Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Assassins: to teamfight or be a coward

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SupahflyJohnson

05-17-2011

Thanks everyone for replying. I was confident in my stance that everyone belongs in a team fight no matter what, but this is a mentality that I'm finding hard to discover in other assassins that just want to roam and leave the big work to everyone else.

I play Jax and Poppy as assassin characters, and I always try to be present for a team fight simply because its necessary for everyone to be together and to provide the big burst of damage the team needs. I'm not perfect with my timing, targeting, or positioning, and honestly I don't believe anyone else is. But I try my best, and that's all I demand of anyone else and hope that's all they demand of me. The negativity in this game is the biggest killjoy, and I often just put my chatbox to the bottom of the screen and pretend there is no smacktalk going on. It helps me focus on the GAME too, so I usually don't need the chatbox for communication since I can see what's up without distraction. The game in question was one such game: after 20 minutes of their **** I just put the chat away and focused on the game.

I know that's bad of me, but I would rather enjoy the game with no ****-talking and lose as opposed to getting upset over comments and losing. Very few people know how to be constructive or helpful for being so "pro". IMHO it shows their true professionalism by being little children over a game, and honestly a pro should be in ranked, not normal matches.

iP1ayJarvan

05-17-2011

just keep in mind, while an assassin's job is to roam and murder lonelies, doesnt mean they aren't needed in teamfights. imagine, if a nuke can burst down some unfortunate lonely in 2s, that possibly means you can turn the fight into a 5v4 in 2s during a teamfight. (or worse case, 4v4)

biomorph

05-17-2011

Assassins should indeed roam and look for gank opportunities and therefore it means that they do not always stay with the team.
Many assassins are easy targets in team fights so therefore they do not just jump into the fray head on when hell breaks loose.

That said .... An assassin should always lurk nearby a team fight just waiting for the right moment to jump in which is when the wost CC or AE have been unleashed which gives him or her the best window of opportunity. For instance a enemy Ashe fires a ECA hitting a ally and soon after Amumu flies in with bandage toss and fires ulti. This is an ideal time for, say Akali, to dash right onto Ashe use shroud and tear Ashe to pieces as Akali does best.

So the person you describe is right and also wrong, but mostly he clearly does not understand the game and/or has zero tactical insight.

If an assassin gets caught in a AE/CC **** storm in team fights he's not doing the job.
If an assassin does not take the opportunities given to assassinate enemy carries/casters then he's not doing the job.
If an assassin does not stay hidden to some degree nearby during team stand offs he's not doing the job.

TL;DR; Assassin do not jump head on into team fights but wait for the opportune moment but never stay out completely unless there is nothing he can do (disastrous initiation etc).

Arby Kiddo

Recruiter

05-17-2011

I can think of one case where someone would not want to engage in a team fight. However, keep in mind that at this point, you may have already lost the game.

You should never initiate a team fight where you don't gain anything. That means, if you aren't sure you'll at least come out a kill ahead, don't fight. If you kill a turret but get an extra death as a result, that is also acceptable.
I doubt the Akali character you are mentioning was playing that way. She was most likely just in fear of her own squishiness. Of course, League of Legends is a team game and if she never helps out in a team fight, then it's a major detriment to her team.

Akali isn't so much an assassin as an anti-carry. Her job as mentioned before is to focus down the squishiest champions of the other team, who are usually the highest causes of DPS. Team fights are always tricky because a bad initiate can cause a team that was ahead to lose its advantage. Suffice to say, Akali should never initiate but she is usually one of the biggest bursts of damage on her team.

All in all, I would say the problem is more of a bad player with the wrong mindset, rather than the role of an assassin being the problem.

Mejakallu

05-17-2011

The global teleporters are really the only ones who have any sort of excuse for not being in a team fight at the onset of it, since they can join in later on once things have shaken up and choose their positioning. One of the things that makes Shen so strong is his ability to splitpush from across the map and then immediately appear in a team fight if it ever starts with his team.

Monkeedude

05-17-2011

Quote:
SupahflyJohnson:
Well golly gee, that's fine and swell until the end of the game where both teams are in a clump and roaming is dangerous/suicidal. During the team fight phase, an assassin should be nearby (not INSIDE the group, or at least not in front) waiting for the best opportunity to strike the weakest or most powerful target.

This is typically the case. Essentially your assassin is nearby to gauge how the fight is going. If your team has initiated well, they'll get the first kill without the assassin, and the assassin needs to be the one who jumps in and initiates on the second kill. Typically, most teams will be on cooldown at this point, So you shouldn't have any problems taking one down with your typical Assassin CC or slowing abilities. At that point, if you have enemy focus you fall back into your team for an easy 5v3.

Zeikei

05-17-2011

At the very least, you need to be present so that you can make your enemy has a smaller margin for error, when I play an assassin, I sit and poke until you know you can kill someone before being focused down. Heck, just having a 5th person present makes the other team think twice about initiating too hastily.

Capt Crunk

05-17-2011

the only excuse to not help a team fight is if you back door.

if your team is smart they will fall back to a tower and not all die , otherwise it's on your mates for dying.

bob000

05-19-2011

How is she gonna pick off stragglers if shes nowhere near the fight?

Kushmeyer2

05-19-2011

Pick Eve.

Gank early, feed all kills to mid and whatnot, make Janna jealous of your ****ty assists and such.

Triforce, Sunfire Cape, Randuins Omen.

NOW, let the teamfights begin!

>Fight starts!
>Stun someone important! (Randuins omen GOOOO!!!)
>Ravage dat ass!
>QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
>Die (this happens at an 80% rate of success)
>Add 5 points to your scoreboard, and if you were successful at the 'die' step, add 1 more.

That's how a real eve teamfights.