[Item Build In Progress] Life Steal Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Fat Battler

03-16-2010

So, nowadays, Plank's mid game is hampered quite a bit by the changes to Parrley.

I was thinking of not simply using Parrley as his main damage, but also as a tool to keep Plank alive and to debuff the enemy.

I'm thinking that Stark's Fervor is a prime Gangplank. Since he should stay close with his allies away from the action using Parrley, he should sort of be like a Support character. I'm not sure if the armor reduction aura has the same range as Parrley, so I'll need to test that out. However, it is the lifesteal that I'm focusing on: it applies on Parrley hit, and with criticals.

Executioner's Calling is an item that adds both lifesteal and crit chance. So, it seems like a good item to get right now.

Bloodthirster is obviously a powerful item, giving huge attack damage and lifesteal.

Malady is another nice item that goes well with the entire build and makes Plank's melee more vicious.

As a melee character, Gangplank has no quick way of getting in and doing damage and no way of escaping, so his melee should be used to take out an enemy who has been weakened or to shut down a heal *****. Using Malady, he can help his allies do damage to an enemy using his melee.

So, a build with:

Stark's Fervor
Exec Calling
Bloodthirster
Malady
____ Boots

would be practical: 10340 gold. It gives +.618 attack speed, 100 damage, 78% lifesteal, but only +15% crit chance.

I want to work Frozen Mallet or Infinity Edge somewhere into this build, but that's not looking like an option right now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Eat dat chammich

03-16-2010

I don't see the need for Malady in there to be honest. Starks is more than enough attack speed for you if you are not expecting to be in auto attacking much. Trade that one out for some more damage or another proc in my opinion.

AutoSponge

03-16-2010

Why don't more gangplanks use Sheen? It works well for Nasus when he crits, I have to imagine your LS will be better doing 80% more damage on a proc.

Fbsunny

03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSponge View Post
Why don't more gangplanks use Sheen? It works well for Nasus when he crits, I have to imagine your LS will be better doing 80% more damage on a proc.
The proc from sheen can't crit, which means it add 80% of Gangplanks base damage (without items) whether or not he crits. Since GP is mainly a +damage stacker after the patch it really is not that useful to get sheen.

To op, although lifesteal is useful on Gangplank, it should really be more of an afterthought after crit chance and damage. There is no real point in Gangplank being able to stay alive for a bit longer if he isn't doing good damage.

The new build I'm trying out it something like
rejuv bead+ faerie charm-> tiamat
boots
Zeal
IE (agility cloak first)
upgrade your boots
turn the zeal into a PD
Bloodthirster (most likely vamp scepter first)
Last Whisper if they are getting armor, or a defensive item or another +damage item

The Fat Battler

03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat dat chammich View Post
I don't see the need for Malady in there to be honest. Starks is more than enough attack speed for you if you are not expecting to be in auto attacking much. Trade that one out for some more damage or another proc in my opinion.
I only suggested Malady because if Plank were closing in on a weakened enemy, each slash would help his teammates do more damage to finish them off.

But I'm coming up with some builds that take out Malady, as Last Whisper would probably be more useful overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSponge View Post
Sheen doesn't proc lifesteal. Sheen is a separate proc from lifesteal. It would be awesome, but it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsunny View Post
To op, although lifesteal is useful on Gangplank, it should really be more of an afterthought after crit chance and damage. There is no real point in Gangplank being able to stay alive for a bit longer if he isn't doing good damage.
I was thinking that Plank could do his whole sitting back and Parrleying thing, while restoring health at the same time.

Stark's does armor reduction that helps Parrley, and it also lifesteals. Execs give crit chance and lifesteal.

With 2 Execs, 1 Infinity Edge, Stark's Fervor, and Merc Boots (that's about 10000), Plank's Parrley does 354 and 885 on crit, then factoring in natural armor does 208 damage, 520 on crit, and with the armor reduction, it would do 244, 610 on crit. That's not bad damage, and Plank heals himself for 56% of that damage, and he crits 60% of the time.

Quote:
The new build I'm trying out it something like
rejuv bead+ faerie charm-> tiamat
boots
Zeal
IE (agility cloak first)
upgrade your boots
turn the zeal into a PD
Bloodthirster (most likely vamp scepter first)
Last Whisper if they are getting armor, or a defensive item or another +damage item
Your build with the same gold benchmark (Mine: 11000, Your's: 10900) would be Tiamat, Merc Boots, Infinity Edge, and Phantom Dancer would do similar damage; an even 400, critting for 1000, but factoring in natural armor would be doing 235 and 588.

Our builds would be doing similar damage for the same crit chance (61.5%). My build has the armor reduction aura for allies and the lifesteal. Your Plank has Dodge chance and is significantly faster, though. Both of our Planks have the same attack speed.

After that, our builds would be similar, with a Blood Thirster or Last Whisper as the game ends.

Fighthesky

03-16-2010

I don't agree with having Malady or Exe's in ANY build with Plank.

The only time he should actually be in melee range is..
A. Parley is on CD and he goes in to finish a low health enemy off.
B. His escape options are exhausted and he has no choice but to stand and fight.

So all you really gain from Malady a (1600?)g item is 15% life steal. Worthless.

And for exe's, what exactly is the point here? Sure, lifesteal and crit are perfect stats for Plank, but it would be far better to just build a Zeal/Phantom for crit and a Stark's/Thirster for life steal. If it had a different activation, maybe. But plank's passive makes it absolutely worthless.

In all honesty I would be more interested in stacking bloodthirsters if you are really that interested in building him around lifesteal.

Maybe try the new Spirit Visage? Assuming it affects both life steal and consume.

But at the end of the day, I have always had better results when I stack crit dmg runes and went Ava blades > Inf edge.

The Fat Battler

03-16-2010

My secondary objective is to make Gangplank's melee useable somehow, and the lifesteal from Parrley and from his melee might make him more useable, so I suggested Malady at first. But Stark's Fervor does enough of a job.

Executioner's Calling is a cheap way to get Lifesteal and Crit. Much, much cheaper than Phantom Dancer. The Active can still make Parrley useful, though, it's still mostly useless.

Spirit Visage does not work with lifesteal.