[Champion Suggestion] Leon, Ranger of Demacia

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nordu

05-14-2011

SORRY FOR THE LENGTH!!! I have bolded the various elements of my suggestion, so feel free to skip things that don't interest you and only comment of specific parts (EG: if you don't want to read his poorly written backstory and just comment on his gameplay, go ahead :] )

CONCEPT: A ranger, adept in the use of bow or blades. AD carry with versatility that allows you to adjust to different situations that you may be put into. His aesthetics are somewhat up in the air, but a cape is a must :P

Like Karma, Leon has no ultimate, instead his [R] ability switches him from "bow mode" to "swords mode". It will have a cast time, during which he cannot use any abilities or attack. This cast time will not be reduced as he levels, but his [E] ability will make it overall easier to switch as he levels
Additionally, his auto attack damage will be lower in Bow mode than in Blade mode.

STORY (Very Open To Changes):
Leon is not the typical warrior of Demacia. While most serve Demacia with heavy armor and great weapons, Leon prefers the use of a bow and light blades, striking his opponents down with finesse and accuracy rather than through brute strength.

Leon was born in a small village in the wilds of Valoran. He lived as a hunter: adept with the bow and at home in the forests, even as a child. He returned from a hunting trip one day to find his village destroyed and his family killed by the Noxus military. He was eventually found by a Demacian scouting party, who took the young boy back to Demacia proper.
Vowing revenge against Noxus, he joined the Demacian Military as soon as they would let him, and prospered in the art of swords just as he had with the art of the bow. Though some in the Demacian command frown upon archery as cowardly, Leon's bravery and dedication to his martial skills have silenced any who would criticize him.

SKILLS

Passive:
Bow Mode: Ranger's Aim: Leon gains 10% armor penetration (increased by 5% at levels 6 and 11) after not receiving damage for 7 seconds.
Blade Mode: Ranger's Viciousness: Leon gains the same amount of armor penetration after taking damage for ~3 seconds.

[Q] Ability:
Bow Mode: True Shot: Leon take aim and fires an arrow which deals weapon damage plus a flat amount and ignores a percentage of armor based on rank. Skillshot.
Blade Mode: Crippling Strike: Leon strikes at the legs of the target, slowing their movement by a percentage for 2 seconds. Duration refreshed with auto-attacks and capped per level (eg capped at 3.5/4/4.5/5/5.5/6 total seconds).

[W] Ability:
Bow Mode: Piercing Arrow: Leon Shoots a piercing arrow which strikes all targets it passes through and deals more damage the longer it flies. A skillshot which travels about the range of sight. Dmg increased per level.
Blade Mode: Whirlwind Strike: Leon Strikes all targets in a short range around him for weapon damage plus a flat amount. Applies on-hit effects twice to all targets in range. Cooldown is reduced by autoattacks.

[E] Ability:
Dexterity: Gives a boost to attack speed (in Bow Mode) or movement speed (in Blades mode) and allows for an instant switch between Bow and Blade Mode. Buff does not change from the mode in which it is initiated (So if you start in Blade mode and then switch to Bow Mode, you will still have a Movement speed buff for the duration of Dexterity's active). Cooldown is reduced and duration of buff increased by level.

[R] Ability:
Switch Weapons: Leon switches to his currently unused weapons. He cannot attack or use abilities while switching weapons.

A BREIF DISCUSSION ON BALANCE AND MY RATIONAL FOR HIS ABILITIES AND STATS

These are the "Ezreal Standards" put forth by a wonderful forum goer Darmikau and then expanded by Volty in this thread (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...tandard&page=4)

1 - Skill shots should always be more damaging than other abilities because they are significantly less reliable. Adjustments are made according to the speed, size, and forgiveness (e.g. cooldown) of the skillshot.
2 - Champions with high mobility should always have a damage trade-off. No champion should be both highly mobile and highly damaging. They will either have high damage with low mobility, low damage with high mobility, or a balance between the two.
3 - Champions that are difficult to play should always be equally as rewarding as champions that are easy to play when the difficult champion is played well.
4 - Range should should come with a cost. Range extends to all the ways a champion can exert influence.
5 - AoE damage should come with a cost.

Given this:

1) Leon has only one skillshot that serves multiple roles, this is meant to do a good amount of damage when used against only one target though.
2) Leon has a low-medium level of mobility, and so has a this contributes to slightly higher damage.
3) Leon is somewhat difficult because he has essentially 6 skills instead of 4. Regardless, he is not so hard as to be prohibitively difficult, and is not capable of more damage with greater adeptness with him (rather, I feel that he should get more utility as you get better with him).
4) Range does come with a cost on Leon, and even in Bow mode he doesn't have many harassment abilities (save for piercing shot).
5) Only Leon's [W] abilities are AOE, and Piercing shot is meant to serve more than just that role.

Because of this I feel that Leon should have high autoattack damage in melee, and medium autoattack damage at range.

