boost helps a ton, especially with the extra damage from Razor. Late game I'll upgrade the Razor into a Bloodrazor, just cause I can.

Hqwxuz

05-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzymethx View Post
I think its for the dmg and because they want to fill a different role on the team. Malphite is more of a tank-initiator role while Malzahar is a caster.

BelialX

05-18-2011

They really did a pretty poor job of designing malph TBH. And as they've released more and more "tanky dps" characters, he's just getting worse.

Look at Irelia, at level 18 she has more base Health/Armor/DPS than malph.

Jarvan has more health, slightly less armor/DPS, until you include his passive which makes his DPS substantially higher.

They both also scale MUCH better than malph.

It's a shame because he's one of my favorite heroes too.

M4nTiCoR3

05-18-2011

Sorc Shoes + Abysal Scepter + Sunfire Cape + Hourglass

You now tank, and burst very well into late game. Throw in Mpen Marks and ignite, and you can burst almost anyone who doesn't invest in MR into oblivion, even those who have natural scaling up to 50 or so.

Try it...no really, just try it.

Stay Rock Solid,

-gap81

Powerstoned

05-18-2011

When you get to go "all" armor, i.e. 200+ before your mr hits 120, then malphite is fun. AP malphite just isn't the same.

I'm all for a rework that doesn't essentially force to choose to gimp 1 power or 2.