Vlad and Heal...Fangtastic Synergy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

M4nTiCoR3

05-17-2011

Many players feel heal is a poor choice of a summoner spell. In many cases, i would tend to agree. Despite the bad rep it has, I have come across a nifty little synergy between Vlad and the Heal spell several months ago that i have tested in game, and have started to exploit in pubs.

One of the most effective ways to make use for the Heal spell in game is with a tactic known as Heal baiting. It's counter-able, and fairly easy to adapt to if a player is smart, but in pubs it often works because it can get that snowball rolling quickly and by the time a player adapt to it your already fed enough to win fights without it.

Several factors go into what makes this effective on Vladimir. Here are the basics of why I think it works so well for me, and just thought i would pass it along to the masses.

1. Vlad's weak early game.

He has one of the worst early games of all champs which makes other good players play extremely aggressive against him. This can lead to their downfall if they over-commit too early and you surprise them with a heal bait.

2. Vlad's Pool.

This spell can prolong a fight long enough to get your other offensive spells back off CD, deal some damage to the enemy, and heal you all at the same time. A well timed pool in the midst of a committed fight is game changing.

3. The Tides of Blood Healing and Regen Buff.

This was the big aha for me. I was an advocate for getting this thing working months ago and posted several times on the bug forum that Tides was not increasing Vlad's Regen. Eventually a patch note came out that said it had fixed this issue and the he now benefited from the 8% buff to healing and regen for essentially all effects. After doing some in game testing, i am convinced that it not only buffs his Hp5, but also any and all Healing effects he receives in the game. This includes the Heal spell and Health pots. With 4 stacks of ToB up, he receives a total of 32% buff to all Healing and regen effects, both form his spells and other sources.

4. Perseverance (not Strength of Spirit...lol)

Yeah, I said it. I know what a lot of people think of this one, and while again i agree with many champs, any champ who benefits greatly from regn effects can get some use out of this. That being said, the real reason for mentioning it is just to show you the optimal effectiveness of this synergy. Basically it works just like ToB, only all the time, adding 4% to Hp5 Regen. That makes his Hp5 Regen up around 36% when he has 4 stacks of ToB. Interestingly enough, after some preliminary testing in custom games, this 4% also seems to buff Health pots and The Heal spells effect. This also puts his Healing (and i'm assuming here, but it seems to hold true) form "all" effects up by 4% with this mastery maxed out.

5. Spirit Visage

The good ole SV has been a staple in many Vlad builds for a long long time. The 15% bonus to healing effects has long been considered one of the best ways to increase your life gains, especially when paired with some spell vamp. Its not a horrible thing that he benefits form ALL of the stats on the item as well, and while its mostly a defensive item in nature, the CDR can allow for better timed offensive maneuvers. The real reason its being mentioned here is the healing buff. It does indeed buff all healing and regen effects and pushes out total buff-age up to 51% increase to heals and regeneration with 4 stacks of ToB.

6. The Math

At level 3 you should have one rank of all your spells. If you happen to start with a Regen pendant, Hp5 Quints, the 4%buff from mastery, and the Heal spell, here is what you have.

Level 3 with no stacks of ToB

Hp5 (base + RP + 4%) ~ 32 hp5

Health (full@ Lvl 3) ~ 655hp

Heal spell (Lvl 3 + 4%) ~ + 208hp

Health Pot (+4%) ~ + 208hp or +52 hp5 for 20 sec

Level 3 with 4 stacks of ToB

Hp5 (+36%) ~ 44

Health (-ToB) ~ 655 - 243 = 412

Heal Spell (Lvl 3 + 36%) ~ + 272hp

Health Pot (+36%) ~ + 272hp or + 68 hp5 for 20 sec

That means at level 3, Vlad can get in the range of 30-40% instant gain in life from the Heal spell depending on if you took HP mastery and runes or not. He also can net an incredible 112 hp5 for the duration of the fight which equates to over 20 HP/1sec, and is nothing to sneeze at.

Even if he is ingnited, should he save his heal and simply uses his Health pot, he will only be taking approximately 20 True Dam per sec for 5 sec, but heal back about 10 HP per sec during those 5 sec of debuff, and for the next 15 sec after that he will get the 20 HP per sec as the pot continues to work. The pot basically cancels out ignite at this level.

Once the debuff is gone his heal will be massive and likely force the enemy back to base, allowing for some free farm time, or even net him a kill. With the high amount of regen at his disposal, he will be able to recover most f the damage by the time his enemy returns if he chooses to stay in lane.

Now this is just a generic example of how it works, but i cant count how many times i have been able to survive an early aggressive attempt on my life and start snowballing towards victory due to this nifty little trick.

