Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Cassiopeia a weaker Karthus?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

S B

05-14-2011

I'm thinking of buying Cassiopeia (gotta save up first lol), but I'm def gonna play whenever she becomes available free week.

But when talking to a friend about Cass, he pointed out how her skills are pretty much inferior to Karthus's. Is it true? Is she really just a weaker Karthus? I know the difference between Ults, but would my money better be spent on Karthus (who I will never buy/play, I just don't like him).

Any Cass players care to elaborate?

Sengara

05-14-2011

I really like Cass. Shes got a a lot of spell sustainability with her passive, and deals surprisingly high dmg, and has a pretty helpful Ulti if you land it right in a team fight.

That being said, Karthas is much better. His slow is more reliable and covers much more ground (not to mention the debuff being better then Cass's 200-300 dmg it will deal in team fights provided ppl have half a brain cell).

That and a global AOE nuke is so unique and powerful that Cass's 500 (pulled that number out of thin air, it's a short range for an ulti on a caster) range AOE is pretty bad in comparison, even with a stun component.

Cass is fun, shes powerful played right. But if you wanted to be pro, it's probably better worth your time to learn a different champ.

Fluffy1

05-14-2011

her Q is larger area aoe and does way more damage. but its 3 sec CD compared to 2. this is where the similaities end cause for karthus to do more damage he needs to use his E which means he has to be on top of people, cass can sit back and pound away from good range untill the opportunity to ult where she uses speed boost from her Q to dash forward and stun/slow a whole team using the CC time to move back and keep up the constant damage.

Medusa

05-14-2011

Dont compare either, other then their Q's. Go ahead and save up, may take a bit longer to get consistent then most other champs but its worth it.

Mitch Bade

05-14-2011

I kill Karthus so so easily when I play Cass. I usually have the best k/d/a on my team too. I have the perfect build that makes Cass a monster to play against, and in my opinion she is better than Karthus. Karthus is so easily countered.

With Cass, I have higher sustained damage and massive kiting ability. You can't compare these two champs though. Just because they have similar Q's it doesn't mean they are similar.

Cass's play style is incredibly different, and she has Hard and Soft CC, and a speed boost. I've played over 150 games with Cass though, so I can't vouche for other Cass players.

S B

05-14-2011

Staying back and poking is more of my type of playstyle, so I think it wouldn't be too hard to transition into her. I RARELY see any, so is she a Mid character, solo lane, duo lane?

Quote:
Mitch Bade:
I kill Karthus so so easily when I play Cass. I usually have the best k/d/a on my team too. I have the perfect build that makes Cass a monster to play against, and in my opinion she is better than Karthus. Karthus is so easily countered.

With Cass, I have higher sustained damage and massive kiting ability. You can't compare these two champs though. Just because they have similar Q's it doesn't mean they are similar.

Cass's play style is incredibly different, and she has Hard and Soft CC, and a speed boost. I've played over 150 games with Cass though, so I can't vouche for other Cass players.

Would you use your ult to initiate a teamfight? Or would you save it like Fluffy1 mentioned? How do you build her? I've been reading up some guides on her just to get a feel for her but I got a long way to go before I have the money for her.

Medusa

05-14-2011

She can do well in any lane (a partner to compliment her skills or alone to just focus harassing with NB etc.)

Wangster

05-14-2011

Cass seems like the opposite of Karthus. Karthus has insane amounts of AoE damage which requires you to be in the middle of the team fight. Cass has insane amounts of ST damage and a bit of AoE, and you usually stay on the outside poking.

Silverbel

05-14-2011

Cassie's main similarity to Karthus is her Noxious.

She has a ranged attack that speeds her up, a ranged attack that slows the enemy, and all her skills are damage over time. She can also burst damage very fast and damage/CC everyone in a cone.

It's vaguely as if the designer for Karthus wanted to try something else.

Karthus is most dangerous when he is close or your HP is low. Cassie is dangerous when she is far, and your HP is low.

In my opinion, they are both defensive laning champs.
Karthus is a close-up version, who gets in people's faces.
Cassie is a distance version, who zones, kites, and pushes.

Kuryaka

05-14-2011

Cass can farm so much better than Karthus, with much more survivability. AP soft carry - no nuke, no PEW PEW EVERYONE DIES, but the AOE poisons help you safely deal damage in a teamfight.

Q is the only skill which resembles Karthus's skills, and even that is more powerful, with a longer CD and a poison effect. You lack quick, instant damage, but Twin Fang on a poisoned enemy has the most sustained DPS of any spell. Not a skillshot, so it doesn't need aiming like Karthus Q. 260 base damage at lv5 with decent scaling, and the equivalent of about 1.5 hits per second.

I generally save the ult for escaping or when we run out of stuns. If you're going to initiate as a mage, prepare to get hit badly.

In a teamfight, Miasma is actually pretty useful. No need to worry about if they're poisoned from Noxious Blast or not, just chuck poison and fire away.