What items to get for Taric?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoldVicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2010

Don't see hardly any Taric threads on the forums here and it seems like every guide I do manage to find has completely different item builds.

I've been going with Zerk boots > Stark's > Nashor's > then Malady or something defensive depending

This has worked reasonably well for me but I have no clue if it will hold up as my ELO continues to rise (I know its not that high atm). Any other Taric players care to put their thoughts down on how they build their items and why?

Also feel free to rip my build apart.
Cheers

Toros

03-16-2010

I play a lot of taric, and a build i've found pretty useful is

start with meki's and 2 hp pots

then chalice and boots (merc treads if the other team has a lot of cc or casters)

ageis

then spirit visage.

The point of all of it is it gives taric pretty significant magic resist and armor, and also improves his heals a ton. I can tank turrets under fire after i get spirit visage.

as far as skills, i start with his stun, then imbue/shatter depending on how much damage i'm taking, then max shatter, imbue, leaving his stun until the end.

My elo isn't high, i'm somewhere in the middle, but i'm really tough to kill, and i can support well too.

Bodknocks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-16-2010

I love playing Taric because there are so many different ways you can build him. With Masteries, specing him for Offensive, Defensive, and Utility are ALL completely valid. It just depends on how you play him -- Straight tank goes defensive, attack speed goes offensive, support or a hybrid build goes utility.

However, I usually spec him for utility and build a support/hyrbrid Taric like this:

- Ruby or Sapphire (don't take pots)
- Rush Catalyst
- Boots of Speed
- Mercury Treads, OR zerk greaves if the team doesn't have a lot of magic damage and CC
- Build RoA or get a Mana Manipulator first if you are running out of mana
- Build Spirit Visage, or grab a Mana Manipulator
- Build Soulshroud

After Soulshroud you have a lot of options. Against a good mix of physical and magical attackers, grab Aegis and/or Guardian Angel. Against a phsycial carry team, grab Frozen Heart or possibly Thornmail. Against an AP heavy team, grab Bashee's Veil or possibly Force of Nature. If you're the team carry and nobody else has gotten it, grab Stark's Fervor at some point. Here, you must choose your next path.

You could race up to the Observatory, spin the sundial, and pass into the Room of the Golden Idols. Push down on their bases to release the doors which may take you below, or, lead you into the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. Assemble the statue there and you may be headed for the Torch Room. If the elevator is up, you could jump into the elevator and descend into the Mine Shaft. You might climb up the ladder, or, plow through the stone wall, find the key, and you may unlock the Tombs of Ancient Kings allowing you to climb into the Spider's Lair. If you escape, you may have a chance to sit upon the Throne of the Pretender. If the correct door is unlocked you could crawl through the Pit of Despair and finally, make your way through the Cave of Size back to the Temple Gates.

The choices are yours and yours alone. Good luck!

Fighthesky

03-16-2010

I play A LOT of Taric, and while I have toyed with tank-ish support builds and phys DPS builds, I have always had the most fun and the best results when I use an AP/nuke build. I end up fairly durable, and able to take out 80% of just about any hero's health in one combo.

I generally run with flash/tele. Flash because it allows me to initiate OR escape well, and Tele because the build is very item reliant and if you are going to need to buy as soon as you have the cash.

If I don't pick up tele I replace it with ignite which further allows me to pull off easy gibs.

I with +health quints, and +health at 18 reds/yellows, and magic resistance blues.

I start with Saph. Crystal and 2x health pots.
Saph > Sheen (1st back)

Pick up boots 2 (generally merc treads if there is any form of CC on the opposing team), Soulstealer. (2nd back)

Rod of ages. (3rd back) In all honesty is doesn't bother me that I pick up rod mid-late game. It has a solid amount of stats on it and will cap of if the game goes anywhere beyond 35-40 mins which is pretty common as of late.

Then either Rylai's, Void Staff, or Deathfire depending on whether more damage or more survivability is needed. (4th back)

I build a Lich Bane if the game goes 35+ minutes or so.

This build allows me to single rank Imbune because of it's 1:1 spell power scaling, allows me to rake in kills all game long, pull out INCREDIBLE burst damage, and farm very efficiently. Dropping a shatter that hits for 1/3 of a champ's health and 1 shots an entire wave on minions is pretty win.

Rank 5 Shatter and point blank Dazzle (easily done with flash) will hit for about 1k. Put sheen proc'd hits that are amplified by your ult in between and you are looking at a dead carry.

This build is definitely not for everyone and I play a very aggressive Taric, so it may not suit your play style at all.

But it's always fun to look at new ideas!

