[Guide] How I play Mordekaiser

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carnyge

03-16-2010

For starters, this is a guide of how I play Mordekaiser. I am no expert, and still relatively new to the game, but I have played enough games with Morde where I feel like I have a strong grasp on his strengths and weaknesses. For how I play this champion, I would agree he is strong but not overpowered, as his effectiveness wanes in the late game.

Skills

Passive: Iron Man
20% of the damage dealt from abilities is converted into a temporary shield, absorbing incoming damage.

Q- Mace of Spades
On next hit, Mordekaiser swings his mace with such force that it echoes out, striking up to 3 additional nearby targets, dealing his attack damage plus 20/40/60/80/100 bonus damage.

If the target is alone, the bonus damage is doubled.

Cooldown 8 seconds
Cost Costs 30/35/40/45/50 Health
Range 600

My Thoughts-This is a nice ability to spike your shield up and does a decent chunk of damage from the beginning. As you will see later in my item build, I do little to increase it's damage, so while it will aid me in champion fights, it's nothing I expect much out of. However, it is a quality skill to use with Siphon of Destruction.

Creeping Death

Unleashes a protective cloud of metal shards to surround an ally, increasing their armor and magic resistance by 10/15/20/25/30 and dealing 20/35/50/65/80 (+0.15) damage per second to enemies in the cloud for 6 seconds.

Cooldown 20 seconds
Cost Costs 26/32/38/44/50 Health
Range 750

My Thoughts- This is the one ability I don't max out until later into the game, when it is needed most for me. I generally take one rank of this at level 4, to help keep my shield up consistently while waiting on other CDs. I know some people play with this ability as early as possible, but I have opted not to.

Siphon of Destruction

Mordekaiser damages enemies in a cone in front of him, dealing 65/110/155/200/245 (+0.4) magic damage.

For each unit hit, Mordekaiser's shield absorbs an additional 8/12/16/20/24 health.

Cooldown 6 seconds
Cost Costs 24/36/48/60/72 Health
Range 700

My Thoughts-The first ability I level, and one I level every time I can. My first several matches with Morde I tried using Mace of Spades and Creeping Death as my main shield sources. However, after playing as much as I have, I believe Siphon of Destruction and Mace of Spades are the two fastest ways to spike my shield. In addition, this does strong damage throughout the early to midgame, but is often ignored in the later game by champions who have inflated health. This ability is key to the way I play Morde for the first 30-35 minutes of a game.

Children of the Grave

Curses an enemy champion for 8 seconds, stealing 3/3.5/4% life per second, plus an additional 0.1% per 50 AP.

If the target dies while under the effect of the curse, their soul is enslaved and will follow Mordekaiser for 30 seconds. During this time, Mordekaiser gains 25% of their ability power, and attack damage. The spirit gains 65/75/85% + (+%) of Mordekaiser's adjusted damage, ability power, and 50% + (+%) of Mordekaiser's health.

Pets can be controlled by holding the alt key and using the right mouse button.

Cooldown 120 seconds
No Cost
Range 850

My Thoughts-I think the power of this ultimate depends on how you intend to use it. It's great for finishing off running champions (especially with Ignite), dropping a tower in a lane, and turning the tide of a group fight. However, the lifesteal seems small so I usually save it for a kill, rather than to heal myself. Of course, there are times where I need the health and it has made the difference in living or dying, so situation dictates the use of this for me. This is the one ability, IMO, that grows in strength as the levels do. Not because of it's damage or lifesteal, but because of the strength of the image once you have accumulated your items.

Skill Progression
1: E- Siphon of Destruction
2: Q- Mace of Spades
3: E
4: W- Creeping Death
5: E
6: R- Children of the Grave
7: E
8: Q
9: E
10: Q
11: R
12: Q
13: Q
14: W
15: W
16: R
17: W
18: W

This skill progression is built for me to take advantage of 1) early farming and 2) early damage against champions. I play Morde as a carry for the first 30 minutes of the game while I am able to purchase the higher level items before many of the enemy players. This gives me a tanking advantage when I carry and allows me early kills in the game. With this build I am also able to push a lane very well and have been able to drop both towers in my lane within the first 15 minutes of the game depending on my lane partner and enemies.

Summoner Spells

Ignite- I won't say a must, but I wouldn't disagree either. Once you hit level 6, and you have worn down anyone in your lane, an Ignite/Ult combo along with one Siphon of Destruction hit should net you a kill almost everytime. Then, proceed to kill the other enemy laner, or attack the tower. I always use Ignite.

