What's the best champion for this specific task?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LCS Dyrus

05-16-2011

I want a champion that can tank and murder consistently, based on the build. However, if my team's garbage, I want to be able to ditch them and still play. My fun shouldn't be ruined by morons, but I want to be able to help people who aren't that way. Suggestions?

madam strippe

05-16-2011

Renekton

HMS BUTTPEE

05-16-2011

Cho'Gath

Prometheius

05-16-2011

Jax.

Yeah, yeah, unrealiable CC.

The ability to instantly kill any squishy chaser and hold off tanky DPS for a long time has to count for SOMETHING though.

I mean, what other champ can get 3.5k+ HP, 300 AD, 300 AP, and 140 of each defense all at the same time?

iP1ayJarvan

05-16-2011

basically you're looking for a 'carry', plenty of those around but AD melees generally fit your description better. trynd, xin, olaf would be good choices for u.

edit: and yea forgot about jax. him too

Etherimp

05-16-2011

Mordekaiser and Poppy?

JohnCataldo

05-16-2011

Here's my list of guys to check out, assuming the "tank and murder consistently" is essentially the goal.

Xin
Has jump + knockup to initiate. Abilities weaker on defense compared to others, though ult helps and items can make up most of the difference. Excellent jungler.

Irelia
Plays similarly to Xin in many ways. Jump and disable to initiate, but can't reliably stun (only slow). Excellent offense skills, weaker tank skills than most of these champions. Strong self-healing.

Jarvan
Ring can initiate, along with jump/knockup, and excellent team-oriented skills all around (mini-Rally, AoE knockup, AoE slow). Good damage mitigation with self shield (and can sometimes escape with jump). Slightly weaker at the carry/DPS half than some others (again, items make a huge difference). Versatile item builds.

Lee Sin
Has a jump to enemies, but is skill shot that's blocked by enemies (including creeps), so less certain. "Kick" ultimate is excellent for picking one enemy out of a crowd as an initiation / win the battle skill, if you can get into position in the first place. Can shield self and allies, can heal self. Excellent jungler.

Malphite
Usually considered a pure tank, but can do a moderately decent impression of physical melee (and that's what Riot initially rolled him out as, long ago). Strong passive shield, decent chaser, superb initiation skills. Decent jungler.

Olaf
Built in lifesteal. Decent AoE slow. Superb Ultimate for chasing and true damage for finishing. Excellent jungler. Much weaker on defense than most champs, weaker initiator than most champs. More of an off-tank than a pure tank, and even that more or less requires a Frozen Mallet to get by. Strong as DPS, though. Excellent jungler.

Pantheon
Normally built as DPS, but has two strong initiation skills and a self-shield. Other than that doesn't really do much in the way of 'support', but a reliable targeted stun goes a long way.

Poppy
One of the only AP options that really seems viable. Usually built as AP burst, but can be built to tank, and most of her abilities can be adapted to tanking. Trickier to tank with than most though.

Renekton
Built in flash-ability, targeted stun, AoE damage ultimate that gives health, AoE healing ability: Pretty close to ideal for straddling tank vs. melee carry. Tends towards the tankier side and less towards the carry side, but if you farm well the items make you pretty scary.

Sion
AP is probably the most popular build, and is rarely seen tanking, but is suited well enough to it. Activated shield, as well as a passive that reduces damage, and an ultimate that restores health. One of the best initiation skills in the game, whether tanking or not -- ranged targeted stun. Can play as pure AP, pure AD, pure Tank, or any combination (though true hybrid Sion builds are rare in the wild.) Can jungle, though not the greatest. Extreme flexibility is the benefit to learning Sion.

Taric
Normally played as tank/support. Similar to Sion in many ways, including initiation and self protection abilities. Only occasionally seen as DPS, but Taric is a good example of the idea that anyone holding an Infinity Edge is a threat.

Trundle
Lots of combination abilities, including the fairly unique ability to place a physical obstruction anywhere you want (only Anivia has a really comparable skill, though Jarvan competes). Not the best initiator, tends to fall more on the tough DPS side rather than tank. Difficult to kill almost always, but can't necessarily force enemies to fight. Good jungler.

Udyr
Often played as combination Tank/melee DPS (assuming Tiger > Phoenix). Can be extremely tough and hard to kill, has one of the strongest shields in the game, built in life-steal, and movement speed abilities and targeted stuns (that can potentially stun multiple enemies), as well as built in dodge. Tiger gives punch and lets you build as damage to really hurt people. Can have trouble initiating against ranged, mobile enemies (Ashe can often successfully kite Udyr). Superb jungler.

Warwick
Sometimes played as glass cannon DPS, but usually benefits from some tankiness. Certainly has excellent initiation ultimate, but other skills are mostly offense oriented, rather than tank, though Warwick is probably the king of self healing (and fights 1v1 with the best of them). Arguably the best jungler. Tankwick is a real thing, but undoubtedly worse than many other options for primary tank.

Not Included
Carries like Jax and Tryndamere can't really play as the primary tank for the team. They just lack initiation skills, even if they can jump in personally, survive, and probably get kills on the way. They're fine characters, but you pretty strongly indicated that you'd like to be able to support your teammates well, and that's not what those guys do.

Conclusion
If you want a single top answer, I'd say Renekton. If you want to explore a few different champions, the short list includes Xin (leaning more towards DPS) and Jarvan (leaning towards tank). I'd also strongly consider Udyr and Sion, depending on exactly what you like, with the understanding that many people would probably disagree that those two are good primary tank options.

Lughsan

05-17-2011

Blitzcrank..

Can make any situation 1 v 1

OnlyBotLane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lughsan View Post
Blitzcrank..

Can make any situation 1 v 1
How is that true? Surely Poppy is far better at that.

Larson McMurphy

05-17-2011

Mundo, Vlad and Singed are my favorites for this task. Singed has the additional benefit of being able to run around the map pushing all the lanes, which means if your team sux you might actually still be able to win... but... probably not.