Need help w/ playing Kass from a good, regular Kass player.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iateurcookie

05-17-2011

So I tried him for the first time and....our team lost a beginner's level bot match....THE SHAMEEEE....I got killed like 2 times up front by Nunu / Cho'Gath, an embarassment I shall never live down considering i regularly solo-lane against those two with every other character I've tried without issue. I tried looking at the guides, but they're too wordy and outdated (saying his E only requires 4 spells used in your area to cast, for example) and I have no idea what the build really is from the title, and whether they're still even relevant or up to date.

So what are the best items to get for him, in which order? I know you can build him a few different ways, but with how he currently stands as a character in the current patch, what do you recommend?

First skills to level? I read W isn't worth it for the mana gains most of the time. Still true? Worth it anyway for the armor pen, or is that mainly for late game?

General strategies? Is he a poker (like Nidalee late game, for example) or do you try to commit to attacks? How do you prefer to use abilities.

Is he more of a support character (go in second after the tank, etc) or is he good solo?

vcool

05-17-2011

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=97

One of the best guides for playing Kass.

As for the actual build, if you are doing great, get Mejais instead of RoA and make the catalyst into veil.

If you're not doing so great, RoA is a decent item.

Kass needs to be ahead of the curve. That's when he dominates. On equal levels, if you're not fed you're ok to mediocre. Finally, if you're behind, build tankier and expect to be more support/disabler (silence and slow) and a finisher.

Scyrner

05-17-2011

This is how I role with Kass.

I play Kassadin as an AP Assassin/Nuke. My Rune book is generally Mpen Reds and AP everything Else. I go 9/21/0 or 0/21/9 depending on if im laning with an mana user or not. If I am i go with the latter picking up Mana and Health regen, Mana regen, and Clarity Mastery. If I am not with a Mana char 9/21/0 with AP, Cooldowns, and Spell pen in offense

My build is as follows:
Sapphire Crystal 1health+1 mana pot.
Catalyst
Sorcs Shoes/mercury's treads
RoA
Rylais/Archangels (if you taking lots of dmg Rylais if no Archangels.)
Deathcap
Banshees
Other Random AP item, I like Void Staff

Summoner skills:
Flash and Clarity. Swap Flash for Ghost if you really wanna.

R>Q>E>W

I get a point in W at 4 just cause the minor mana gain is a little bit helpful. Also you can use it to charge your E b/c it does not cost very much mana.

Early on I stick to the brush and try to harass with Q. When i get E up i will Q walk forward E walk away. Late game I will walk forward a bit (in a team fight) Q back up, wait for a low health char R,Q,E,R
Alternatively, if you are really fed you can just hover near the edge with Q and E. I enter generally 3rd or 4th on the team, after Tank, Initiator and then with or right after the Carry. I prefer to lane with another person for early game harass but he is quite capable as a solo. Then again, there are some lanes that Kass hates, generally involving AD carries that outrange him/have a blink. That is because they can hit you back before you get to 6 when you learn your ult.

Tips:
Q is SLOW, RILLY SLOW. You can harass at tower by Q, walk away.
Always use the bush if you aren't last hitting (which you should) It makes it easier to suprise the foe
If you can be sure to wait until your Riftwalk has lost its stack before you use it again otherwise you will run oom really fast.
Boots of lucidity are nice if you are vs a team that has little CC and not very much mr.

Powerstoned

05-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyrner View Post
This is how I role with Kass.

do you mean "roll"

Force of Nurture

05-17-2011

No, he roleplays

Chingmeister

05-18-2011

This build works on almost everyone in every role:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=753929

Scyrner

05-18-2011

i do role play as Kass SILENCE

dovvntempo

05-18-2011

the solomid guide posted is great. Pay particular attention to the venn diagram - like circles at the bottom of the guide. It highlights how important positioning is with Kassadin.

W is practically useless. If you're going for an early tear of the goddess it can be useful to build up your mana in your lane, but meh you should be rushing catalyst anyway. Max Q, it's a reliable poke.

I've played both him and nidalee and can say there are some similarities. They both have burst, have an oh **** button ( well actually Nid has two ) and do really well in brush. Late game with Kass will depend on how fed you are. If you did well you are an intimidating carry that can snuff someone that gets too close, but if you are less fed you will have to just work with people more.

he's similar to akali and nid, but with a slower early game. Also, just try as hard as you can to farm with kassadin early. Kass shines mid game as the blinking WTF OOGA BOOGA I **** on you assassin and if you haven't farmed up those key items it's not gonna go too well.

In team fights, your burst designates you as the carry killer. Rift in, nuke, rift / walk out. Just do it safely.

oh and one thing that Scyrner pointed out that's key is to not stack riftwalks. Say you're running from yi and you spam riftwalks. You're out of mana and can't do **** as he alpha's in and kills you. However if you rift, continue walking, rift when the stack is off, THEN you have more options. Like... getting into brush and juke rifting in a different direction. Or silencing him so he can't cast alpha strike, then rifting out safely. Or simply just rifting over a wall safely. There's a lot that goes into playing kass well but it's very rewarding.

eskillmo

Recruiter

05-19-2011

Tear
Boots
Mejais
Leviathan
Sorc Boots
Archangels
Lichbane
Rabadons

For everything else watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Rk-LvrsVU
Kass has a very high skill cap, but when played properly, should rarely die.
This is why "snowball" items are perfect for him.
Obviously if you are dying a lot do not use this build but it for top tier solo queuing basically.
And honestly if there is one character to not get flash on it is Kassadin... I have no idea how people suggest it in their guides... Heal/Ignite is perfect for baiting/ganking (cleanse is another good option if you get cc-locked a lot).

But basically watch that vid and you will get it.

vcool

05-19-2011

Flash on Kass makes for some epic double flash jukes and getting kills.

You know that enemy who extended but not quite enough so he can get to his turret alive after your combo? with flash he won't see it coming. It's also great for picking up early kills before 6, wihch makes you snowball harder, which makes you stronger.

Heal might be good for baiting, but if you need heal to survive, most of the time you are dead anyway.

As for cleanse, when you're new to kass yeah it's very good. When you're a bit more experienced, you simply don't get into situations which would require cleanse. QSS is better than cleanse anyway.