CarbunkleFlux

03-16-2010

My favorite Taric build, constantly being reworked:

Ninja Tabi (vs Phys) / Merc Treads (vs CC)
Lich Bane (AP boost and the procs help him push towers)
Spirit Visage (boost his healing and magic resist)
Guardian Angel (all around survivability)
Soul Shroud (hp and cooldown aura)
Rylai's Crystal Scepter (only if the match lasts this long; added HP/AP and makes his shatter into an AoE snare)

Kind of an AP tankish sort of thing. Has an aura that benefits both him and the team equally and a little more than just a walking rally stick.

I start with Rejuvenation Bead, Faerie Charm and 1 Pot. Taric's heal makes him stay in the lane for quite a while.

As soon as I can, I build my boots.

From there, I build Mana Manipulator and Spirit Visage. Then I start work on my Lich Bane.

After the bane is finished, I finish either Guardian Angel or Soul Shroud. Whichever I think I need more sooner. Games rarely last long enough for me to get past this point.

OmniOblivion

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarchy View Post
Don't see hardly any Taric threads on the forums here and it seems like every guide I do manage to find has completely different item builds.

I've been going with Zerk boots > Stark's > Nashor's > then Malady or something defensive depending

This has worked reasonably well for me but I have no clue if it will hold up as my ELO continues to rise (I know its not that high atm). Any other Taric players care to put their thoughts down on how they build their items and why?

Also feel free to rip my build apart.
Cheers
The recommended build is pretty solid for Aura Tarics. My Taric is kinda all-around (more tanky most of the time).

I learned (the hard way...) Mana Manipulator will help out a LOT with laning, especially with an ally that is mana-hungry. This is the first item I would (usually) get.

Otherwise, I like to get Spirit Visage to heal myself better, since Imbue can heal both you and an ally. It's also good for reducing damage against casters (MR and HP regen).

Get a nice set of Boots (the Boots you get should be entirely on the team build). I usually get Treads (since nearly all of my games w/ Taric involved CCs.), but again, it's entirely up to the team build.

After that, I would get either Soul Shroud if you are doing well, or Aegis if the team is struggling. I recommend getting both if possible.

Now that you have your defenses up, I get started on offensive. There are arguments as to whether Taric plays better as a DPS or AP Taric. I really see no better side. You can be flexable with this. But I've had more success with DPS than AP.

Given, AP can make his Dazzle extremely powerful at lvl 5, but you have to be VERY close in order to deal a lot of damage (it's tough, for me at least, to get up close and deal damage with Dazzle). I use Dazzle as an opener than a closer.

Nashor's Blade is nice on Taric since it gives him Atk Spd and AP. This is good for both AP and DPS Tarics.

I am thinking about Guinness in the mix for Taric, but never tested it (won or lost before i got the chance). Maybe add this into the mix?

Ragias

03-17-2010

I like going a hybrid attack speed Taric with Nashors, Greeves, Guinsoo, Starks. From there you can finish it up with a tankier Item like Banshees or dps with something like Black Cleaver.

CarbunkleFlux

03-17-2010

Quote:
I learned (the hard way...) Mana Manipulator will help out a LOT with laning, especially with an ally that is mana-hungry. This is the first item I would (usually) get.
I was getting Mana Manip first for a while, but against an aggressive group that one potion can really help matters til Imbue is ~level 2 when it can really start making Taric's presence in the lane matter. The rejuv bead gets me started on my Visage and Fairie Charm is enough Mana Regen to sate me until my first time I -really- have to go back.

It's a matter of preference, though. I love the Mana Manipulator and think it needs to be bought early on if at all either way.

OmniOblivion

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbunkleFlux View Post
I was getting Mana Manip first for a while, but against an aggressive group that one potion can really help matters til Imbue is ~level 2 when it can really start making Taric's presence in the lane matter. The rejuv bead gets me started on my Visage and Fairie Charm is enough Mana Regen to sate me until my first time I -really- have to go back.

It's a matter of preference, though. I love the Mana Manipulator and think it needs to be bought early on if at all either way.
Yeah, I loved that item as my first item. But there are exceptions. I'm just speaking in general. I usually start with either Mana Manipulator or Spirit Visage.

MeanBean

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toros View Post
I play a lot of taric, and a build i've found pretty useful is

start with meki's and 2 hp pots

then chalice and boots (merc treads if the other team has a lot of cc or casters)

ageis

then spirit visage.

The point of all of it is it gives taric pretty significant magic resist and armor, and also improves his heals a ton. I can tank turrets under fire after i get spirit visage.

as far as skills, i start with his stun, then imbue/shatter depending on how much damage i'm taking, then max shatter, imbue, leaving his stun until the end.

My elo isn't high, i'm somewhere in the middle, but i'm really tough to kill, and i can support well too.
Identical to my build, I approve. But I only get spirit visage if Im required to be the one who walks first into the bushes.