Ghost- One of Morde's biggest weaknesses is his ability to keep an enemy from getting away. Ghost solves this problem, or can be used to get out of dodge. Either way, Ghost helps to supplement a lack of snare.

Flash- I have seen players use this on Morde but I am not a fan. You can use this, but it has a longer CD than Ghost and would be used for the same purposes.

Heal- Meh, maybe if you're new to the game or champ, but I would never consider it a long term option.

None of the others appeal to me enough to discuss.

Masteries

I currently run with a 2/21/0 build with Morde (still trying to hit level 30). While I would consider the utility tree, there are too many selections there for mana, something Morde doesn't use. I build him to carry early and tank late.

Runes

Quints- Move Speed, forever and always for me.
All others will be a combo of CD reduction, Armor, and HP Regen.

Items

Let me preface this by saying I build to the enemy team's strengths. I do not have one set item build for all games, because I play Morde to be versatile and need to be in order to help my team. This is how I choose to play.

I will build any of the following items throughout the game (in no particular order):

Spirit Visage- Can't beat the Magic Resist, HP Regen, or CD reduction no matter the enemy.

Sorcerer's Shoes/Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads- All depends on who I am facing. If I have a Yi and/or Warwick, I'll normally go Tabi since I also build Warden's Mail/Thornmail. Sorc's Shoes for the games where snares are lacking and I have soft enemies, for a little bit more POP! on my spells. This helps earlier in the game. Merc Treads are for the snares of LoL. Overall, this selection is about the other team.

Force of Nature/Warmog's- Magic team or physical team? Magic Resist or Health? When facing a physical based team, I prefer the HP of Warmog's coupled with Warden's Mail or Thonmail, but FoN is for those magic heavy teams. When it's a split, I go for FoN everytime.

Warden's Mail/Thornmail- How am I feeling about the match? Do I have perceptive opponents who ignore me, or do I have that Yi or Warwick who try to show what they're made of and attack me anyway? Armor and damage return, or armor, HP regen, and slows. It should be an easy answer, and I usually do run Warden's, but if I'm feeling good about the game, I'll go Thornmail.

Rylai's Scepter/Frozen Mallet- I've read a lot of people who go one way or the other. I've also read the same people say the choice makes Mordekaiser a God. Ummm, I haven't experienced this yet. I think this choice is up to the player, really. I never run both, because I think it's redundant, but I know some do. If you're a physical attacker, go Mallet, if your a spell spammer, grab Rylai's. Both items provide a nice bonus to stats, but it's player preference in my opinion.

Banshee's Veil/Stark's Fervor/Sunfire Cape- Guess what, yet again an item depending on the enemy team. I prefer the Veil or Sunfire Cape over Stark's, but sometimes I'll go Stark's to support my team as much as possible.

I do not believe any of the above items are a bad choice for Mordekaiser, I think it is all about how you elect to play him and who you're up against. Most games, I can have the majority of these items before the enemy can accumulate half of their build because of the farming ability of Morde. This is what makes him strong for the first 30 minutes of the game. Depending on how well your team is doing against theirs determines how much longer you will remain a factor.

Early Game(this is how I play Morde, and is in no way the only way)

Depending on who I have with me in a lane (I never solo mid as I think it is best left for a late game carry) and who I am against, my early game aggressiveness will differ. If I have a Nunu or a champ with an early slow/stun, I play more defensively while getting a few licks in here or there. I harass as much as I can and push the tower as strongly as possible. If I haven't gotten any kills before level 6, I generally get one shortly after with my ultimate, and then proceed to drop a tower.

My goal in this phase is to carry my lane mate into the mid to late game. When it comes to items, I generally do not rush to complete one item at a time. I will often grab components from my item build throughout this phase. It is not uncommon for me to have (2) Regrowth Pendants, (1) Rejuv Bead, and my boots before upgrading to FoN/Spirit Visage/Footwear of choice. With Morde, having HP Regen early allows me to push and harass much harder.

By the 20 minute mark, it is not uncommon for me to have 5-8 kills and well on my way into my items.

Mid Game

Carrying my team and my late game carries is still the goal here, and this is normally when my Morde shines. I have been able to outgear most enemies and both my towers are down. If my allies have needed a hand or gank, I have provided it. This phase is all about being selfless and realizing you are not likely to carry your team to a victory when 35 minutes rolls around, but your Ashe or (insert other carries here) will. I play Mordekaiser selflessly, what can I say.

