Trouble with early game ryze

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpiderCan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-15-2011

I'm having trouble with playing ryze early games, a lot of times I end up feeding then coming back owning late game. Does anyone else experience this too? not necessarily "feeding" but not doing very great early game. Everything about ryze just seems to suck but scale very nicely late game, the passage on q, the items: cd/mana(spamming+damage)/hp on items, ult actually becomes useful at level 2/3... I am wondering what runes people are getting for ryze. Do you pick early game survivability? He doesn't seem to need much help late game...

konfetarius

05-15-2011

The only Ryzes I saw that do well early game are those that stacked mana runes.

If you don't, your damage efficiency and # spells you can cast is too low in the first 4 levels to be threatening to any of the strong laners..

NickPham

05-15-2011

Mana Crystal + 2 HP pots. 0/9/21 Masteries, and preferably flat mana quints + glyphs. I've had great success with Magic Pen Quints, but I find I don't have enough mana to sustain my harrass on those few occasions I'm against champs that stack early health or have it naturally.

Early game is actually where Ryze shines because with this build, he will come out ahead in harassment against many common mid champions. Overload has strong early damage with this build, and ridiculous range. Pre-nerf he could outlane Vlad, not so sure now.

A notable common one you have to look for is Ashe. If you let her hit you with her first attack (100% crit), then you will be severely weakened for the rest of the laning phase.

Follow up as fast as you can with tear and Sorc. Movespeed 2 and 20 magicpen will give you that kick you want to transition smoothly into mid game. If your team is willing to feed u blue buffs, go straight banshees, if not weigh the pros and cons of a fast glacial. Ryze's output and ganking ability increases amazingly with CDR, so it's a priority. At 30% CDR, you can often get off two rune prisons in a single gank (INSANE).

The most consistent way to have a terrible early game with Ryze is actually a rather intuitive build path. DON'T BUILD ROA. RoA will gimp your performance throughout the MOST the game. Even with its scaling, the humongous delay on your mid game capabilities (the most important part of the game for Ryze) is crippling. RoA costs slightly more than a naked Catalyst + Glacial. Banshees and Glacial Shroud are both essential pieces of Ryze's core, and cannot afford to be delayed. On into late game, which sounds like a scarier build to be up against?

Sorc+RoA (full stack)+Banshees+Frozen Heart+Tear
Sorc+Banshees+Frozen Heart+Abyssal

If you don't think it's the second one, then you are mistaken. With spell flux Ryze can rip away the MR of most non tanks to 0! This is why the damage output having a faster Abyssal over a stacked RoA is stronger. At the same time if you consider the survivability, with only banshees Ryze sits at 85ish MR. Pretty high but still low enough to be vulnerable. Abyssal will push him into 150 MR on top of Frozen's 200 Armor.

TL : DR - Don't buy RoA, and Flat Mana Runes are bomb on Ryze.

EleJames

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-15-2011

ryse is really weak early, you just need to rush a tear and boots. then buy mana crystals

Warrrrax

05-16-2011

Ryze is a bit weak early, but heres what I do:

0-9-21. This gives you some CDR and utility while adding 6 armor/MR and str of spirit is very strong for giving you health regen. I find this better than even the mighty 15% pierce.

Start with E. For 60 mana it hits 5 times for 50 damage each. This is a lot better than your Q which is 70 mana for about 70 damage. It is likely that you will hit enemies twice with the bouncer.
Mana efficient harass/damage is important early on.

At 2 and 3, take Q. At level 3 youve gained another 100 mana and your Q has increased to a good 150 damage for 70 mana. You can now use it as a cost-effecitve nuke. In some cases you will take 1 point of imprison and Q at 3,4,5. You must decide which, but I generally prefer the stronger Q earlier.

I take the sapphire crystal and upgrade to a CATALYST, not tear! Catalyst gives you over 200 health and mana every 2 minutes or so which is HUGE, and it also increases your health significantly making it a lot harder to kill you.

THEN, get the tear. You dont lose much time from this but it really helps your overall ability to spam and take damage/heal to take this after catalyst.

Then upgrade to Rod for the big mana/health boost, and take whatever from there. I usually look at a Negatron then Chainmail to Glacial Shroud, then banshee.

unrealshant

07-20-2011

wait why not rod of the ages it gives mana heath and ap, i think it is a great item on ryze

ReLaTiviT

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealshant View Post
wait why not rod of the ages it gives mana heath and ap, i think it is a great item on ryze
You do get it, but you need the Tear first to start working for the 1000 mana.

Redenbacher

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealshant View Post
It's a balance between time and effectiveness.

With Ryze's standard build, you don't need what RoA provides. His AP ratios are pretty horrible, and you're already going to build Banshee's Veil.

You can waste all that time building up an RoA, or already have completed your Glacial Shroud. The CDR is TREMENDOUSLY more important than anything on RoA.

Tear -> Sorc Shoes -> Catalyst/Glacial Shroud -> Bveil -> Abyssal Scepter/Frozen Heart.

Now you're sitting on about 3k mana, with plenty of health and mitigation. Finish your Archangel Staff. Bam. 200 AP to help boost you in to the end-game. Then you can build Rabadon's for 500 AP, or get another tanky item like Rylai's.

It's all timing. The sooner you finish Glacial Shroud, the sooner you start carrying. Yes, it's that important. There's no time for RoA, it slows down your carry status way too much.

Degato

07-20-2011

I've always wanted to try flat mana runes on Ryze but I hate buying runes I won't use on any other champ.

Destabilizator

07-20-2011

Flat blue runes are for Ryze and Pantheon (epic for him), they are cheap, so don't hesitate. 600ish mana with Sapphire is awesome. If the enemies have regen/healing, leave them, focus on farming for Tear asap, then you can start harassing them too.
After Tear/Catalyst, you start to kick in