Tank Guide. Not the Gospel Truth

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scyrner

05-17-2011

Your right about Jarvan, I was just using him as an initiator because thats one of the things he can do quite well.

As some tanks yes you should let carries farm. However you missed my point, what i was trying to say was essentially "Don't last hit steal minions your carry is going to get, but carries, if a tank is going for a guy, don't switch targets just to get the last hit. Tanks need gold, not as much as you, but they still do."

I am considering doing specific tank champion guides but im not going to do it if no one is interested. so, Yay or Nay to some champion specific guides of a similar type......

@Dane dread: the reason i think of cho more as a soak is on the whole defensive tanks really need a way to save people and Cho's silence does not work too well for that. Its possible to be a decent defensive tank with him but IMO he works better as a soak

my blog: demaciaaa.blogspot.com

Scyrner

05-17-2011

bump

Lady Hatter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

I started reading was very impressed.... then noticed a lack of Maokai.
I instantly stopped reading, glared at the screen, and tried to get a bad taste out of my mouth.
However not being one to rage.
Perhaps you just forgot maokai's unique defensive tanking style
So might I ask politley u add him into your guide, or perhaps; if you dont view Maokai as a tank
Put up your reasons why, so i may proceed to butcher your feeble defense
(On a lighter note on looking back its a very well written guide... however the lack of my personal favourite tank bugs me >.<)

Scyrner

05-17-2011

sorry about that Lady Hatter....

I was just using some examples off the top of my head, I personally Love Maokai as well however, as he is slightly more difficult to properly tank with than some other i mentioned, I did not include him in my guide.

I think he is a great tank and am seriously considering writing a full length guide solely for Maokai. I would love any input that you would like to put in.

Here is why I did not put him in my guide (I will copy this into the guide just cause you asked so nicely)

Maokai, The Twisted Treant:

Maokai fulfills a very interesting role in the compendium of Tanks in lol because of his interesting almost dual-personality style of play. Unlike most other tanks in lol Maokai can work as either and Offensive or Defensive tank depending entirely on how you use his skills and how you level them up.

Q: Arcane Smash: (DEFENSIVE TANK) Arcane smash works better with a defensive mode in mind due to its (IMO) absolutely pitiful range and damage. When in the process of saving one of your teammates the twisted advance (more on that l8r) into smash combo works quite well. I would not suggest this however on and Offensive tank build because it does not have the range to work as a disable/aggro taking mechanism.

W: Twisted advance: BOTH Absolutely Maokai best skill a move to taget snare that should be leveled up whenever possible (I LOVE THIS SKILL) and is excellent for both Offense and Defense. An interesting point that should be noted is that Maokai is completely invulnerable during the execution of this skill so a well timed Twisted can dodge things such as Requiem, and the tick dmg of Hemoplague.

E: Sapling toss: OFFENSIVE. No CC, Decent Dmg, This skill would make me a touch sad if it weren't for its unique abilities in the laning phase. Wanna push a tower? Chuck a few past it and you've got until the next minion wave champion free. Wanna ward a bush when you enter? SAPLING. 1 point early is all you really need for a Defensive build but if your offense you want this more than Arcane smash. That being said, even a touch of ap (dorans ring) makes this fairly damaging early game and will be really annoying.

R: Vengeful maelstrom: Ah the application possibilities. Both and Offensive and Defensive skill Maelstrom is full of win and i mean it. Chuck it somewhere then TA in for the initiation, place it somewhere to prevent a TD. Drop it on your team to survive Karthus ult. The Applications for Maokai's Ult are numerous. That being said, the cooldown is decently long at early levels so be wary of using it prematurely. While plenty of guides will suggest leaving this at lvl 1 I advocate strongly against this. Its WIN, learn it well and your team will LOVE you.

Sap Magic: Situationally either awesome or kinda fail Sap magic is made of win if you can get a lane with or against a manalless char. you love anyone that spams. Vlad is your friend. So is Garen and Vayne. Nothing you can do to itemize for this besides getting some health.

Skilling order: at lvl 1 get E unless on premade and going for bushes gank FB
Offensive: E=W>Q, R>QWE
Defensive W=Q>E, R>QWE

Summoner Skills:
Flash
Teleport
Clarity
Not necessarily in that order.

How to build Maokai (Keep in mind that this is just in my opinion and should not be taken as the word of god (or hotshotgg ))
Doran's Ring to start
Mercury Treads next
Spirit Visage
Randuins or Banshees (depending on the team, if Randuins buy Fon if not Banshees)
Force of Nature
A tanky item (opposition dependant)

Lady Hatter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

I have a rough draft Tank maokai guide in Guide forums first page x3 Look it up

Scyrner

05-17-2011

Was mine ok with you however?

I read yours, and liked it. I may steal some stuff from it when I write my guide... I will reference yours and provide a link.

Thanks for the Feedback
Scyrner

my blog: demaciaaa.blospot.com

Lady Hatter

05-17-2011

hmmn, always comment on the draw backs of things.. such as the eeerie commitment u get with twisted ( a well times flash can **** u over)
As well the spammable 1 sec stun (knockback) provided by Smash, its your MOST spammy CC, and good usage of it can lock down a carry, **** over several people, or disrupt channels.

Lady Hatter

05-17-2011

And i disagree with your items entirely

xMURKY

05-17-2011

whats the difference between soak and off tank?

Scyrner

05-17-2011

I generally don't comment on the drawbacks of things when i post them like this. This is because there are so many drawbacks (generally not inbuilt into skills) that can be exploited that I don' wanna tell everyone if they did not already know.

I also find myself not running out of mana very much (may be i use my abilities less) because (i think) I play generally duo que and therefore, when we go for a kill, we go for a kill. Still, I know what you mean about the arcane smash spam (may be why you run oom) and I would be interested as to why you disagree so radically with my item choice when many of them are listed in your own guide. Also, i really really dislike regrowth. I dunno why, i just dislike it. BTW spirit visage affects your passive heal.

@xmurphy: Not really a big one. Off tanks generally have 1 form of hard or close to hard CC but they don't have to. A soak pretty much is an off tank and vice versa. Two sides of the same coin . That being said, some people will say that they can "off tank" and by that they mean take enough damage to survive initiation/a teamfight while doing enough to be a threat. For example, AP gragas, Rylais, RoA and Frozen heart serves as a somewhat off tank esque character. Not as tough as a soak but does more damage.

P.S. Lady, I have not played Mao since the tenacity patch which is why I still have mercs in my build... been doing some other stuff besides tanking lately (I play AP quite a bit as well)