Vayne in Team Fights: Tips Please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Venks

05-12-2011

Currently my build is:
Doran's Blade
Boots->Berserker's
Phantom Dancer
Phantom Dancer(Yes I get two)
Black Cleaver
(Typically the game ends here but I try to go for a Banshee veil to survive stuns).

Anyways I have speed like no tomorrow and I can gank anyone foolish enough to step on my side of the map no matter where I'm at. The attack speed I have makes me do all sorts f insane true damage so I kill Tanks pretty fast, and with the black cleaver I split squishies almost instantly.

The only problem is I'm never alive to do any damage in team fights. I either die by:
1) Vlad/Brand/Lux AE ults all over the place.
2) The enemy champs walk past my team mates chasing me down not caring about anyone else's damage so they can squish me very quickly.

In the case of AEs I typically try to stay back and that hasn't been too much a problem, but if I so much as get whiffed by an ult that's typically 50% or more of my health gone. Also I can't tell you how many times Tyrandemere has twirled over to me killing me instantly. I'll stay away a bit with invisibility but that wears off so fast.

Eviant

05-12-2011

Here is the build that worked for me.
Phantom Dancer
Beserker Greaves
Starks
Frozen mallet
Infinity Edge
And Black Cleaver

It gives me 325 health, a slow, and 20% lifesteal over yours, plus ARM pen, Lifesteal, Attack speed and Health regen for your team. I was at 2.2 attack speed, critting for like 600 a hit (65% chance), popping my true damage twice every 3 seconds, and able to kite, roll and position myself.

I'd start with Phage, work into building Emblem followed by BF sword. Gives you some nice early game survivability. You got no attack speed, and no crit, but we are looking to get you through the early game alive lol. I'd get the Attack speed of Starks first, to round out everything, then build everything as you see fit.

As for tips in the team fight? Stay out of the actual fight, shooting into the middle if possible. Be one of the last to enter, and use the rolls to keep your damage high, position your stuns, And chase your targets. Basically, you want to be as hard to focus as possible, using your tumbles to blink in and out of the fight, picking on Ashe, Malz, or any other squishy. It's seeming to be the way to play her.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional player. I can only speak from my own experiences, and yes, I do play alot of assassins. Vayne seems to play alot like them, picking off targets. However, Don't start flaming me. Thank you

ESL

02-24-2012

Here's my build. It makes you kinda squishy but i'm a experienced vayne nand i can survuve in team fights.
Boots 3 pots if your support can't heal you and you need sustain./ D blade for support that can heal you well

Boots-2 d blades/d blade- boots one more d blade.

IE for damage

Vampiric septer

Zeal

Trun vampiric into BT/Turn zeal in to PD

Finish those two.

Sell one d blade for QSS if they have supresses or a lot of cc that you can't cleanse them all.

If they don't then get last whisper.

If you are carying hard then you sell the two d blades for last whisper and tri force

If you are not then sell them for Qss and last Whisper.

Sometimes you may need to get madreads but chances are unlikely.

DracRevan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2012

Get the defensive item earlier.
Stay even farther behind allies or learn to kite.
Save conviction to knock them back.

Perusal

02-24-2012

Get beserker greaves, bloodthirster, 2 phantoms, 1 infinity's edge, and 1 trinity force.

This build is so strong that i killed malzahar before he had a chance to click R

Carados

02-24-2012

Don't stack attack speed. All of Vayne's scaling comes from AD. Her W is her worst skill and her smallest damage output, even if you're stacking attack speed and attacking a target with high HP and armor.

Phantom Dancer before AD is a great way to be useless as Vayne.

Standard opening into IE+Vamp, Phantom Dancer. Situational from there. Bloodthirster and then a Last Whisper are your best opitions for damage. Atma's, Banshee's, and GA are your best defensive items.

You build attack speed to amplify your huge AD. Your steroids are your E (scales on attack damage, reliable stun, huge nuke) and your Q (only good with a large amount of AD, so you don't level it until you get AD).

R>E>Q>W, as her skills would tell you.

That way you'll actually do damage.

Like all ranged carrys, pick the target that is safe to attack. If you can only attack a hugely defensive target, attack them but don't stick to them if a better target appears.

You need to move between every autoattack as a ranged carry. Positioning is 100% on ranged carries.

GeneralSpank

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
You build attack speed to amplify your huge AD. Your steroids are your E (scales on attack damage, reliable stun, huge nuke) and your Q (only good with a large amount of AD, so you don't level it until you get AD).
Your E is only a "nuke" early game, and if you can get both portions of the damage. E is also not a "Steriod". I really don't know what you're thinking, lol.

Early game I always level W over E for the simple that that it's true damage and cannot be reduced by Soraka armor increase, or natural armor AD carries bottom have. To successfully get the proper damage, your harassment should go as follows:

Take a pop shot at the enemy to get one ring around the enemy. Make another auto-attack if it's safe and follow up with Q. I've knocked AD carries from full HP to half or under with this combo, and it's much easier to pull off then trying to pin a good player to a wall. Since "DPS" stands for "Damage per second", you'll have higher DPS going this route and better harass while waiting for your E to get off cooldown.

As for your items, I agree. However, I tend to rush BT over IE in most cases due to the fact that Vayne's auto-attack range is a tad short and having high amounts of lifesteal can save your life in most situations. It also cost less, allowing you to build your PD much quicker. This is just my preference. Either BT or IE first works.

The build I use:
Beserker Greeves
Bloodthirster
Phantom Dancer
Infinity Edge
Trinity Force/Black Cleaver/Last Whisper
Guardian Angel

@OP, do not stack attack speed so early in the game. Judging by your build order, you don't even have any damage items until later in the game, making you effectively useless unless you get all 3 attacks off. You need to rush a BF sword after your two Dorans and boots. The true damage on W is more helpful mid/late game when tanks start stacking armor.

Carados

02-24-2012

You are bad at Vayne and shouldn't be giving advice if you level a spell that does nothing early game over one of the best early game spells in the game.

It's a nuke early game. You level it first because it's all of your damage early game, and it's your best skill for laning. a % of max HP skill that doesn't do much damage LATE GAME is even WORSE early game.

You can't harass against Soraka. You need to BURST to kill her/her lane mate. That's why you take the nuke and the stun.

GeneralSpank

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviant View Post
Here is the build that worked for me.
Phantom Dancer
Beserker Greaves
Starks
Frozen mallet
Infinity Edge
And Black Cleaver
The major problem I see in your build is you don't even start building damage until after you've purchased some really expensive items. Some games don't last past 20 minutes. I don't see you being an effective AD carry with such small damage throughout early/mid game.

Also, there should be no reason at all that you should buy Frozen Mallet. Most of the time, your bruiser buys it. You, as the AD carry, should be focused on getting Lizard buff to get a slow. If you just focus on getting lizard buff you can buy a more valuable item over Frozen Mallet, like bloodthirster. The lifesteal from this coupled with 2 Doran's blades and 3% from masteries can keep you alive in most dueling situations.

Madfriar

02-24-2012

You need lifesteal to do good on Vayne. Wriggles is great and cheap, and Bloodthirster is good as well. You can also go 2X dorans + vamp scepter and not upgrade it till endgame.

In teamfights you need to "try" to fight 1v1. Not in a literal sense necisarily, but what you need to be doing is avoiding the chaos of the team fight. You cannot afford to get stunned or hit by aoe's and such because you will drop extremely fast.

Vayne beats anyone 1v1 basically so use that to your advantage. Get good positioning and use walls to stun people. Your priority is for the most part to kill whatever is available while not taking hits.