[Items] LoL Best Buys for patch v1.0.0.79

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AutoSponge

03-18-2010

re: Infinity Edge

All DPS calculations (my other spreadsheet) demonstrate that physical DPS is enhanced the most at all stages of the game by Brutalizer, Last Whisper, and Infinity Edge. It's a great item that gets better when your character has innate +crit chance (Pantheon, Ashe, etc.)

Here are the values:
Infinity Edge (250) 4080.00 5158.78 1078.78 1.26
Infinity Edge (150) 4080.00 4788.78 708.78 1.17
Infinity Edge (50) 4080.00 4418.78 338.78 1.08

Principle: As your base damage increases, the overall DPS increase yielded by IE will increase it's value (but not its price).

re: Madred's Inflation

Physical damage != Magic Damage because of crits. I agree with that statement, however, most (all?) characters have less MR than Armor naturally. As was stated earlier, all conditional items have a certain fluctuation that you must evaluate at the time of purchase. Warmog's is great, but not if you buy it 3 min before game end or get no kills. Madred's might be the perfect weapon against a tank that thinks you're physical.

re: Malady

This item looks great but under-performs for the price (negative value, see below). You're better off with a recurve bow, a vampire scepter, and a BF Sword. Firstly, those three get you exactly the value you purchased (not less) and they all build into better late-game items.

Malady 1890.00 1875.00 -15.00 0.99

Rallos

03-18-2010

Well malady is great for poison heroes like twitch & teemo (makes poison tick a lot harder) and
if you have many "auto-attack heroes" like a team with Yi/Tristana/Twitch but otherwise i'd say "mediocre"

EasymodeX

03-18-2010

Quote:
however, most (all?) characters have less MR than Armor naturally.
Most champs in competent games will have 65+ MR.

Quote:
Well malady is great for poison heroes like twitch & teemo (makes poison tick a lot harder)
Except, it doesn't.

Quote:
if you have many "auto-attack heroes" like a team with Yi/Tristana/Twitch but otherwise i'd say "mediocre"
Malady applies a "slow-stacking" pure damage debuff. The only use of Malady in the entire game is to stack the debuff on a target with ****tons of mitigation that you will get a number of sustained hits on, and then focus fire it with your team.

This means you're attacking the enemy tank, and your team is helping you focus fire the tank.

Because it's good strategy to focus fire the enemy tank.

Of course, this requires that your real DPS (because you won't be doing any with Malady) don't have armor or magic penetration stats (because they fail at LoL).

AutoSponge

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
Most champs in competent games will have 65+ MR.
That's 39% mitigation.

The average end-game armor (without items) is 70.

So what you're saying is most champs will bring their MR up to meet their natural Armor. That totally makes sense given all the hybrid champs and team comps.

So, my evaluation of Madred's (and SotD) is probably not inflated.

EasymodeX

03-18-2010

Quote:
So what you're saying is most champs will bring their MR up to meet their natural Armor. That totally makes sense given all the hybrid champs and team comps.
I'm saying most champs will bring their MR up to 65 or so by level 9. Someone on the team should be getting an Aegis, so that bumps it up to the 90 range during midgame. If magic damage is relevant in the game (and it usually is), then they will bring it up further to 140 or more via a Banshee or other items.

So I would say 65-120 would be a "common" magic resist target during midgame.

One of the cruxes here is that opponents that Mandred's is most relevant against (HP stackers, primarily tanks) tend to get extra magic resist because It's a Good Idea.

As a result, Mandred's loses a lot of efficiency in several areas -- I think your numbers are fine, but they should assume a 0-armor and 0-MR target, and let the players decide how to adjust the values depending on game conditions.

And, it would be good to highlight various items that have additional conditions that most players may not be aware of (magic damage component of Mandred/SotD).

AutoSponge

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
I think your numbers are fine, but they should assume a 0-armor and 0-MR target, and let the players decide how to adjust the values depending on game conditions.

And, it would be good to highlight various items that have additional conditions that most players may not be aware of (magic damage component of Mandred/SotD).
Right now, I assume 0 mitigation. I also assume no team benefits or other game/situation-specific conditions other than the simple ones listed (e.g., number of stacks).

For instance, although most Warwicks work toward a Madred's, I think the Black Cleaver is probably a better choice (how many 4k champs can a team have?). When a Warwick ults, they'll get the max cleaver stacks (assuming the target didn't cleanse) and could bring the mitigation below 0--doing additional damage and setting the target up for more pain from teammates or follow-up auto attacks.

This list does not convey that. Thorough knowledge of the game and its items does.

EasymodeX

03-18-2010

Quote:
For instance, although most Warwicks work toward a Madred's, I think the Black Cleaver is probably a better choice (how many 4k champs can a team have?).
On this particular topic, Warwicks get a Mandred's to rickroll Dragon/Baron.

For pure champ melting, Wit's End would be better until later when champs have good HP counts.

Peebs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-18-2010

On the note as warwick. What would be a better choice in runes? Crit chance or attack speed/armour pen? As in which is cheaper to achieve with items and therefore buying the stats that are harder to achieve through runes would be better.
Lets say 18% critical chance versus 16% attack speed and 25 armour penetration. (Forget the price of the runes)

AutoSponge

03-18-2010

I think I understand the question as, "What is the in-game value of 18% crit, 16% AS, and 25 arpen?"

18% crit = 880 (same as an agility cape, it's the base item)
16% AS = 420
25 ArPen = 520

If those are your only choices, it looks like 880 vs. 940. I would also like to add, that for DPS output, the AS/ArPen combo is better (especially early-game).

wildfire393

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSponge View Post
That's 39% mitigation.

The average end-game armor (without items) is 70.

So, my evaluation of Madred's (and SotD) is probably not inflated.
Two factors here:

1) Most melee DPS champs have Armor Penetration runes (or they should) and often pick up Last Whisper (again, they should) and possibly Brutalizer. This makes the 70 Armor significantly lower than the ~69 MR.
2) The magical damage cannot crit and thus does not get boosted by Crit Chance and Crit Damage. Every point of "real" damage can translate into 2.5 points of damage with Infinity Edge on a crit.

By my calculation, in order for Madred's Razor to do as much damage to a 70 Armor/70 MR champion as simply picking up a BF Sword and a Recurve Bow given Infinity Edge, Last Whisper, Phantom Dancer, and 20 Armor Pen in Runes, the target would need to have over 3300 HP. So 132 of it's "raw" damage is potentially equivalent to 50 physical damage.