Now that Rammus has returned to ranked... how do people build him nowadays?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fluffyburrito

05-17-2011

I'm excited about being able to try Rammus out again now that he's not being banned. I'm thinking that seeing how little lane staying power he has, he's best as a jungler. I was thinking:

6 Arm pen red (For penetrating jungle creep armor)
3 attack speed reds
3 attack speed quints (Attack speed is to jungle faster)
Armor yellows
Cooldown reduction or flat MR

How do people build rammus item-wise? I was thinking starting Cloth armor X 5 health pots and turning it into a heart of gold or two later, then rushing an Aegis, but after that I'm clueless. Just standard tank stuff?

PardonMySwag

05-17-2011

How can you turn a cloth armor into a heart of gold later?

Quote:
Cloth armor X 5 health pots and turning it into a heart of gold or two later,

jiggaboo quentin

05-17-2011

yes to "standard tank stuff."
as long as that means itemizing to counter the other team.
for boots, i really only find myself using merc treads or mobility boots. personally, those mobility boots just make ganking more effective and fun.

Fluffyburrito

05-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PardonMySwag View Post
How can you turn a cloth armor into a heart of gold later?
Oh snap, good point. Forgot about the change. >_< Guess I'll go with a philo stone into the tenacity item later, and maybe a second philo into shurellia's if the game goes on really long.

Cxxxxxxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

Here's my build

1. [Rush] Warmogs, start with Regrowth Pendant and a health pot.
2. Merc Treads
3. Sunfire or Early Force of Nature/Thornmail if needed.
4. Force of Nature if I built Sunfire first.
5. Thornmail.
5. Guardians Angel.

You choose when to build Force of Nature and Thornmail and Sunfire Cape.
People say Rammus can't farm up his Warmogs, but he only needs 10 assists which isn't hard for Rammus :P

biomorph

05-17-2011

My all times favorite against balanced teams - which it is 9/10 times - is still Omen, Merc Treads, Banshee and after that it really varies greatly but Sunfire, FoN, Guardian Angel are typical candidates.
I never get Warmogs on Rammus because I can really not see any justification for it.

Avelice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

I tend to like magic pen runes on Rammus, as most of his damage comes from his shell when jungling. I ran a test actually where I had all attack speed red and magic pen reds and my jungling speed was exactly the same. As such, I prefer magic pen so you can do more damage later. I haven't tried armor pen yet, but I think that magic pen is more useful in the long run and in dealing damage to champs, which is why I would go for them. Also, MR/lvl is just way better for blue than flat in my opinion.

My setup is the following:
Flat armor yellow
Magic pen red
MR/lvl blues
1 flat armor quint (For a little bit more survivability in the jungle)
2 MS quints (Probably not necessary because of ball, though I do like my movespeed)

For build I generally go
Boots+5 pots
Rush a philo stone (because Rammus needs mana regen for mobility with powerball and to roam effectively)
Then get another philo or heart of gold, depending on preference (I'm a fan of 2x gold/5 items on tanks because I find they can afford to do so and it helps them both in game and to support purchases into late game)
Upgrade boots into merc treads usually (Mostly because the MR helps a lot)
Sunfire's (getting the health first, when it matters first)
Banshee's Veil/Aegis
Other part of Aegis/Veil
Other items dependent on their team comp

Also, don't forget to buy some wards when jungling. Since you don't get Wriggle's it can be a little bit harder, but it is worth it. I hope this helps.

Cxxxxxxy

05-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomorph View Post
My all times favorite against balanced teams - which it is 9/10 times - is still Omen, Merc Treads, Banshee and after that it really varies greatly but Sunfire, FoN, Guardian Angel are typical candidates.
I never get Warmogs on Rammus because I can really not see any justification for it.
Eh I like it, but I can see where you're coming from.

biomorph

05-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmictor View Post
Eh I like it, but I can see where you're coming from.
If I could strap on a Warmogs "just like that" I'd do it of course but that is the problem. It takes quite a bit to farm and you get no defensive stats as you do so which means that you do not become that much more durable just because you have warmogs.
And no armor to make you poke harder which means besides your tremor your enemies have nothing to worry about in terms of damage.

Most of the times I build as follows: Doran's Shield -> HoG -> Merc -> Chain Vest -> Negatron. That is not a lot of HP involved but you might be surprised just how durable you can be with just those items. Those early boots to your resist stats make a world of difference as opposed to just plain HP, you need both of course.

tigerllama

05-18-2011

Cloth
HoG
HoG
Cloth -> Aegis
Negatron
HoG -> Randuin's
Negatron -> Banshee's/FoN
situational

Throw in your boots wherever you feel most comfortable with pots and wards as needed. So yeah, basic tank stuffs.