Alistar Tank Build Help?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrScythe

05-15-2011

Could someone give me a good alistar tank build? I'm thinking of buying him as my tank over amumu. He seems kinda fun. Anyways, I need a good tank build for him. Would Warmog armor be any good on him? I really suck at building tanks so... yeah.

bylobog44

05-15-2011

This is how I generally build Alistar as a tank. This build maximizes cool down reduction and tries to balance magic resistance, armour, health and a little bit of AP to make his abilities hurt a bit.

Core Items:
Shurelya's Reverie - I almost always build this item on Alistar. Health, Regen and CDR with a useful movement speed active. It hits all the bases.
Boots of Lucidity - CDR,.
Banshee's Veil - Build Thornmail first if you are facing a heavy physical damage team.
Thornmail - build Banshees first if you are facing a heavy magic damage team.

Optional Items depending on how the game is going.
Ability Power - I'll go Sheen, Fiendish Codex, Haunting Guise or Abyssal Scepter.
Health or Armor - Soul Shroud, Aegis or Sunfires
Magic Resistance - Spirit Visage, QSS or Wits End.

Note that these are alll relatively low cost items. Of the basic items, banshees is the most expensive at 2700.

VonZylo

05-15-2011

There are a couple of builds I use, depending if I'll be roaming or straight lane tanking.

If I'm straight tanking like you seem to imply, here what I got (and this is just my build I use in normal games):

Runes:
Greater Seals and Glypes of Warding: +20 MR
Greater Marks of Desolation: 15 Armor Penatration
Quintessiance of Fortitude: +78 Health

I bought the Seal of Warding by mistake one day and couldn't afford the Armor ones, However after playing a few games, I noticed that MR is much harder to get and starting with 56 MR helps a lot.

Marks you could prob go attack speed or AP, I don't think either makes a huge impact, cause you be tanking damage and disrupting.

Masteries:
0/21/9
3/3 > Resistance
3/3 > Hardiness
3/3 > Strength of Spirit
2/2 > Defensive Mastery
2/3 > Harden Skin
4/4 > Veteran's Scars - Must have for tank Alistar
3/3 > Ardor
1/1 > Tenacity - Also a must have for tank Alistar
3/3 > Good Hands - Usually Worthless, but late game if you do die it does help
3/3 > Perseverance
1/1 > Haste (or Sparital Accuracy)
2/4> Expanded Mind

Summoner spells:
Ghost and Flash, or Teleport and Flash

Items:
I start with Meki and 2 health pots. I then build this into a Chalice. I then usually get Merc's Shoes. Depending if they are more AP or AD heavy I'll get Negtron Cloak and build it into a banshee or a Chainmail and build it into Thornmail. If I get a banshee first I usually get a Quicksilver Sash, or if I got a Thornmail first I will usually get a frozen heart. Sometimes I'll get a Warmog or a Force of nature depending on the situation.

Skills:
1 - pulverize, 2- Headbutt, 3-5 Healing, 6 ULt, and then max Ult and Healing when possible and keep switching between pulverize and Headbutt. This will allow you to stay in the lane much long and still disrupt the enemy team. You don't do much damage but the other team will still be at your mercy.

Disclaimer: I only play normal, so if you want rank check out some guides.

Cercio

05-15-2011

I have about 150ish give or take a few games as alistar always tanking.
I use 9/21/0 masteries for the magic pen
mpen red movement speed quints armor p/lvl yellow mres p/lvl blues
I start off with 2 faerie pendants 2 health pots 1 mana pot
build 3 philosophers stones boots of mobility then aegis then FoN, this allows you to get every where quickly and lane/spam moves all day long
upgrade one stone to shurelias another to the tenacity item then sell the third and buy what ever you need most likely something with armor
I usually run with flash and ignite or fortify. Popping enemies into a fortified turret especially at the lower lvls is a ton of fun

tokindaily

05-19-2011

Core items

dorans shield(gives you 120 health 10 armor and some health regen) cant ask for more to start off
than i get boots of mobility( +2 speed and +5 when out of combat) helps alot especially when your about to die and get out of combat
than i get Aegis of the Legion(+270 health +30 armor +39 MR)
after that its up to you. I build with what the other team is mostly.. but always get something that has health + whatever you need to match the other team

USE THE BUSHES WHEN IN A 2VS2 AND STUN THEM AND HIT THEM TO YOUR TEAMATE AND HOPEFULLY YOUR TEAMATE FINISHES HIM OFF... USE THE BUSHES AS ALISTAR AND YOU WILL DO GOOD

this is what i use and i am 15-2 with him my last 17 fights.