Swain : (

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Paulz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble finding a suitable swain build, could you guys assist.

MoChickenPlz

05-17-2011

A build that I use that I find usefull
Meka pendant and health pot to start
Meka -> tear
then make your boots perferably merc treads

From here if you are being more offensive build the hexgun for more power on your ult.
then spirit visage. Otherwise build in the opposite order.
You are starting to get tanky and your ult can support you for awhile, make sure you are hitting as many targets as possible.

A couple different ways to go from here.
Finish AA or Ryails (good thing about it is that every bird procs the slow effect so it makes following easy).
Then build whichever you did not build prior.
The 6th items is up in the air depending on the team comp you are facing. Deathcap if facerolling them, Banshees, G.A. really whatever it calls for.
After you build the 6th item go back and finish up the complete hexgun blade.

iLullaby

05-17-2011

hotshotts been playing alot of swain, maybe check out his summoners page to see what hes building, kakasoul.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

Rush RoA, then judge your opponents anti-heal ability ie. Champions with anti-heal abilities as well as ignites and amount of them. If they just have a Champion with anti-heal or just 1 or 2 ignites then you should get Wota or Spirit Visage next. If they have Champions with anti-heal and ignites then you will need both. Judge their AP abilities as well as to whether you need SV or WotA as the SV Mres can mean a lot to survival.

HP, Mana Pool, anti-heal survival, AP, and CDR are the thoughts you want when building Swain. RoA gives the first 2. WotA and SV give the last 3. After all that Rylai's, Deathcap, and Zhonya's are generally going to give you the most on the AP survival side of the house. I do get a Thornmail occasionally to counter a team with 2 or more AD heavy hitters. Lastly Mpen in runes and only get an item with Mpen when the other issues have already been covered. An Mpen item is nice You just are not likely to get as much out of it unless your opponents are stacking a lot of it.

Of course boots of choice. Usually merc treads or sorc boots depending on opponents cc. I usually will not get t2 boots till mid game. Mobility is not necessarily needed for Swain as this build is kind of an AP tank build.

Tokinatoor

05-17-2011

Lots of ways to build him...

I like saphire crystal, into ROA but then buy Rylais, Rabadons, Zhonayas or Abyssal....

Those are my favorite items but they are the exact same items I use on Vlad (without ROA).

Swain is too squishy even with tank items to be a direct tank. Half his moves are AOE so WOTA would not be very effective.

I have heard Spirit Visiage is good but I hate early game items.

Emmortahl

05-17-2011

Rush RoA, Merc Treads, then build depending on the other team. I've had games where I build nothing but RoA's simply to combat their tankiness. Whereas other times I've gone RoA -> Rylais -> Will of the Ancients -> Quicksilver Sash (removes ignite)

Also: Mana regen items are for people who don't take the time to read his passive; or are unable to get blue buff.

MotorizedStick

05-17-2011

I just played a game with Swain. Won and we was pretty much 4 v 5 the whole game

At the end I had.

Gun Blade
Deathcap
Void Staff
Thornmail
Archangel Staff
Sorc Shoe's

I found this to be very good for both damage and survivability. Even thought I did die a ton in that game.

Nightdancer ND

05-17-2011

If you play longer you will see that you don't need a tear or an AA.
Trust me your mana will last long enough.

I prefer a Rylai's for the HP and slow.
You will also need a Deathcap (sooner or later) to get enough AP to make proper damage.
Magic penetration is also very important, but I wouldn't recommend to get the sorc. shoes, because you have to go often into the fight => Mercury Treads
Some CDR is also very handy to be able to caste more spell combinations. (a Spirit Visage is good, also a DFG, Morello's or more tanky a Frozen Heart)

Modevasion

05-17-2011

WotA is AMAZING on swain.. but swain is best played as an ap offtank imo... and like all tanks, yours items SHOULD vary a lot depending on who ur playing against... the interesting thing about him is that your ult is what makes you very hard to kill... if the other team doesn't have a lot of anti heal, i'd try to work a WotA into ur build at some point.. usually i only grab the hextech revolver.. only make finishing it a priority if you have a lot of casters that need the spell vamp, ap boost etc.

For HP and mana I almost always go RoA.. tear of the goddess just doesn't charge very well with swain.. i.e. none of his spells are truly spammable (though you will be using them a lot, this means taht a tear isn't necessarily the best way to go)

RoA + blue buff is really all you need (swain should be the highest priorty for blue buff in the game).

If you notice they have a lot of assassins/physical damage it might be worth building a zhonya's hourglass...

Rabadon's is always good, but it's more of a luxury item on swain.. first and foremost you need to be able to not die during team fights... BECAUSE his ult and pretty much all of his spells except nevermore have VERY short range for a caster... if you can do this, then you can worry about being an ap carry. That's just the most effective way i've tried.. depending on the situation you may prioritize going more damage heavy, or even more tanky...

Items i like to get in no particular order:
RoA
Rabadon's
boots of choice
frozen heart
zhonya's hourglass
hextech revovller --> will of the ancients
banshee's veil
FoN
Thornmail
Rylais
spirit visage
etc.. (i'm sure there's more.. that's all i can think of off the top of my head ^^)

good luck

xahhfink6

05-17-2011

Deathcap
Mejais
Sorc Boots
Abyssal/Zhonyas (whichever you need first)
Rylais or Lichbane