Frozen Mallet on Vayne?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thazdoom

05-13-2011

Why bother? If you have trouble catching people you're doing it wrong I find. I think that sheen into tri is very strong.. but I tend to want to get a cleaver too.. as damage, AS and armor pen are all great on her.

I R Orc Peon

05-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamaru View Post
my point is you don't build TF for the slow
You dont?

Ever notice the slow is more powerful on phage/TF. Its not as reliable though, being chance based. And thats why people sometimes go TF + Frozen Mallet.

But if you attack often enough its a much better item. Especially for skills that proc on hit effects.. GP and MF can just keep spamming their Qs till the proc hits and then its an initiator. Combined with auto attacking its a "guaranteed" superior slow every 2-3 seconds. Letting you catch up to someone who was shooting back with just a Frozen Mallet.

And then there are the other bonuses like attack speed and movespeed, helping you put that slow on even better, compared to just a Frozen Mallet + 1000g

Etherimp

05-13-2011

If you have problems catching people as Vayne, then you're doing something terribly wrong.

TF is a better item, unless you're going for survivability...

In my opinion, survivability isn't an issue with a vayne who fires 5 shots in 2 seconds, 4 of them which will crit, 2 of which include bonus damage, 1 of which hits for several percentage points of someones max HP in TRUE damage (unmitigatable). Combine that with your ultimate, and Condemn, and you pretty much cut through anyone like butter.

Of course, you don't rush in first, and you try to avoid getting focused, or you WILL die and you will die quickly.. But if you can do what an assassin is supposed to do and GET IN, KILL, GET OUT, then it's well worth it. Even if I do die after an engagement, it's usually after I've taken all of their carries and support characters out.

TLR? You're an anti-carry and your job is to not get focused and kill squishies. Best way to do this is quickly. Best way to kill quickly with Vayne is Attack Speed. She doesn't need a slow. Between Triforce, her passive, her ultimate, tumble, ghost, and flash, she has no problem with enemies getting away, EVER.

Mooiboy

05-13-2011

TF.. after TF i prefer going for Phantom and IE..

Ur a really fast pain in the ass now.. with a chance of slow. U dont need more slow by then. If u dont want to be that kind of a glass canon u can go for Frozen mallet then, but still prefer a banshees after TF, PD and IE.

Redenbacher

05-13-2011

IF it's between TF and Frozen Mallet, I'd take TF.

You really don't need a Frozen Mallet for the slow over a phage, since 1 in 3 shots is a slow. Attack, Roll, Attack, is 3 quick shots - 1 of which may proc a slow.

If you're getting FM for the survivability (since you really shouldn't have a problem sticking to people with a passive movespeed buff, and a knockback/stun), I'd rather have Banshee's Veil.

Jericho Hill

05-13-2011

Triforce first then F. Mallet

Triforce is a no brainer

Mallet is never "bad"

So to answer your question . . . as long as you buy Triforce before then F. Mallet is NOT a complete waste of gold.

Redenbacher

05-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho Hill View Post
Triforce first then F. Mallet

Triforce is a no brainer

Mallet is never "bad"

So to answer your question . . . as long as you buy Triforce before then F. Mallet is NOT a complete waste of gold.
Mallet is never bad, and is never a complete waste of gold...

...but that doesn't mean there aren't often better options.

Stacking up on items that help you stick to your target, won't necessarily help you kill them faster (especially when your champion is built in the first place for sticking to targets). For that same 3200 gold, I could have a mix of items that help me kill my target faster (another BF Sword, more Crit, more AS, etc).

Or - act as a better survivability item (Banshee's, Omen, Warmog's, etc.)

Winnson

05-13-2011

Just for myself, I love the frozen mallet with her, moreso than the Triforce.

sleepnaught

05-13-2011

Too expensive. You will do no damage till you get it and her farm is a bit weak. If you're going Triforce you alrdy have a phage. Also with her passive move speed to the target and a low cooldown Q someone running from you should be a problem. If you need survivability go BV or sunfire like you do on most ranged carry.

Monkeedude

05-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamaru View Post
Need a debate settled. Is frozen mallet good for Vayne or is it a complete waste of gold?

Pro's
you now have an Ashe slow so you can kite like a boss. (No need to rely on red buff)
You should not think of it as relying on red buff but rather using an available resource.

If the team composition suggests Vayne would benefit most from Red buff, I wouldn't bother building Frozen Mallet.