Trouble farming with Shen post-patch

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anshin

05-13-2011

With the nerfs to Shen's damage, as well as Sunfire cape, I have a hard time getting the gold to get tank items. I usually end up going Doran's shield->boots1->heart of gold->merc treads but after that creep health gets high enough that it becomes incredibly difficult to get gold. Even with both Greed and HoG getting something like a Sunfire cape is not easy, and it only gets harder.

I don't really want to buy a damage item, but I don't know what else to do. Any advice?

Lancefighter

05-13-2011

Usually as shen you can lasthit with q and passive..

The thing you really should be doing is ALWAYS farming. If your ult is up, FARM. If your ult isnt up, you better have ulted to coutnergank and take a tower, which is gold+assists.

Also, I know this is really bad, but I try to killst... killsecure early on with vorpal blade spam, etc.

Anshin

05-13-2011

Last hitting becomes more and more difficult as the game goes on. Your damage doesn't really scale, and other champs begin to just wreck entire waves in 2-3 spells. Even if I do go to a deserted lane because I have ult, it takes a VERY long time to last hit an entire minion wave.

I am starting to think I am just skilling him wrong, as I have been going E->W->Q in terms of priority. This may be a huge mistake. Or should I even consider some kind of HP+AP item like Haunting Guise?

Astral Yorae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-13-2011

If you really need hard money, try getting smite.
It's a free creep kill with added 5 gold if you have the mastery. I love it.
Give it a try before flaming. You will feel the difference along the match.

Lancefighter

05-13-2011

i level r>q>e>w. q is very good at lasthitting early, and harass, and its just so useful. w is useful early if you need anti-harass against like zilean or malph, but mostly taunt midgame, with q early game. Late game w adds a fair deal of tanking ability because of resists, but this isnt about late game really.

Sunfire helps a tad with farming, and shen has decent attackspeed. I bring AD reds on my standard tank page, so that helps a bit. Even with the sunfire nerf its strong enough to clear waves *eventually*. A midgame rylais cant really hurt, but it doesnt add that a ton of damage. A haunting guise just doesnt actually add much ap..

I R Orc Peon

05-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BystanderFrenzy View Post
With the nerfs to Shen's damage, as well as Sunfire cape, I have a hard time getting the gold to get tank items. I usually end up going Doran's shield->boots1->heart of gold->merc treads but after that creep health gets high enough that it becomes incredibly difficult to get gold. Even with both Greed and HoG getting something like a Sunfire cape is not easy, and it only gets harder.

I don't really want to buy a damage item, but I don't know what else to do. Any advice?
Havent played him since this latest nerf so while Im sure his last hitting potential is lower, It shouldnt be that bad.
I do see some things you are doing wrong. First.. dont get dorans shield. Get a ruby crystal.
And dont get sunfire cape unless you need to push the side lanes solo while waiting for ulti moments.
And only pick E over Q if you are 100% sure of first blood. If not go Q and get every single last hit, out farming the solo mids. Screw the carry.. they can get their gold when you assist on their kills.

Are you standing with your team mid a lot?.. dont Shen dosnt do 5v5 stand offs well.. He cant harass or initiate well in those cases and he sure as hell cant farm. Go jungling or turn the creep pushes around in the other lanes.. maybe take a few swings at a tower.

Maybe they send someone after you.. and then you wont be missed for a 5v5 in mid and your team can go and start a 4v4 or 4v3 and you can jump in and make it a 5v4 or 3. Or if they dont you can happily farm on until an ulti moment arives, saving the day, getting some kills and assists.

And you dont really need that many tanky items on Shen.. Well, they help, like they help on any champ. But ideally someone else on your team is the tanky initiator and you are just there to make sure their initiate sticks and doesnt kill them.

Anshin

05-13-2011

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think if I get an extra level or two of Q it might help, as well as focusing more on lane farming when ult/teleport are up. I also think there is some merit to Rylai's since Q would do the full 35%, and both the AP and health are beneficial, but I will have to try it out. Maybe instead of going Sunfire and getting armor instead through Aegis/Randuins.