I am sure one complaint many of you have about heal is that its usefulness falls of late game. This is largely true, but not as much with the synergy as you might expect. For example...

Heal (Lvl 18 & no buffs) = 500 HP

Heal (Lvl18 +51% from ToB, Per, SV) = 755 HP

This means you can literally restore anywhere between 20-25% of your total life at level 18 with a typical Vlad life total of 3-4k HP. If you were smart enough to buy a little AR and MR, that amount of HP in a key fight can be significant. It can also heal your allies and minions for around 250 HP apiece, and can be instrumental in getting some players (especially in pubs) to actually push a tower once a big fight has been won, instead of just backing to spend their coin becaue they are low on life, despite the fact the entire enemy team is down for the next 30-60 sec.

In conclusion, i am not saying that this is the most epic way to win with one of my favorite champs, or thats its the new OP by any means. It has its counters and is particularly difficult to pull off against champs with ignite and a healing debuff ability like Kat and MF. However, i have used it to great effect in pubs lately, and it has been netting me more wins than the more typical pure AP build I sometimes use. Basically it was just a curiosity that turned into a pretty solid synergy that has been working in the game. I hope it encourages others to branch out and try new things with their favorite champs instead of the same old same old. Who know, you may find something fun and effective like i did.

Pyrinoc

05-17-2011

While I personally don't believe I would fall prey to the early game heal-baiting the OP is speaking of, I will say that recently I've been in several pubs where the mid on my team fell prey to this over and over again. It was incredibly frustrating for me, even after I point out before creeps even spawn "Hey, be careful about going in for the kill against Vlad/Kat/Malz early game. They have Summoner Heal."

*2 minutes in* Vlad/Kat/Malz First Blood.

You warn them, they do it anyways. Ugh.

Hefty Sak

05-17-2011

Strength of Spirit - Increases your champion's health regeneration by 0.1/.2/.3% of your maximum mana.

Um. SoS isn't great on Vlad as he has no mana.

I could see that heal might be useful to him early game for a bait and it synergizes with his E a little, but generally Vlad has so much health/regen beyond level 7-9 with just spellvamp that he's always walking around full hp unless everything around him is already dead. In which chase you don't need hp.

Heal baiting could be doubly fun with vlad since you could do it while he pools since people see you go down to 20% then your HP disappears so they close a gap to finish you... then you pop up with 50%+ and can chase them with Q+E.

Generally, people ignite a Vlad they want to kill (like mundo) so they cut all healing in half which makes that heal a lot weaker.

M4nTiCoR3

05-17-2011

Wow, major typo...where's my brain at this morning.

SoS shold be Perseverence...duh...i know better than that.

Sorry for the mix up.

Also, the thing about heal baiting with Vlad is using your high hp5, a health pot, and pool to get them to iginte early and survive it, then pop heal for the full effect once they are in an over committed position.

Sorbon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap81 View Post
5. Spirit Visage

The good ole SV has been a staple in many Vlad builds for a long long time. The 15% bonus to healing effects has long been considered one of the best ways to increase your life gains, especially when paired with some spell vamp. Its not a horrible thing that he benefits form ALL of the stats on the item as well, and while its mostly a defensive item in nature, the CDR can allow for better timed offensive maneuvers. The real reason its being mentioned here is the healing buff. It does indeed buff all healing and regen effects and pushes out total buff-age up to 51% increase to heals and regeneration with 4 stacks of ToB.
The problem with Spirit Visage is it add less healing over all than a Hextech Revolver does. If you can get the cooldowns anywhere else, you're better off.

SV was a staple a long time ago, before it was nerfed and Hextech items were buffed.

On Vlad I'm addicted to Ignite + Teleport. I'll ignite them very early if they're the type to harass Vlad just to bring them down a bit and discourage poking me. It's up by the time I'm level 6 and have 765 gold (for H.Revolver). I recall, teleport, kill them effortlessly. Gank another lane, on average pick up a one more kill. Get boots 1 and start second item, depending on team comps.

I'm having a hard time imagining that heal baiting would be as reliable.

I'll probably give it a try anyway. Part of the reason I play Vlad such a disgusting amount is I like how his spells, items, masteries, etc, can be adjusted to accommodate different plans or team comps and he still plays basically the same way.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

I personally don't understand the bias against Heal. While not my first choice, it isn't a bad spell at all.

It restores 500 health and 250 to all your teammates which is not terrible. Especially when you consider that this is POST-MITIGATION health, so that 500 Health negates about 1500 damage if you have 200 magic resist or armor.