Ability Power

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evilpigeon

Adjudicator

08-28-2009

Alright I've been playing as Fiddlesticks and I was wondering whether anyone could tell me:

How much ability power should I be getting on a spellcasting character?

How does the relationship between ability power and the amount of damage added work? - Maths I know but I'm trying to find out whether there is a damage limit and how much of a difference it makes taking my Ap over 400

Thanks for any answers

eXes

08-28-2009

Every spell has a own ability power ratio, for example Spell x has a 1:1 ability power ratio. Then if you have 100 ability power, the spell does 100 more damage. Every point of ability power is effective damage on the spells. There is no diminishing returns or a cap for ability power, so the more AP you get the more damage you do.

Mr Tibbers

08-28-2009

eXes has it right. For example, the AP Scaling on Gangplank absolutely sucks. Annie's could be better. Anivia's rocks, and so does Viegar's. It's all in the champion, really.

Evilpigeon

Adjudicator

08-28-2009

hmm okay, I swear my increases seemed to be slowing down as I got more... where can i find out these ratios

Ponies Gonna Pwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

08-28-2009

The ratios aren't explicitly posted anywhere. You can test them by going into a practice game and buying an Amplifying Tome and two Blasting Wands and checking what your bonus is.

flankd

The Council

08-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tibbers View Post
eXes has it right. For example, the AP Scaling on Gangplank absolutely sucks. Annie's could be better. Anivia's rocks, and so does Viegar's. It's all in the champion, really.
of course he has it right... look at his avatar...

Thistledown

08-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilpigeon View Post
hmm okay, I swear my increases seemed to be slowing down as I got more... where can i find out these ratios
You might just be seeing the same size drop in a progressively larger pool, so to speak.

Also, a simple way to test ratios in game is start a practice match, get exactly 100 AP, and then check your +n on your ability. Your ratio is n:100 conversion.

Archimonde

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2009

Highest I had was about 750 with Karthus. Could've gone higher.

The Swedish Chef

08-28-2009

Anivia's AP gain on all of her spells happens to be 50% of what her current AP is.

Evilpigeon

Adjudicator

08-29-2009

Thanks for the replies, fyi from a little testing I think Fiddlestick's dmg gain : Ap ratio is about 1:3 save for darkwind which is a bit lower, probably closer to a quarter