Another important design point is that every champion should have a weakness. Leon's weakness is that he has poor AoE, that he has fewer tools to deal with someone who stacks health instead of armor, and that he can be caught out of position somewhat easily. A Leon player must be aware of possible ganks against him while he is in ranged mode, as he has no way to boost speed outside of ghost.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I am very open to any and all changes, and am excited to hear what everyone thinks

CroMoX

05-14-2011

Passive seems useless since you gain armor pen when not hit for 7 seconds. To hard to get if u ask me and keep. I don't like it i would say Rework. But if you were going with this how do you switch Modes?

TBH i dont really like any of these abilities. There to hard to get a combo with or to get a kill without ksing. Also not to be picky about the name I would change it since your a swordsman aswell.

Overall. Needs reworks

I will not dislike since its a IDEA.

Nordu

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by woffy View Post
Passive seems useless since you gain armor pen when not hit for 7 seconds. To hard to get if u ask me and keep. I don't like it i would say Rework. But if you were going with this how do you switch Modes?
The [R] ability is how you switch modes. Also, you're not meant to have armor pen with this guy in ranged mode unless you're being super careful or running to a fight, that's the point :P

Quote:

TBH i dont really like any of these abilities. There to hard to get a combo with or to get a kill without ksing.

Could you be more specific about what you don't like about the specific abilities? (like what you dislike about a given one).

I don't think they're that hard. take, for example, this situation:

You sit at range against a target (say you wait in bush until an opponent overextends) then shoot your piercing shot, and then vital shot, closing while doing so, and using your [E] to switch to melee mode with an attack speed buff. Then, assuming you have some sort of slow from your friends/your exhaust, you cut the target up :]

Quote:
Also not to be picky about the name I would change it since your a swordsman aswell.
Hey, rangers use swords! A ranger technically speaks more to a mobile strike type force in a military sense.

Quote:
Overall. Needs reworks

I will not dislike since its a IDEA
Do you have any specific suggestions for improvement? Any ideas you have for improvement, that is?

Thank you for your thoughts!!!

CroMoX

05-14-2011

Quote:
Could you be more specific about what you don't like about the specific abilities? (like what you dislike about a given one).
Q - Bow Mode: Not original. Similar to Vayne ability unless its a Skill shot. If it is say it is and I will be fine with that part of the ability.
Blade Mode: Like the idea of striking the legs although it seems OP for a slow for 8 seconds when you re-apply slow. Be more specific so we can judge for sure how OP it is.

W - Bow Mode: This is like Sivir and Nid combined. Longer the range more damage but if it hits a target it will deal less. I think thats interesting but I wouldn't make it more people it hits the less damage. I would just make it deal less than Nids at long range if its going to be able to hit multiple targets.
Blade Mode: Its been done by Renekton and Akali. If you want to make it unique I would add in: On hit affects. This would make him a good AD character if u get Frozen Mallet. Or you can make it for every person you hit you gain 2/3/4/5/6% lifesteal for 5 seconds.

E - This ability I don't know if its any good or bad unless you tell us the switch speed between weapons on your ultimate. Bonuses are fine.

R - Don't like it should be instant switch insead of E having to do that for you. Fix [R] so its like instant switch like Nid and change E

Nordu

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by woffy View Post
Q - Bow Mode: Not original. Similar to Vayne ability unless its a Skill shot. If it is say it is and I will be fine with that part of the ability.
Blade Mode: Like the idea of striking the legs although it seems OP for a slow for 8 seconds when you re-apply slow. Be more specific so we can judge for sure how OP it is.
It wasn't meant to be a skill shot but that does make sense. I'm going to go back and make it so :P
8 seconds does seem a bit much, how about adding .5 seconds each rank instead to a max of 6?

Quote:
W - Bow Mode: This is like Sivir and Nid combined. Longer the range more damage but if it hits a target it will deal less. I think thats interesting but I wouldn't make it more people it hits the less damage. I would just make it deal less than Nids at long range if its going to be able to hit multiple targets.
Blade Mode: Its been done by Renekton and Akali. If you want to make it unique I would add in: On hit affects. This would make him a good AD character if u get Frozen Mallet. Or you can make it for every person you hit you gain 2/3/4/5/6% lifesteal for 5 seconds.
I think you're right, making Q the skillshot for one target seems to make sense. Will change.

Yes! I think that's perfect for the Whirlwind strike Awesome suggestion.

Quote:
E - This ability I don't know if its any good or bad unless you tell us the switch speed between weapons on your ultimate. Bonuses are fine.
Okay.

Quote:
R - Don't like it should be instant switch insead of E having to do that for you. Fix [R] so its like instant switch like Nid and change E
I feel like making [R] always instant would harm the flavor of this guy. I want which mode you are in to be a serious consideration before engagement, and not something that can be switched around too often. Obviously [E] keeps you from being locked in under fire, but you still can't switch too much. I may be open to making [E] offer many instant switches over its cooldown, however.

Nordu

05-14-2011

Another important distinction I want to make: I know there are some parallels with Nidalee here, but I want this to be different flavor and mechanics-wise. Nidalee switches from caster/support type to mdps, while Leon would switch simply between range and mdps. He is always meant to be an AD carry, and always meant to do damage.