End Game

This is when you look for your carries to come through for you. I have been in a game where I carried the team for 40 minutes until our Ashe finally took the job from me. I was grateful, to be honest, because I don't think Morde has the tools to be a late game carry. I firmly believe, the longer the game goes, the weaker he gets because other champions are equipping themselves. This is why I strive for a 30 minute game, because for those 30 minutes, I have the distinct advantage.

When the end game comes around, I play to tank, or to be a large target for people to misclick. Magic resistance of 200+ and/or Armor of the same is not very uncommon for me, depending on the game and my mood. I cannot initiate much, but it's amazing how many players want to show what they have against me, especially when I have been all over them for the previous 30 minutes. It seems a lot of players feel like they have something to prove to an enemy champ who had been beating on them, and I let them. They work my HPs down, I deal what damage I can, but it's the big numbers from my carries that get the job done. I always ulti the main target for my carries to ensure I get myself a ghost to wreak havoc with.

Parting Thoughts

I do not believe Morde is overpowered at all. He seems very strong for a good portion of the game, but he peters out and eventually becomes average. This is why I push for an early win, because I would prefer to do as much damage as I can when I am at my strongest. His late game wane is what balances his early game dominance, in my opinion.

I've tried DPS Morde, I've tried AP Morde (couldn't stand this one), but I haven't seen close to the success of what I get now as a tank. This is how I play Morde and I am sure there are faults in it.

Thanks for taking the time to read how I play Morde. Good luck!

mOeeOm

03-16-2010

Don't write guides unless you're level 30 with full tier 3 runes (experienced) >.>

Why a lot of stuff in your guide are not optimal.

Carnyge

03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOeeOm View Post
Don't write guides unless you're level 30 with full tier 3 runes (experienced) >.>

Why a lot of stuff in your guide are not optimal.
I appreciate your input. However, I disagree someone needs to be a part of the Elite Level 30 club to gain experience with a champion. I have learned enough about Morde to think I can help other players.

You say my way of playing is not optimal, that's your opinion. However, I have more success than failure.

Balonar

03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnyge View Post
I appreciate your input. However, I disagree someone needs to be a part of the Elite Level 30 club to gain experience with a champion. I have learned enough about Morde to think I can help other players.

You say my way of playing is not optimal, that's your opinion. However, I have more success than failure.
Champions play completely differently when you have access to all the Masteries and a full book of runes.

For instance, Mord becomes much better when you stack Magic Pen runes. This ensures that your spells are doing near true damage without any items. It also greatly increases the value of Creeping Death, as the "insignificant" damage it deals is near true damage and more valuable early laning phase to grind through creeps.

Conversely, while Mace of Spades deals fine damage on its own, early game it only serves as a 3rd way to recharge your shield. In the laning phase there's no need for you to be in melee range of creeps (you should be harassing!). To finish off a few creeps, sure, but at rank 2 or 3 you can full charge your shield with one Siphon (++ with MPen runes).

Also: Consider Cleanse as a summoner spell. You're a tank and should be one of the first ones to wade into a teamfight, and hence the first to soak up CC (either to nuke you or move on to your carry). Cleanse ruins those plans and allows you to unleash your multiple AoE spells from their midst.

The Solutionist

03-16-2010

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...631#post745631
*******s didnt even realize this was out there do you? well, i normally get FB, and about 14 kills + 2 deaths and about 8 assists before i kill all the buildings -- heres how many building kills you'll get 8-14
GGA.
FFFFFFFUUUUUUU---

Carnyge

03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balonar View Post
Champions play completely differently when you have access to all the Masteries and a full book of runes.

For instance, Mord becomes much better when you stack Magic Pen runes. This ensures that your spells are doing near true damage without any items. It also greatly increases the value of Creeping Death, as the "insignificant" damage it deals is near true damage and more valuable early laning phase to grind through creeps.

Conversely, while Mace of Spades deals fine damage on its own, early game it only serves as a 3rd way to recharge your shield. In the laning phase there's no need for you to be in melee range of creeps (you should be harassing!). To finish off a few creeps, sure, but at rank 2 or 3 you can full charge your shield with one Siphon (++ with MPen runes).

Also: Consider Cleanse as a summoner spell. You're a tank and should be one of the first ones to wade into a teamfight, and hence the first to soak up CC (either to nuke you or move on to your carry). Cleanse ruins those plans and allows you to unleash your multiple AoE spells from their midst.
Thank you for the clarification. I didn't realize how different things get at level 30.